U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 PM

6,877 posts, read 7,276,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Everybody used their computers for some personal business, and as long as you were doing it on your own time and not instead of working, it wasn't a problem.
Not a problem unless they want you out for some reason. If TPTB want a person out, they'll dig until they find something.
I don't do anything on a work computer, that's not work related. People are told from Day One -- don't do it. SO if they do it and get caught, they have no one to blame but themselves.

IF I just HAVE to access something, I can use my phone, or it can wait. But I'm also older.
During break time 99% of my co-workers are on their phones. I'm actually trying to relax -- and get away from stimuli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 PM

923 posts, read 503,209 times
Not a problem, coworkers do it all the time. All make over 6 figures.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:06 AM

2,063 posts, read 597,123 times
Depends on how many people he knows in high places

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 AM

5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by question.askee View Post
Hi friends,

If there is a better forum for this, please tell me.

A co-worker of mine, fellow contractor, had a sexually explicit conversation on Facebook on a government computer, in his second week of work! This is a TS/SCI position in Information Technology! Never seen anything so irresponsible.

1. Anyway, what are the odds that the powers that be are monitoring or will see it later?

2. What are the odds this would mean a loss of employment?

If possible, I would love some input on this from someone who has dealt with this kind of stuff before, either as they one who screwed up, the one who monitors, or as the one who has to dole out the consequences.

Thanks!
QA
I was at one job, got told "By a friend" to chill as the supervisors had put in new software for tracking. I assumed he was telling the truth. So I quit web surfing so much. Then 4 people were hauled into the managers office for a royal chewing out (Everyone got the warning, but these four didn't care) it wasn't even 4 months later 2 were walked out for the same issue...

My suggestion is to tell them "Back off with the personal crap while OTJ and look like they're working" Or they may be looking for a new job.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 AM

18,390 posts, read 20,134,133 times
I do not use my work email, phone or tablet for personal work. I have my personal email phone and tablet for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment