Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:10 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times

Advertisements

Something federal/public sector related. Were heading in to another recession.ALL signs are pointing. Don't waste your time in the private sector. Absolute zero job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM

119 posts, read 68,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You sure about that? My friend's daughter is a buyer for Chanel and is very highly compensated.
Certain large companies pay buyers a lot (e.g. Target) but, most positions that require 3 years of experience pay $50-55,000 in my area.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised you could get hired into a full-time teaching position without appropriate certs. Do you already have those?

ALSO - check to see if there is a mandatory retirement age for teachers. Time is not on your side, as you are already 37. I assume from the tenor of your post you do not have significant savings or investments.

If I were in your shoes, I suspect I'd try to get hired into the teaching position, and after passing probation (how long?), I would do everything possible to move into an administration position that pays more than classroom-based teachers. Given that you have an MBA, you should have a shot.
Special Ed is a high need area and they will hire those with teaching experience (subs like me) as long as they agree to work on getting a special ed credential. It is sad but my MBA will do nothing to help me to get into educational administration. They want an masters in educational administration for that. The more I think about my predicament, the more I think I need to get back in the "business" arena and just do what I can to climb the corporate ladder. I liked my MBA program but I think I made a big mistake by getting it, because I financed it on my own dime.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You sure about that? My friend's daughter is a buyer for Chanel and is very highly compensated.
I will just tell you who I worked for. The company was called HealthEast (it underwent a name change).

Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Something federal/public sector related. Were heading in to another recession.ALL signs are pointing. Don't waste your time in the private sector. Absolute zero job security.
At one point I applied for over 60 Fed jobs through USAJobs. One recruiter told me I was close to getting an interview, but I ultimately did not because I am not a veteran nor a minority. I worked for city government though for a while, for a large city. It payed me $42,000 a year as a buyer back in 2012. Nothing to write home about.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post
At one point I applied for over 60 Fed jobs through USAJobs. One recruiter told me I was close to getting an interview, but I ultimately did not because I am not a veteran nor a minority. I worked for city government though for a while, for a large city. It payed me $42,000 a year as a buyer back in 2012. Nothing to write home about.

It doesn't pay as much but you don't have to worry about losing your job and have your career destroyed either because some short-sighted, greedy stuffed suits ran the companies into the ground because of their idiocy and/or greed.

I can speak firsthand. I have literally seen 2-3 executives bring a company completely to its knees. Thats pretty sad the lives of THOUSANDS of people are in the hands of 2-3.

I haven't gotten In yet either and I AM a veteran with a degree. But you don't see these people losing their jobs either. And you see them enjoying retirement ultimately.

These days for most people in the private sector, you are washed out by 40.

The only answer is the public sector. While you may not get the pay you don't have to deal with BS Job security issues. Once you're in. You're in and you're in FOREVER.

In the private sector in most cases. Once you're out you're out and you're Out FOREVER. Especially once you get the stench of being "too old" (Thats over 30 years old) and "unemployable"

Oh yea.. And the abuse/exploitation is far more LIMITED compared to the private sector.

The private sector is for SUCKERS. Unless you're a relative of a corporate big wig

Old 03-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It doesn't pay as much but you don't have to worry about losing your job and have your career destroyed either because some short-sighted, greedy stuffed suits ran the companies into the ground because of their idiocy and/or greed.

I can speak firsthand. I have literally seen 2-3 executives bring a company completely to its knees. Thats pretty sad the lives of THOUSANDS of people are in the hands of 2-3.

I haven't gotten In yet either and I AM a veteran with a degree. But you don't see these people losing their jobs either. And you see them enjoying retirement ultimately.

These days for most people in the private sector, you are washed out by 40.

The only answer is the public sector. While you may not get the pay you don't have to deal with BS Job security issues. Once you're in. You're in and you're in FOREVER.

In the private sector in most cases. Once you're out you're out and you're Out FOREVER. Especially once you get the stench of being "too old" (Thats over 30 years old) and "unemployable"

Oh yea.. And the abuse/exploitation is far more LIMITED compared to the private sector.

The private sector is for SUCKERS. Unless you're a relative of a corporate big wig
Since I have been out of the business world for a while, my only way in might be through a contract job through some temp agency, and then hope that the company I am placed at will give me an offer at some point.

I have considered getting my real estate license. But a lot of people wash out of that field and according to the NAR website for the median realtor who works 40 hours a week the take home pay is only $40,000. Worse than a mail carrier.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:33 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
I retired from a software-related career a couple of years ago. I have an MS in computer science, and have done everything from developing test departments and methodologies to research for NASA and the DoD to managing software quality assurance departments. I retired at the age of 70, working as a SharePoint business analyst for an international bank. I had a career development plan at the time that including getting project management certification. All of this was in the private sector -- as was my second career as a clinical counselor in a mental health agency. It's not true that the private sector is for "suckers".

You're aware that the testing required in security will likely be run after hours to reduce impact on work, and that if there's a security problem or an audit it may require long hours? Some people do well in an IT environment, others can't stand it. I'd be very careful before taking off on that track and spending a lot of time and money on a new career that in the end doesn't suit you.

Not everyone is suited for every kind of job -- for example, an extreme extrovert may have a difficult time working on a job that requires long hours of solitude; a highly creative person may have a difficult time working in a position that requires a lot of repetitive and detail oriented work; and so on.

You've mentioned several possibilities in this thread -- my suggestion is: take the Self-Directed Search, which is an instrument most career counselors and coaches use with their clients. It's a preferences test: it's not about skills or potential, it's about finding the sort of positions where people with similar personalities have been found a reasonable amount of job satisfaction and happiness. You can take it here for $9.95 (USD):

Discover Your Passion | Self-Directed Search

A sample report can be viewed here:

http://www.self-directed-search.com/...port%20RIE.pdf

It will provide a list of careers that you can investigate further -- it will not give you a single magic answer. To research the careers listed in your report, you can go to the O*Net site and enter the career name (I believe the report will include links to the O*Net pages). Here for example is the O*Net page for Information Security Analysts:

https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1122.00

Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,621 times
Uh, this is easy, take the teaching job, it is the biggest blow-off job ever. I say this as someone who married a now ex-teacher. Additionally I taught part-time at a college. It is not real work. It is more frustrating than difficult.

In contrast I own (among other concerns) a boutique IT consulting firm. That is real work. There is no job security unless you work with old technologies that are in demand. Every year you will struggle to work while keeping up with the latest technologies and constantly be under the threat of being undercut by a H1B or L1V worker (unless you are contracting fro the government and have a security clearance). IT involves a lot of night and weekend work. If you love tech, that is one thing, but if you want a life outside of your work IT is not the correct career.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post
Last time I checked, other people besides veterans and minorities get Federal jobs. Hope your false beliefs comfort you.

Your resume shows a buyer position and a school teaching position. What job in the Federal government did you believe you were a shoe in for with that background? The MBA doesn't mean anything because a ton of fellow applicants will have that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment