U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Have you experienced high / chronic stress at work?
Yes, enough to cause medical probs / take time off 23 28.40%
Yes, enough to interfere with non-work life 26 32.10%
Yes, but only a little or short periods 21 25.93%
No, none at all 11 13.58%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Reputation: 7505

Advertisements

I've never been burdened with stress on any job. It must be because I put safeguards on my attitude and life, to where I never put a job above my health. No amount of stress could be worth the $

Come to think of it, I never let stress enter into my life in any other area. It's like poison, so it needs to be pushed away in every instance. It's an option and a reaction, just like hatred, and something we don't need.

We are responsible for our bodies, so why not do everything we can to protect and preserve them? We can never lose sight of that, and/or get consumed in the ways of the world and chasing the dollar. You can't take $ with you anyway once you die.

People in this country over the decades and centuries have become increasingly less capable of being inwardly strong and resilient. People used to be able to withstand much that would be considered stressful and full of hardship. And yet the persevered, in conditions much worse than any of us face now. We have it relatively easy, and yet crumble easily. That's weakness on our part, not the world's.

Avoiding illness or harm over money/work is an individual responsibility. We can't blame or change the world. We can only control ourselves. We need to quit blaming others and playing the victim.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-29-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2019, 04:09 PM
 
1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
Reputation: 3960
The bottom line is that the working world is getting worse for employees. This is not a complaint, just a fact. Things change and it is no one's fault. Employers want to make more money and they are cutting wages aggressively, hiring younger and younger folks, and doing other things to make it tougher for workers to make ends meet or to even be employed. That is their right and they cannot be faulted for that. They can run their businesses as they wish with no interference or moralizing from anyone.

Same for employees. Most would like to earn the most amount of money for the least amount of work. That is also their right and they cannot be faulted for that, interfered with or moralized about.

But the employee seems to bear the brunt of criticism for not being resilient enough or tough enough as perhaps other generations. But blame the employee all you will, the fact remains that the world of work is getting worse than what previous generations endured, especially in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. That is the point. And all the futile dancing around by tough, young employees who want to conquer the working world won't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 05:29 PM
 
407 posts, read 145,438 times
Reputation: 259
I quit both my top 500 US based corporations due to stress and toxic environments. Now working for a big French company. The environment is less dysfunctional. I guess US-owned corporations are more stressful. Those two were in Czechia though, maybe just Czechs are more stressed while Bulgarians are more laid-back and calm. But I think there the corpprate culture was to push buttons, which is an American thing. Here no one cares how many minutes their colleague is in the WC. As long as you do your job and meet the norms it's all well. Heck, some go home earlier even if done! There you had to stay, the micromanagement was taxing. I will avoid US-based corporations from now on. American corporations feel more 1984 and Animal Farm than European ones of the same size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 06:15 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,899 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Reputation: 14150
Corporate world is just a game. You are all puppets of your manager's wishes whether it'll be good or bad for the firm, half the time you're working just to pad their egos. How many times you are actually doing something for the firm that you cared about and your boss tells you to stop working and come to his office and listen to him talk about his crazy wife or kids.

If you are a woman and have a woman boss, she asks you to sit down just so she can hear some gossips around the office or any hookups you can provide and she wants to tag along with you after work because she has zero friends in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
2,277 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Reputation: 5370
Whenever a work environment has become "toxic", I've left. Works for me. For those who choose to eat stress daily... I pity you, but won't be taking any action on your behalf that you aren't willing to take for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM
 
1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Whenever a work environment has become "toxic", I've left. Works for me. For those who choose to eat stress daily... I pity you, but won't be taking any action on your behalf that you aren't willing to take for yourself.
It is nice to be guaranteed a better work environment whenever you have left a toxic one. But some people have not succeeded in this. Plenty of my former colleagues have attested to this. And they were smart, hardworking, and resilient. Some succeeded but most failed and wound up with equally bad work environments or ones even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 AM
 
42 posts, read 11,623 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've never been burdened with stress on any job. It must be because I put safeguards on my attitude and life, to where I never put a job above my health. No amount of stress could be worth the $

Come to think of it, I never let stress enter into my life in any other area. It's like poison, so it needs to be pushed away in every instance. It's an option and a reaction, just like hatred, and something we don't need.

We are responsible for our bodies, so why not do everything we can to protect and preserve them? We can never lose sight of that, and/or get consumed in the ways of the world and chasing the dollar. You can't take $ with you anyway once you die.

People in this country over the decades and centuries have become increasingly less capable of being inwardly strong and resilient. People used to be able to withstand much that would be considered stressful and full of hardship. And yet the persevered, in conditions much worse than any of us face now. We have it relatively easy, and yet crumble easily. That's weakness on our part, not the world's.

Avoiding illness or harm over money/work is an individual responsibility. We can't blame or change the world. We can only control ourselves. We need to quit blaming others and playing the victim.
Developing a nice nest egg also helps you not stress out about your job. That's why it is important to save and invest as much as possible while you're working.

When you have a nice financial cushion, the thought of getting fired isn't something you lose sleep over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is nice to be guaranteed a better work environment whenever you have left a toxic one. But some people have not succeeded in this. Plenty of my former colleagues have attested to this. And they were smart, hardworking, and resilient. Some succeeded but most failed and wound up with equally bad work environments or ones even worse.
Yeah, I've known several people who have "jumped out of the frying pan into the fire," so to speak. I've learned to not care too much about what the work environment is like. Jobs suck, and that's why you have to be paid to show up everyday. I've dealt with all sorts of a-hole bosses, backbiting co-workers, etc. That stuff is everywhere. The way I see it is that as long as the paychecks keep rolling in, it's all gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 03:44 PM
 
407 posts, read 145,438 times
Reputation: 259
I think marrying for money seems a more and more inviting prospect. Then you can do sth just for fun like painting or music. On the other hand while I get the Sofia freeze by people here it's miles better than my jobs in those 2 big US corps. People there were totally nuts (perhaps due to the unbearable stress).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 05:33 PM
 
10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
Reputation: 15280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But the employee seems to bear the brunt of criticism for not being resilient enough or tough enough as perhaps other generations. But blame the employee all you will, the fact remains that the world of work is getting worse than what previous generations endured, especially in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. That is the point. And all the futile dancing around by tough, young employees who want to conquer the working world won't change that.
No, it's the ones who complain about the world changing but they are at the front of benefitting from that change.

Everyone enjoys modern conveniences and technology but are shocked that those changes also change business culture.

Quick changes means quick turnover of businesses as they try to keep up with the changes themselves

Back when it took 10 people to make a car over a months time, not everyone could have one. Now everyone has a car or two and somehow it appeared by magic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 07:52 PM
 
1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No, it's the ones who complain about the world changing but they are at the front of benefitting from that change.

Everyone enjoys modern conveniences and technology but are shocked that those changes also change business culture.

Quick changes means quick turnover of businesses as they try to keep up with the changes themselves

Back when it took 10 people to make a car over a months time, not everyone could have one. Now everyone has a car or two and somehow it appeared by magic?
??? But the point remains that the working world is getting increasingly hostile to working people. It is getting more difficult to afford to have that car or two and other modern conveniences. These changes are hurting the worker. Again, this is not a complaint but an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top