Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,712,468 times

Advertisements

I just started a job. During the interview I was told the hours/schedule. I was asked what I would like for the hours and schedule. This was repeated a couple times at least and also matched the ad for the job. Now a couple weeks in, I was told my schedule may be completely different and it would also be a very difficult schedule I couldn't keep in the long run.

This is kind of awkward and upsetting. I've just started the job and was mislead if this is true. I'm not sure what to say to my employer. I need the job, but I'm not ok with having my schedule flipped. I would like to fix the situation and have my scheduled agreed to during the hiring process. But if not, I don't want to make a huge fuss and get fired. I'll just look for a job that fits my schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,179,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
. Now a couple weeks in, I was told my schedule may be completely different and it would also be a very difficult schedule I couldn't keep in the long run.

Key words "may be". My employer says a lot of things, at least half of which never happen.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
...a couple weeks in, I was told my schedule may be completely different
and it would also be a very difficult schedule I couldn't keep in the long run.
This is kind of awkward and upsetting.
It's a drag.
Use your now available days to continue interviewing with your other applications.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's a drag.
Use your now available days to continue interviewing with your other applications.

Yeah, it is. I am really baffled as to why/how an employer would be so impractical as to look for an employee for one schedule, then change it to another, right off the bat. Seriously, if you want someone to work a certain schedule, it is a hell of a lot easier to accomplish that by searching for an employee who is actually looking for that schedule.

I will definitely keep the job if this is really going to happen, but look unfortunately have to look for another.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM

I emailed my manager with a copy of the email that said it may happen. My manager is the one who would decide. But since it is a "maybe" and not coming from him, I asked if something changed, making my schedule different than what was discussed and what I said I can do.

It sees very odd that a business would look to hire someone who doesn't want to or can't work certain hours. But odd irrational things do happen. Hopefully they have more common sense than that.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,922,695 times
what is the question?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
what is the question?

I was mostly wanting to know how to address the manager. It's a serious problem that I want to keep from actually happening....to be looking for a job with a specific schedule that fits my availability, get that job, then have all that completely changed.

I figured I better say something right away, since it is something that would cause me to immediately start looking for another job.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,754,125 times
If you had previous continued qualifying employment prior to accepting this position, consider using unemployment benefits as an income safety net while seeking new employment. It will, of course, depend on how much of a change the schedule change is and what attempts you make to preserve the employment relationship.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,529,593 times
Quote:
I was mostly wanting to know how to address the manager. It's a serious problem that I want to keep from actually happening....to be looking for a job with a specific schedule that fits my availability, get that job, then have all that completely changed.

I figured I better say something right away, since it is something that would cause me to immediately start looking for another job.
Yes, say something right away.

It's a perfectly legit question, the hours were discussed in the interview more than once, ask what happened.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you had previous continued qualifying employment prior to accepting this position, consider using unemployment benefits as an income safety net while seeking new employment. It will, of course, depend on how much of a change the schedule change is and what attempts you make to preserve the employment relationship.

I had unemployment before this job. And used it up. I can get unemployment again in about 2 months.

During training I took all kinds of shift changes, because I thought it was temporary. But there has been stress on me. I have been drinking a lot of coffee and have had sharp chest pains. I deal with it. I stop and breath lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment