U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times

Advertisements

I have had few (none?) jobs where the work done wasn't tangibly quantifiable or represented by a ready appreciation for a goal being acheived on a daily, if not hourly basis.

I assume this phenomenon refers to jobs where the workers huff and furrow their brows while staring intently at computer screens or stacks of paper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM

641 posts, read 239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I didn't butcher or twist anything. I captured your entire tone. Now you want to backpedal on what you were saying and the intention now that you've had time to think about it. I would consider that an improvement.
LOL what?
My original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Some people have this fantasy that if you work hard, bend over and take it, and stay loyal to a company, then that said company will return the favor and put you first. Yeah...doesn't always play out that way. I'm not saying to slack off; yes you should put in your best effort but one should prioritize on what makes your resume look good, because no matter what, you are never truly safe from a layoff. It's YOUR career, not the company's.
How did my tone change from that to my follow up post to you? Where's the backpedaling I did? My message has been consistent in both of those posts: put in your best foot forward, but do it for YOU and don't expect a company to look out for you. How on earth did you get anything different than that from my original post??

Last edited by BrianGC; 03-26-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have had few (none?) jobs where the work done wasn't tangibly quantifiable or represented by a ready appreciation for a goal being acheived on a daily, if not hourly basis.

I assume this phenomenon refers to jobs where the workers huff and furrow their brows while staring intently at computer screens or stacks of paper?
That's a lot of salaried jobs. I don't report hourly. I report a few times weekly on scrums. That's fairly easily fudged as the manager is too overloaded to really follow up unless there is a major issue going on.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 AM

1,411 posts, read 815,110 times
I work to live, not live to work.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 AM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
I have a highly intense job which I love. My efforts fluctuate to prevent burnout. Some days are more productive than others but I'm part of a team. My customers being happy makes the team look good. I get my rewards in many ways! I do love high energy.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 AM

4,812 posts, read 1,986,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Never work hard unless the company you work for rewards meritocracy, hard work etc. If you pull your weight, become valuable and go nowhere and the company continues to reward the leeches, lazies, cronies, relatives etc.. the company does not DESERVE Your 100 percent effort.

Some people coast because in many places, it doesn't matter how hard you work or not. If you aren' connected, you're stuck . Most companies only look at "hard work" as a sign of weakness and exploit those hard workers.

People think hard work is going to save them from layoff? ROFLMAO.

Look around and see how many useless bums avoid the layoffs, continue getting promoted, etc and how many unconnected valuable, skilled workers got the shaft during the last recession and since . And tell me again, "working hard will avoid layoffs". Thats just an old wives tale place by management to "Keep the sheep in line". Little to no truth to it whatsoever.

It sounds like you've been through the wringer like me. I was in a place where most departmental operations were moved to India. This is usually preceded by the forced retirement of a key upper management VP. Then they hire someone from outside of the company who has done what they intend to do. They will have a meeting of the entire department and speakers will say how exciting that change is. The truth is that upper management is excited about the upcoming carnage and that you are the main course. Then the new VP will speak and you then read between the lines.

For the next six to nine months you know that you need to get out if you can. You do your job, but your eye is on preserving that salary. You start looking, but other companies are shedding staff too, and if there's a recession you're in trouble. During this period HR is busy making up separation packages, there is a malaise in management that trickles down to the staff.

That level of greed is capitalism's ugly face. Pat Buchanan, a commentator and author whom I respect, has called this hemorrhage of jobs to India "economic treason".

Old 03-27-2019, 07:11 AM

187 posts, read 293,521 times
My late father-in-law shared some sage advice with me that has taken me years to appreciate: "Always say yes to people, and then one time say, no; you become an *sshole. Always say no and then one time say yes, you are the hero."

Nearing retirement now and I always was the one to say yes and put in 110%. As I reflect back on my career, I am not certain it helped me in career growth. I have witnessed too much nepotism, favoritism, etc. that was promoted before hard and honest work. Just my experience.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:18 AM

689 posts, read 250,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I'm trying to have a conversation, please don't turn this into an argument. I'm saying what's best for the worker's career. Nothing else.

I am saying the opinion you're giving makes sense emotionally (I absolutely get it), but it sets people back in their careers. This is one of those scenarios where the worker's ego (stick it to the company that doesn't appreciate them) should not get in the way of what's best for them (suck it up, push through, to keep building a skillset). That's what most successful people I've seen have done.

We disagree. That's fine. This SHOULD be a conversation. We can still discuss this like adults if we have differing opinions.
Employees change for a reason or many reasons.

If the management value the hard working employees and reward them by promotions or with some bonus instead of giving them more work, they will work harder. Many people are happy to work hard and productively, to do a good job, and they don't care to climb up the ladder. But nobody's happy when they already worked hard, and they don't get reward with bonus but get more work to do. That's crazy. That's stupid. And this happens all the times. That's why people come here to vent. They cannot say this out loud at their workplace because they may get punishment.

If the management watch out closely about the lazy workers and the talkers who talk more than work, and they (the management) find ways to help them to work harder or to discipline them, they will have to work harder or they will be let go.

If the management lie and cheat, say one thing and do the other, just have the lips service, and value the sweet talkers who know how to stroke the management's egos over the hard working employees, then the hard-working employees will change. And there will be more and more talkers than doers in the company. The company will be full of corrupted management people and the lazy and cheating employees.

The management should not say if you don't like to work here, go to find job somewhere else. That's very heartless. That’s threatening. If it were so easy to find a job somewhere else, of course people would not stay in the company they don’t like. In the bad economy time, people try to keep their mouth shut and tolerate to keep their job. But when the opportunity comes, they would not care to stay to work hard for the employer with all the mean and corrupted managers for sure.

Yeah, all employers want to have good and hard working employees. But it is the management's responsibility to know how to do the right things and do things right to make good employees to be good for a long time and not so good employees to improve.

Mostly the management sets the tone and the culture for the company. In addition to my fourth paragraph above, if people in the management are bullies, eventually there will be full of bullies among employees in the company too. That's awful.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 AM

712 posts, read 435,529 times
OP, I wouldn't classify what you're doing as "coasting." To me, coasting is, in fact, doing the bare minimum just to get by and keep your job.

I'd say that at this point in my career, I'm where you are. I like to characterize it as, 'I'm not climbing any corporate ladders.' I have been at my company for a whopping 21 years and enjoy what I'm doing now. I am definitely more stressed than when I started out, but I also don't feel the need to be "connected" all the time. If something is pressing (say, the winding up of a project), I might check email off hours, but other than that, my time is my time.

I'm eligible for the retirement package from my company in six years. While I won't be able to completely retire from the workforce at that point, I will likely take the package and then go somewhere less stressful.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 PM

780 posts, read 203,493 times
Unless people are making widgets, I still don't fully understand what's meant by working hard. If you're in any kind of salaried position, much of the time you aren't measured on quantity of output, but rather quality of output. If you're very skilled in your role, you may find ways to automate a lot of your manual workload. Thus, you'll benefit from working smarter than working harder. As long as your job is getting done and in a manner in which your manager finds acceptable, then your job is all but done.

Outside of that, there's not much else you can do in such a role to "work harder". Some people are inefficient, which gives others the impression they're working hard, but usually that just means they haven't thought of ways to make their job flow better. Don't mistake inefficiency for hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment