U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 PM

554 posts, read 1,026,053 times

Advertisements

Is anybody on here familiar with Rutgers and RWJ Medical Center?

I see that Rutgers is “affiliated” with RWJ. I see that most of the positions are Union on Rutgers website. I want to apply for jobs via RWJ also but it doesn’t show if it’s a Union job. Are there any Union jobs via RWJ web or do I have to stick with Rutgers web where most of the positions I am qualified for are Union? Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 PM

962 posts, read 573,920 times
If it's a union job at RWJ, it's a union job. It doesn't matter where you apply work. The steelworks union will collect dues from your paycheck regardless of whether you apply from the RU or RWJ website.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM

4,787 posts, read 1,978,657 times
Congratulations on seeking a unionized position. By going union, you can be assured that misunderstandings with management won't result in termination, you will have reasonable paid vacation, and you will be paid what the men are because each position will have a salary band.

Here is a website to get you started: Hospitals | CWA 1091 : The New Jersey Nurses Union

Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 AM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
If their web site does not specify whether the jobs are union or not, call the Med Ctr HR office and ask them.

It is very typical for universities and their hospitals to be separately incorporated. Both are large institutions, but they have different missions, and one set of policies and procedures for all would be detrimental to one group or another. As one example, hospitals are 24/7/365, while universities are not. Universities obtain income from tuition and state support, hospitals from medical fees and related insurance. Universities must be accredited, hospitals undergo a different version entirely.

This means that one institution may be unionized, while the other is not.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

1,663 posts, read 547,450 times
Do you want it to be unionized or not? There are some pretty large drawbacks to putting yourself through a unionized job.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Congratulations on seeking a unionized position. By going union, you can be assured that misunderstandings with management won't result in termination, you will have reasonable paid vacation, and you will be paid what the men are because each position will have a salary band.

Here is a website to get you started: Hospitals | CWA 1091 : The New Jersey Nurses Union
Thank you, I have a Union job now and I prefer to continue to in one when I move back.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Re

Quote:

Thank you, I am not a nurse I do the insurance and authorization. I have a Union job now but I like to continue to be in a Union position when I move back

Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Do you want it to be unionized or not? There are some pretty large drawbacks to putting yourself through a unionized job.
Like I said; you're on managements side every time. Aside from offending your bosses, could you list them?

Unpaid overtime
fired at whim
If you don't come in Sunday, don't come in Monday.

or

getting to take scheduled vacations with no surprise emergencies forcing cancellations.
almost everyone argues with their boss at times. Union people don't get fired for it.
a pension that is held by a third party and won't be cut when you're ready to collect.
having a pension.
having a vacation to take.
getting paid like the men do because each job has a salary grade and band.
paid overtime until you really are a manager

People like Katalin know when they are better off.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 03-21-2019 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Like I said; you're on managements side every time. Aside from offending your bosses, could you list them?

Unpaid overtime
fired at whim
If you don't come in Sunday, don't come in Monday.

or

getting to take scheduled vacations with no surprise emergencies forcing cancellations.
almost everyone argues with their boss at times. Union people don't get fired for it.
a pension that is held by a third party and won't be cut when you're ready to collect.
having a pension.
having a vacation to take.
getting paid like the men do because each job has a salary grade and band.

People like Katalin know when they are better off.
Non union, I am not held back by poor performing co-workers. If I prove I am doing more than them, I can be paid more and promoted faster. Non union, I'm not stuck with mediocre workers who only don't get fired because of union rules.

Each job having a set salary band is good for average to mediocre performers, it's a negative for people who can prove they deserve more.

I'm confused why you would think being on the side of motivated employees who take responsibility for their own careers is "on the side of management". I don't need to waste money on union dues for something I can do better on my own.

I know we disagree, and you picking my posts out to respond is getting old when we know we don't see eye to eye. Let's agree to disagree on this. All the best.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Non union, I am not held back by poor performing co-workers. If I prove I am doing more than them, I can be paid more and promoted faster. Non union, I'm not stuck with mediocre workers who only don't get fired because of union rules.

Each job having a set salary band is good for average to mediocre performers, it's a negative for people who can prove they deserve more.

I'm confused why you would think being on the side of motivated employees who take responsibility for their own careers is "on the side of management". I don't need to waste money on union dues for something I can do better on my own.

I know we disagree, and you picking my posts out to respond is getting old when we know we don't see eye to eye. Let's agree to disagree on this. All the best.

Today is a week day and you don't claim to be retired so unless this is your job, get back to work. Your productivity is falling off.
Unpaid overtime is a scam. Sudden emergencies that cause cancelled vacations are a scam.
I will not back off. Corporations have their place, but not as our masters in some oligarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment