U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 PM
 
104 posts, read 62,712 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

My current boss is transitioning out of his role and relocating to manage one of our other company's locations. He will still have a presence at our location and will train the new boss, but will be primarily working from the other location. His replacement is someone from outside the company. How long does it typically take for a new boss to figure out the general order of his or her employees - who takes on certain responsibilities, who is capable of carrying more of the workload, who is a liability, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2019, 01:57 AM
 
Location: on the wind
7,097 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Reputation: 24019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
My current boss is transitioning out of his role and relocating to manage one of our other company's locations. He will still have a presence at our location and will train the new boss, but will be primarily working from the other location. His replacement is someone from outside the company. How long does it typically take for a new boss to figure out the general order of his or her employees - who takes on certain responsibilities, who is capable of carrying more of the workload, who is a liability, etc?
Your current boss will be training his replacement. I'm sure part of the orientation will include background on the staff he'll be supervising; who will tend to be a good resource, a go-to person and who won't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 AM
 
9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
Reputation: 18394
Since there is a transition phase, the old boss should share this information with the new boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,163 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Reputation: 33158
Shared info, discussions with others, discussions with workers, performance reviews, watching actual work get done, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
Reputation: 22196
For me when I stepped into my role it took me about three months to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of my team. I had information from the previous leadership, but took it with a grain of salt. From experience, people lead differently.

The team I stepped into had three extremely weak people that were given rave reviews. One person under me had been with the company for a year and couldn't tell me about a very simple meeting she had with a client. Every answer was "I don't know". Quick research through our CRM tool found she wasn't contacting clients and had complaints. I let her go.

Another team member knew what he was talking about so lasted a bit longer. However, quickly I saw he wasn't working, put him on a PIP, he didn't improve... gone

Last one was really trying but wasn't cutting it and had to let him go.

For the strength, very similar. The previous leader thought one of my team members was extremely week and should be let go. Working with her for a few weeks I found her to be extremely strong, she just didn't have the confidence. I worked with her and she is now the star and best performer on my team.

So... that is my long way of saying, a new boss should hopefully judge you on their instincts, not the reports from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 PM
 
2,590 posts, read 1,932,509 times
Reputation: 2534
Agree with veuvegirl

Every manager or boss have their own way of working with their team. Especially when you have a new boss with new perspective of what is weak and strong in term of employees performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Reputation: 15528
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
For me when I stepped into my role it took me about three months to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of my team. I had information from the previous leadership, but took it with a grain of salt. From experience, people lead differently.

The team I stepped into had three extremely weak people that were given rave reviews. One person under me had been with the company for a year and couldn't tell me about a very simple meeting she had with a client. Every answer was "I don't know". Quick research through our CRM tool found she wasn't contacting clients and had complaints. I let her go.

Another team member knew what he was talking about so lasted a bit longer. However, quickly I saw he wasn't working, put him on a PIP, he didn't improve... gone

Last one was really trying but wasn't cutting it and had to let him go.

For the strength, very similar. The previous leader thought one of my team members was extremely week and should be let go. Working with her for a few weeks I found her to be extremely strong, she just didn't have the confidence. I worked with her and she is now the star and best performer on my team.

So... that is my long way of saying, a new boss should hopefully judge you on their instincts, not the reports from others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Agree with veuvegirl

Every manager or boss have their own way of working with their team. Especially when you have a new boss with new perspective of what is weak and strong in term of employees performance.
Also agreed.

I have taken over as a manager several times. I have gathered information in a variety of ways. From other managers, from outside clients, direct reports, historical reviews, but mainly from observing their work. As with the quoted posts, I have differed from the conventional wisdom and often supported a demoralized, marginalized employee to success. To be honest and open, I have also made mistakes and misjudged people.

It tends to take 3 months or so before I can make an informed, preliminary judgment on my employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top