U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 AM
 
Location: NJ
10,768 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Reputation: 9005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Is anybody on here familiar with Rutgers and RWJ Medical Center?

I see that Rutgers is “affiliated” with RWJ. I see that most of the positions are Union on Rutgers website. I want to apply for jobs via RWJ also but it doesn’t show if it’s a Union job. Are there any Union jobs via RWJ web or do I have to stick with Rutgers web where most of the positions I am qualified for are Union? Thank you in advance
Rutgers has been merging with a lot of places the last few years; they merged with my doctors (UMDNJ) a few (3ish) years ago. I hadn't heard that they merged with Robert Wood Johnson; I went to google RWJ Medical Center; sure enough they've merged with more places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Thank you, I am not a nurse I do the insurance and authorization. I have a Union job now but I like to continue to be in a Union position when I move back
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Very true, and this is exactly why I like my union job and will be applying only for union position when I move back East.
When are you planning to move back and what part of NJ are you looking at? I doubt the jobs you're seeing now will be there for a long length of time as Brunswick is a very busy area.

As I said they merged with my doctors office which the main location is in Stratford which is cheaper then going to Brunswick. There are a lot of hospitals in the area, Cooper trauma center isn't that far away. I'm unsure if Cooper is a union employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,839 posts, read 1,995,739 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
If someone wants union protection, yes, they are choosing to accept that they will work with more casual environment with less ambitious co-workers. There's nothing wrong with that. It's not better or worse. It's different, and it's not for me.

No one is ever rewarded 100% of the time. Nothing is guaranteed, often you do everything right and still fail. There is no such thing as 100% meritocracy or 100% reward. Life isn't fair. That's not a justification for not trying. That's going to be important to learn, or you're going to be upset at a lot of things you shouldn't be. It's extremely odd that you talk in absolutes. That's not how life works.



Things were bad in 2010. It's 2019, nearly a decade later. The job market is better now than it has been in a long time. But you found anecdotal evidence, so that's a decent justification for blaming something else, right?

Bobsell just verbally kicked your butt with a reality check, and you still don't get it. Your entire premise of working harder does not necessarily add value is gibberish. When I read your responses it's like you flip from chapter to chapter in a book named if corporations had their way.

If you are not employed by a pro corporate think tank then what is your story?

Last edited by Tonyafd; 03-23-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,839 posts, read 1,995,739 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
If someone wants union protection, yes, they are choosing to accept that they will work with more casual environment with less ambitious co-workers. There's nothing wrong with that. It's not better or worse. It's different, and it's not for me.
Even though you say "it's just different", you still can't avoid being pejorative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No one is ever rewarded 100% of the time. Nothing is guaranteed, often you do everything right and still fail. There is no such thing as 100% meritocracy or 100% reward. Life isn't fair. That's not a justification for not trying. That's going to be important to learn, or you're going to be upset at a lot of things you shouldn't be. It's extremely odd that you talk in absolutes. That's not how life works.
So dedicating your entire life to the corporation is a crap shoot, isn't it. It's not that some people are less ambitious, maybe they are risk averse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Things were bad in 2010. It's 2019, nearly a decade later. The job market is better now than it has been in a long time. But you found anecdotal evidence, so that's a decent justification for blaming something else, right?

What bobsell is saying is that it's just the same crap shoot that it has always been.
Unions make it less of a crap shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM
 
11,160 posts, read 8,567,464 times
Reputation: 28161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
So dedicating your entire life to the corporation is a crap shoot, isn't it. It's not that some people are less ambitious, maybe they are risk averse.
Is anyone dedicating their entire life to any job? Sure, folks work but it's not a life dedication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,301 posts, read 1,167,145 times
Reputation: 5422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Unions make it less of a crap shoot.
Why is it that I, and millions of others, are able to succeed without having a group of thugs "negotiate" on our behalf and take a chunk of our check for doing so?

Anyone who believes they have or keep a job thanks to a union would be better served by worrying more about doing good work than endlessly complaining. If the boss is always "out to get you", it isn't because you work too hard.

I have no respect for union leeches. I'm glad to see parasitic unions slowly dying off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM
 
42 posts, read 11,742 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why is it that I, and millions of others, are able to succeed without having a group of thugs "negotiate" on our behalf and take a chunk of our check for doing so?

Anyone who believes they have or keep a job thanks to a union would be better served by worrying more about doing good work than endlessly complaining. If the boss is always "out to get you", it isn't because you work too hard.

I have no respect for union leeches. I'm glad to see parasitic unions slowly dying off.
The unionized people I've worked with spend far more time talking to each other than working. They love to brag about the fact that it is very difficult for them to be fired and since most employees anywhere only work hard enough to not get fired, you can imagine how productive unionized people are.

If you're lazy and incompetent, being a part of a union might seem like a good thing, but you can imagine what that does to a company's bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,839 posts, read 1,995,739 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why is it that I, and millions of others, are able to succeed without having a group of thugs "negotiate" on our behalf and take a chunk of our check for doing so?

Anyone who believes they have or keep a job thanks to a union would be better served by worrying more about doing good work than endlessly complaining. If the boss is always "out to get you", it isn't because you work too hard.

I have no respect for union leeches. I'm glad to see parasitic unions slowly dying off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
The unionized people I've worked with spend far more time talking to each other than working. They love to brag about the fact that it is very difficult for them to be fired and since most employees anywhere only work hard enough to not get fired, you can imagine how productive unionized people are.

If you're lazy and incompetent, being a part of a union might seem like a good thing, but you can imagine what that does to a company's bottom line.
Corporations hire consulting firms to help them get rid of unions. I wouldn't be surprised if there are institutes and foundations who indoctrinate and employ people to finish off the union movement.

I haven't heard from all of you yet. Are some of you off today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 12:33 PM
 
1,717 posts, read 562,449 times
Reputation: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Bobsell just verbally kicked your butt with a reality check, and you still don't get it. Your entire premise of working harder does not necessarily add value is gibberish. When I read your responses it's like you flip from chapter to chapter in a book named if corporations had their way.

If you are not employed by a pro corporate think tank then what is your story?
I'm not for or against corporations. I am in favor of taking responsibility for my own career. The simple fact is it is easier today than ever before to find a job. Unemployment is at a multi-decade low, technology makes it easier than ever before to apply for jobs and to network.

The reality check is some people choose to complain instead of improve themselves when job hunting. What is ever gained in career hunting by complaining about an employer's practices? When has that ever helped someone find a better job? That's my point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Even though you say "it's just different", you still can't avoid being pejorative.

So dedicating your entire life to the corporation is a crap shoot, isn't it. It's not that some people are less ambitious, maybe they are risk averse.

What bobsell is saying is that it's just the same crap shoot that it has always been.
Unions make it less of a crap shoot.
Obviously unions add a degree of certainty. They do it at the expense of penalizing more motivated people.

I am not saying unions shouldn't exist. They absolutely should. If you choose to join one, please go ahead and do it. You should simply have the option not to join one. Some people want more stability and certainty, join a union. You might not be around as ambitious or hard working people as a result, but again, there's nothing wrong with that.

I know what is best for me. As I've repeatedly said, we should agree to disagree. You seem to want to fight instead of doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 12:47 PM
 
3,771 posts, read 5,481,154 times
Reputation: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
True. Howrver, even here on CD where 90%+ of the posts are complaints, I still don't hear many stories of vacations being cancelled at the last minute and workers being required to report to work. Maybe it's a blue collar thing.

I had a job at a large well known corporation. It was a mid level office job. I was approved for a 1 week vacation. Then I was told it needed to be cut short. The reason was because they were busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,839 posts, read 1,995,739 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I have drawn on my own experience and was told that doesn't count. Yeah, I've never known or heard of anyone having their vacation cancelled and called back into the office.

I don't know or haven't seen anyone working 60+ hours a work with one exception. Young traders who were making large salaries and were going to get large bonuses. A few extra hours didn't matter much.

Otherwise, I and my coworkers work 40 hours a week and we're all project managers.

Whatever benefits unions may provide, I don't need protection from overtime or vacation issues.

Of course, someone will now say my personal experience doesn't matter. Bye folks.

See post 37


Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is anyone dedicating their entire life to any job? Sure, folks work but it's not a life dedication.

Some people, mostly men die within a couple of years after they retire. You may say, I've never heard of that. Some people die within a couple of years of their retirement because they've identified themselves so closely with their careers that the absence of doing that kills them.



Does that qualify or do you just want to be contrary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top