U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 PM

963 posts, read 574,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you work for a state university, you're typically a state employee. The medical system of that university, incorporated separately, is typically private sector and healthcare generally has horrible benefits as it is.
RWJ Medical Center is not a state university. It is a non-profit hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,385,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got invited to test for a union apprenticeship. Pay more than doubles in 4 years and starting pay is not bad. Free classes. Pension. Benefits. Paid holidays and time off. I'm not debating with myself whether or not to pursue it.
I've spent the last 10 years as a unionized tradesman, and I don't think it's a decision you'll regret. The training is usually top notch, the pay is usually better than our non-union counterparts, and the benefits are excellent.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 PM

554 posts, read 1,026,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Rutgers has been merging with a lot of places the last few years; they merged with my doctors (UMDNJ) a few (3ish) years ago. I hadn't heard that they merged with Robert Wood Johnson; I went to google RWJ Medical Center; sure enough they've merged with more places.

When are you planning to move back and what part of NJ are you looking at? I doubt the jobs you're seeing now will be there for a long length of time as Brunswick is a very busy area.

As I said they merged with my doctors office which the main location is in Stratford which is cheaper then going to Brunswick. There are a lot of hospitals in the area, Cooper trauma center isn't that far away. I'm unsure if Cooper is a union employer.
Thanks, planning on moving next spring/summer. I have been looking at Rutgers and there are always jobs there the ones I am qualified for.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
And you're one of those "a lot of people"

You seem to think that anyone who wants union protections MUST therefore be a mediocre employee, as if non-union situations always, without any exceptions whatsoever, are 100% meritocracies and every single one of those people adding more value are always rewarded 100% of the time.

And this is why your doctrine of employer infallibility fails - it does not meet the real world.

What planet are you on? This is definitely not the case on this planet.

Ridiculous job descriptions.

Employers discriminating against US workers.

Women discriminated against due to the ring they're wearing.

Age discrimination

H1B visa holders wanted but if you want market wages, no job for you.

People get rejected for being overqualified.

People are worked to death.

Employers hiring OPT visa holders with no experience for entry level jobs, but Americans MUST have experience for those same jobs!

Toxic work environments.

AND THIS GARBAGE IS HAPPENING NOW, when the job market is apparently HOT and being "candidate driven" with jobseeker to job opening ratio being around 1:1.

You don't know how bad it was when it was 2010 and we had 10% unemployment reported, with the ratio of jobseeker to job opening ratio being 7:1 or more.

And imagine how bad it will be in a year or two when the next recession hits!

I recommend people getting a union or government job. It is far better for them.

exactly this is why I work for the state with a union job! It is also true that while I am busting my butt I have to see lazy people sleeping, socializing etc.

Last edited by katalin; 03-24-2019 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 PM

963 posts, read 574,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I'm not certain why anyone would use this as an example. It's an obvious mistake made by an HR person. Who would have 5 years of Windows experience and only 1 year of Active Directory experience?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got invited to test for a union apprenticeship. Pay more than doubles in 4 years and starting pay is not bad. Free classes. Pension. Benefits. Paid holidays and time off. I'm not debating with myself whether or not to pursue it.
I was always thinking about working for the Union in healthcare. How do I look for a job if I want to help workers in the health field? We actually got a new Union rep at work, I always wonder how to apply for those kind of position. Is union apprenticeship the same as union rep?

Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Union Reps I have met were elected/nominated by the rank and file... so are shop stewards.

One of my tenants is a business agent... she was hired to work for the union as a clerk at headquarters... over the years with increasing responsibility she has worked her way up... she now intercedes between labor and management to resolve issues...

Her territory is quite large and spends a lot of time traveling...

Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I'm not certain why anyone would use this as an example. It's an obvious mistake made by an HR person. Who would have 5 years of Windows experience and only 1 year of Active Directory experience?
This is not an obvious mistake.

Because there are six tons of technology jobs that have similar ridiculous "5 years of [insert technology that only came out last year] experience" required.

And they're SERIOUS!

That's because the H1B visa holder they want to hire instead of you claims to have that 5 years experience in Windows 10 or other technology that just came out five minutes ago.

Or a job that requires maximum 9 years experience (if you have 10+ years, game over for you!)

Ridiculous job descriptions are the norm in tech.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:41 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Union Reps I have met were elected/nominated by the rank and file... so are shop stewards.

One of my tenants is a business agent... she was hired to work for the union as a clerk at headquarters... over the years with increasing responsibility she has worked her way up... she now intercedes between labor and management to resolve issues...

Her territory is quite large and spends a lot of time traveling...
oh wow, interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment