Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM

505 posts, read 502,102 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old and a senior in college, and I have about 4ish years of hospitality experience working various jobs in hotels and resorts. I'm leaving my current job as a line cook at a fine dining restaurant within a "boutique" hotel for a front desk agent job at a local Hampton Inn. It's a bit of a pay cut ($1.50), but considering the work environment at my current job is borderline toxic with constant gossip and upper management issues, I need out.

I found out in the interview that the hotel brand is a part of the Hilton brand, which (after further research) encompasses multiple different branches of hotels and the like, which I wasn't aware of. Aside from my college degree, I have an interest in working in the hospitality industry long term because of the ability to move up and transfer within the industry, as well as the benefits (generally). After I graduate, I would like to move to the LA area, so a job with the Hilton brand really will benefit me in about a year or so.

I just wanted to know, is the Hilton company a good company to work for? In terms of advancement, both in position and pay, as well as benefits and just overall work environment? I'm pretty excited to start, because I've been trying for over 6 months to move up at my current job to the front desk, but didn't have any luck. So despite the pay cut, I'm looking forward to the possibility of a more peaceful and professional work environment
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Hilton Worldwide is a successful hospitality company with several recognizable hotel banners. It should be a stable company with good job security.

What are you looking to do in a career in hospitality and hoteliers?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Hilton Worldwide is a successful hospitality company with several recognizable hotel banners. It should be a stable company with good job security.

What are you looking to do in a career in hospitality and hoteliers?
I don't really have any plans specifically, I just got into it by happenstance and it was something I took a liking for. So I pursued it further as a tangible option for stable employment since my college degree doesn't guarantee a job in that field.

Plus it's really travel friendly, you can work in the industry anywhere you go.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I don't really have any plans specifically, I just got into it by happenstance and it was something I took a liking for. So I pursued it further as a tangible option for stable employment since my college degree doesn't guarantee a job in that field.

Plus it's really travel friendly, you can work in the industry anywhere you go.
You are pursuing a degree in college. What are you majoring in?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You are pursuing a degree in college. What are you majoring in?
I'm going to be getting a B.S. in Social Science and Community Development, and I'm interested in long-term planning, mainly with transportation and transit. But there's no guarantee a job like that is within reach right out of college. So long term professional experience in a good field is just as valuable to me.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I'm going to be getting a B.S. in Social Science and Community Development, and I'm interested in long-term planning, mainly with transportation and transit. But there's no guarantee a job like that is within reach right out of college. So long term professional experience in a good field is just as valuable to me.
First, consider your career focus to transportation and transit companies. You should start somewhere to build and gain experience learning the business. Several companies may have recruiters visiting colleges and universities.

Second, if you seek to advance into a supervisory or management position within your desired career, you should consider pursuing a master's degree.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
I just wanted to know, is the Hilton company a good company to work for?
The question is are you working directly for Hilton? Or you working for a Hilton hotel franchise? A franchise hotel may not offer the same level of benefits a Hilton own property does for starters. Working for a Hilton hotel franchise doesn't get you the same level of employee benefits that a Hilton property has. Hampton Inn are almost all entirely franchise hotel owned hotels with a few exceptions.

Quote:
I just wanted to know, is the Hilton company a good company to work for?
The short answer is yes, but your not going to work for a Hilton hotel, your working for a Hilton Franchise hotel.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 AM

367 posts, read 457,955 times
1) There is no money in hotels.
2) Getting a start with Hilton is as good as any other chain. Whether or not Hilton pays more is up to its individual owners. For instance, a few years ago a friend of mine was offered $1/hr more to work the desk at Red Roof Inn then at Homewood Suites. She interviewed both on consecutive days, got offers one day apart, and guess what.., it wasn't the hotel that charges 3x more that offered more money.
3) There is no money in hotels.
4) Advancement in hotels is dog eat dog. There is no loyalty. In fact most people move up just as you plan on doing here. For example, front desk at Hilton, then moving to an AGM with Marriott, before taking an ultimate GM position with Choice. There is no loyalty in hotel management, as usually when they change a managerial position, it's because a new management company is coming in, or because the owner wants to change things up. An internal promotion doesn't change things up.
5) There is no money in hotels.
6) Take the position with Hilton to get started if this is what you want to do.
7) There is no money in hotels.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Maybe you transfer to such a position at Hilton. Surely they do lots of research on communities before they decide to open a new hotel there. And then they decide which brand. Same thing for when they are looking at getting rid of a hotel. Transportation is part of what they evaluate too - being near airports and interstates and train stations and shuttles, travel times. If you can get into their corporate office positions at some point, it could be a win-win.

Go to Hilton website to see all the different hotel chains that they operate. There are many. They are consistently at or near the top in Consumer Reports. They really treat their customers right.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,818 times
I worked for Hilton as a corporate general manager and currently own multiple Hilton properties. It's been a good experience. The company supports its employees and really gets behind initiatives express by their employees. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment