U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:20 AM

6,856 posts, read 3,725,365 times

Advertisements

I know some local restaurants have the same policy to prevent intentionally making food that won't be eaten as freebies for the staff. It's a cost control measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 AM

1,703 posts, read 557,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I know some local restaurants have the same policy to prevent intentionally making food that won't be eaten as freebies for the staff. It's a cost control measure.
I worked for a restaurant when I was younger that let us bring food home.

Mysteriously, there was always enough overprepped, or cooked at the end of the day for all waiters, waitresses, bar staff and cooks to bring something home.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 AM

5,035 posts, read 3,220,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I work in Long term care and one of the policy is staff cannot eat remaining food from the residents meals.( the food that has not being served). It goes in the garbage at the end of the day. Some staff argue that they would rather throw it away than staff eat. I work as server and some staff in other departments don't bring their own food and are always asking us once all residents have been served. But some of us have to follow the rules because we can lose our jobs for giving them food even though its going in the garbage
At the nursing home I worked for, we had to pay for our meals if we bought from them. No "Freebies" were permitted... It was cheap and in many cases quite good for evening meals.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:45 PM

6,617 posts, read 2,384,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
There's also a health issue. The food is exposed to people who are ill, have some kind of infectious disease.

You could have someone who is coughing up a lung, but can't eat, so their spittle is flying all over the place and hitting the food. They don't have to eat the food for it to become worthless.

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:50 PM

6,617 posts, read 2,384,444 times
Oh wait...OP, you're talking about food that never left the kitchen, right?

It would seem (to me) that there shouldn't BE that much left over food for employees to eat. I would think that budgets and menus are made out ahead of time, and they buy enough food to feed x amount of residents. If there's that much food to feed employees...seems like a budgeting problem.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM

666 posts, read 201,872 times
When I worked in the dietary department of a nursing home when I was in high school and college, any member of staff (from nurses to housekeeping) was allowed to buy a staff meal that came off the same tray line as the resident's meals by using tickets designated for such things (the residents had their own meal orders). It was very inexpensive and, for institutional food, rather good.

There were never mass quantities of leftover food, either. If there is that much leftover food, the dietary director needs to remedy that situation as food waste costs serious money in the long run.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 14 days ago)

9,583 posts, read 3,670,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
There's also a health issue. The food is exposed to people who are ill, have some kind of infectious disease. .
Yes. And even worse. I worked at a nursing home that tried to force laundry room workers also go work in the kitchen. This is a cross-contamination issue. They were investigated by the state because of this. There is a lot of exposure to infectious diseases when working with residents' soiled laundry. I would never even consume my own food in the work break room. There was C-diff and lots of other bad things flying around.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 PM

544 posts, read 527,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Oh wait...OP, you're talking about food that never left the kitchen, right?

It would seem (to me) that there shouldn't BE that much left over food for employees to eat. I would think that budgets and menus are made out ahead of time, and they buy enough food to feed x amount of residents. If there's that much food to feed employees...seems like a budgeting problem.

This is food that is remaining in the steam tables from residents meals. We bring cart of food upstairs to serve to CNA's. There's usually not too much left overs. But they have to make enough food. If they claim the left overs then the government will give them less funding. so they are better off have left over food

Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,859,552 times
I would rather bring my own food. You don't know where that food's been.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,771,267 times
I’m shocked people even want to eat that food. When I see what is on the resident’s food trays I actually feel bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or