U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:42 PM

25,985 posts, read 32,996,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm at that stage of my career and life where I am starting to 'coast' at work.

Now, this doesn't mean doing the bare minimum or expending little effort. It means doing just the right amount (not too much, not too little) but also getting the work done. If there's any extra work or projects that need to get done, yes I'll do it. But it's all about hitting that comfort zone and leaving work at the office.

I know this concept is offensive to the 'alphas' out there who think anyone that isn't putting in 12 hours a day minimum and then working off hours at home and the weekends, are 'slackers' who should be let go.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-w...060043512.html
I think what the article calls "coasting" is just a normal workday. I disagree with their use of that term, in the context of the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:45 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,637 times
I don't think some ppl understand what coasting means in this context.

The OP does his job, but only whats required, only what he's paid to do. As an employee, you are not obligated to do your bosses job or co-workers job for free. Doing so without increase in compensation means you are a simp getting pimped out.

Now management can be an ass and say, "I notice you are not working hard xyz BS" just retort with "I do more work than 60% of the staff." They tend to shut up real quick before it gets nasty aka expose dirty laundry aka double standards. See it all the time. Employees that management knows they can manipulate goes right after them. I call the naive souls yes man yes girls. People that don't know how to say no. Corporate Amurica pulls that **** all the time, but if you allow it they will exploit you. Often, the very same people accusing you of not working are also coasting hypocrisy at its finest.

Not every company is you know iunno Google, it's the world we live in today. Use or be used. Gunna put in work get paid. If you not getting paid don't be a yes man. Don't make no dollars it don't make no sense. Don't increase your workload by 40, 50, 60% and then have nothing to show for it.

Now someone keeps saying skills will deteriorate um what? Creating a Pro Forma Income Statement for 1 retail property or 100 retail properties does not mean your skills will atrophy.

Repetition =/= skillful

Typically, when you take on more responsibility absence of a promotion, it involves more mundane grunt work or more of the same oO? Employees today acquire new skills outside the office in order to pursue a job in another department/ company. Jobs today are very specialized aka fancy way of saying you are doing the same thing over and over and over and over....again

Now keeping up appearances, in 2019 that's a myth. Everyone pretty much has a productivity report or is monitoring your computer. Yes they are always comparing your results to the top performing analyst and yes aware if you can do more. It's all theater you know management finds a balance that works for everyone and only pushes when necessary. Meaning, if you are in the top 5 management is not gunna **** with you. If you are in the middle, then yeah they will have a 5 or 20m meeting with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment