U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 PM

10,070 posts, read 4,681,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Right, low-level. Not even 70K a year at the highest step. That's terrible for a college grad.

I mean, if you're living in some low-cost midwest state it might work out...but forget the coasts or any major metro on that kind of salary - you'll be on public assistance in California.
$70k in the Midwest, plus however you want to value the pension and other benefits, not too bad

what you don't see on opm/general gs pay scale is that healthcare (VA) has special pay rates to recruit and retain employees. it goes beyond what the COLA adjustments are
https://apps.opm.gov/SpecialRates/2019/AllSRTables.aspx

and most jobs in California would get public assistance, so your point is what? you think everyone makes over $100k in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 PM

6,988 posts, read 3,881,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Going to point out that no one brings up medical technology, has what he "thinks" he likes, medical microbiology/immunology/virology

and only needs an associate or bachelors degree, and excepted (quicker hiring) government jobs

sure, he could go the masters degree route, and what? he still doesn't actually know what the field is like nor does he know if he likes it. He hasn't actually shadowed someone in the field, other than maybe watching youtube videos about the job highlighting the best of the job and none of the bad

@bobsell, he hasn't been back, he tuned out like he did in college when people were explaining what the degrees did
Just because you guys missed it, doesn't mean he hasn't been back. And even if he hadn't been back is no reason to shut it down; more people than the OP can be interested and stand to gain from the conversation than simply the OP.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM

658 posts, read 488,466 times
Quote:
Going to point out that no one brings up medical technology, has what he "thinks" he likes, medical microbiology/immunology/virology

and only needs an associate or bachelors degree, and excepted (quicker hiring) government jobs
Who wants a Fed job as Clinical Lab personnel? State jobs are way more lucrative.

I did this a year after getting my BS in bio (I'm an MLS not MLT) Its an ok field and pays way more than a msc in bio but the hours are awful. Most open jobs are night shift and you have to slowly claw your way back to day shift when rehired. I was working days for over 2 years, was laid off and had to go back to overnight.

I make over 100k/yr in the Bay Area (yeah so what) by the way. Friends in NYC probably make 70-80k/yr depending on shift, maybe more for supervisor positions. Midwest and south experienced people usually make in the 50s and 60sk. New grads make less in all locations

I want to get a job with reasonable hours and hope to switch to bioinformatics/data science/laboratory software eventually. I also think automation will replace a lot of jobs in the next 10-20 years. Hell I was laid off when I was replaced with automation already in a 5 year career.

Last edited by njbiodude; 03-23-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM

10,070 posts, read 4,681,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Who wants a Fed job as Clinical Lab personnel? [....] Hell I was laid off when I was replaced with automation already in a 5 year career.
That's one reason... Enough openings and change is slow due to congress, layoffs aren't too common. Then there are the displacement programs for people who are. Pretty much takes Congress to approve shutting the facility down. Draw back is change to new technology is as slow

Other "benefit" is getting to move between places and keep time because you stayed in system. Harder at the state/local area due to scale of operations. Hey to keep big city pay while in small towns is another nice thing about it.

Really just pointing out that anything medical for a bio undergrad would need to be medical technology. The other biology jobs for undergrad are fewer and harder to get than a mls degree

If someone wanted to do epidemiology or med school, MLS would let them work and gain experience, employer would pay for additional school, not too many drawbacks considering the alternatives

Last edited by MLSFan; 03-23-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 PM

1,244 posts, read 711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Take those math/statistics skills and get into data science to make $$$$ in the meanwhile and figure out what you want to do.

Look for data science roles in healthcare or pharmaceutical companies.
This !! No need to go to grad school. Take a couple classes and/or a couple certifications then start knocking on doors (IT consulting firms).

2nd choice : Healthcare. Plenty of roles to choose from. Will need to go back to school.

These are two solid options right there.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:33 PM

848 posts, read 643,061 times
You could be a QC microbiologist for a pharmaceuticals company. Pay isn’t amazing around $40-45k to start and a lot of the people I know working in the QC microbiology lab don’t like the work.

I am currently an Analytical Development chemist. I develop methods and validate them before there are sent to QC to perform release and stability studies. I know the frustrations you are going through. I graduated with a BS in chemistry back in 2014 and the only job I landed was a temp job for a paper company paying $17 per hour. I was at that job for almost year before I landed a job as an analytical Chemist for a 500 fortune pharmaceuticals company. I worked there for 2 years until the company started downsizing and now I work for a small pharmaceuticals company in Northeast TN. I currently make $64k and just got a job offer in NC doing the same type of work for $70k.

It has been a struggle for me to navigate through my career but it could be done. I wouldn’t even bother getting a MS in biology or chemistry. If you don’t want to work in pharmaceuticals (it’s a tough industry with strict GMP standards you must follow) I would got to pharmacy, dental, or veterinarian school. Hang in there OP things will get better.

Last edited by Poor Chemist; 03-23-2019 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,101 times
First off, thanks everyone for the replies. You guys have been really helpful and comforting in your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You must get some work experience and at the same time, start paying back your loans. Do whatever you can to get some experience in your field of study. You can always go back to school at another time, with some work experience under your belt.
When I apply to jobs, should I look pay more attention to minimum wage jobs to make some cash in the meantime or entry-level bio jobs? It's looking pretty grim because a lot of bio jobs require some additional experience or certification. And I need an MPH before I can do even try anything in public health. I have more of a drive to get my MPH thanks to you guys but this is the current issue I have right now. I'm still pretty new to the job applying process. Not sure what I should be looking for in the meantime.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM

28,539 posts, read 62,270,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfletc15 View Post
Not sure what I should be looking for in the meantime.
Focus on WHERE. Almost any job that can pay the rent in town X... gets you much.
Once there you can apply as an employed local with good quals.

F'rinstance Baltimore, MD.
A metric tonne of Bio & lab jobs and Hopkins has the best PH school in the world.
UNC-CH has a good PH program but not nearly as many bio jobs.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:14 PM

658 posts, read 488,466 times
Quote:

If someone wanted to do epidemiology or med school, MLS would let them work and gain experience, employer would pay for additional school, not too many drawbacks considering the alternatives
No employer is going to pay for a Med techs med school. An MPH maybe?

As I said it's a good "undergrad degree" (mine had 145 credits and an internship so most people took 5 years) to get certainly.

Entry level pay is decent and the work is tolerable for a while if you don't mind working silly shift hours. But automation will continue to replace jobs and already is affecting many clinical lab personnel.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 703,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Who wants a Fed job as Clinical Lab personnel? State jobs are way more lucrative.
Not if the state is Illinois or other states whose finances are precarious. State, county, and city jobs tend to not get raises. Fed raises are piddling but at least you're getting them.

Quote:
I make over 100k/yr in the Bay Area (yeah so what) by the way.
You could make less elsewhere but the COL will leave more at the end of the moth, meaning your life is better of in flyover country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or