U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2019, 03:13 PM
 
3,771 posts, read 5,470,027 times
Reputation: 2990

Advertisements

I've read that workaholics tend to be less efficient. Maybe the hardest workers work 40 hours and some of those who put in long unpaid overtime hours, just have to work more hours due to wanting to avoid their personal problems or inefficiency.



It makes more sense to consider a hard worker as a focused efficient worker. Much like you say that someone works out hard, by running and lifting weights for 2 hours vs going on a 3 hr stroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2019, 05:37 PM
 
1,668 posts, read 548,866 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Employees change for a reason or many reasons.

If the management value the hard working employees and reward them by promotions or with some bonus instead of giving them more work, they will work harder. Many people are happy to work hard and productively, to do a good job, and they don't care to climb up the ladder. But nobody's happy when they already worked hard, and they don't get reward with bonus but get more work to do. That's crazy. That's stupid. And this happens all the times. That's why people come here to vent. They cannot say this out loud at their workplace because they may get punishment.

If the management watch out closely about the lazy workers and the talkers who talk more than work, and they (the management) find ways to help them to work harder or to discipline them, they will have to work harder or they will be let go.

If the management lie and cheat, say one thing and do the other, just have the lips service, and value the sweet talkers who know how to stroke the management's egos over the hard working employees, then the hard-working employees will change. And there will be more and more talkers than doers in the company. The company will be full of corrupted management people and the lazy and cheating employees.

The management should not say if you don't like to work here, go to find job somewhere else. That's very heartless. That’s threatening. If it were so easy to find a job somewhere else, of course people would not stay in the company they don’t like. In the bad economy time, people try to keep their mouth shut and tolerate to keep their job. But when the opportunity comes, they would not care to stay to work hard for the employer with all the mean and corrupted managers for sure.

Yeah, all employers want to have good and hard working employees. But it is the management's responsibility to know how to do the right things and do things right to make good employees to be good for a long time and not so good employees to improve.

Mostly the management sets the tone and the culture for the company. In addition to my fourth paragraph above, if people in the management are bullies, eventually there will be full of bullies among employees in the company too. That's awful.
You're not reading what I said.

Don't you want to keep advancing your career in spite of a bad manager (or management team)? Ranting against bad management has nothing to do with my point.

Again, if a person is just coasting because they don't like management, I get it. I've had terrible management. Wanting to stop working hard because management is bad is a purely emotional decision. People who do that are harming their future careers just to get that little ego boost from 'sticking it to management'. Those people stop building skills, stop improving, and all but guarantee they will be stuck in jobs they don't like.

Whether management is good or bad has nothing to do with the idea of working harder to build a skillset and make yourself more attractive to the next employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 PM
 
3,754 posts, read 2,120,792 times
Reputation: 10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're not reading what I said.

Don't you want to keep advancing your career in spite of a bad manager (or management team)? Ranting against bad management has nothing to do with my point.

Again, if a person is just coasting because they don't like management, I get it. I've had terrible management. Wanting to stop working hard because management is bad is a purely emotional decision. People who do that are harming their future careers just to get that little ego boost from 'sticking it to management'. Those people stop building skills, stop improving, and all but guarantee they will be stuck in jobs they don't like.

Whether management is good or bad has nothing to do with the idea of working harder to build a skillset and make yourself more attractive to the next employer.

You're hired on to do a specific job. Its not like you can run all over the company and doing other department's work. Most people (especially the real territorial ones) won't accept that.

And by any chance you find a company that allows that (mainly because they are so rotten they can't keep anyone and everything is going to pot) , I wouldn't do it free of charge either. Dysfunctional companies LOVE throwing more work on to their employees frees of charge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 PM
 
1,668 posts, read 548,866 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You're hired on to do a specific job. Its not like you can run all over the company and doing other department's work. Most people (especially the real territorial ones) won't accept that.

And by any chance you find a company that allows that (mainly because they are so rotten they can't keep anyone and everything is going to pot) , I wouldn't do it free of charge either. Dysfunctional companies LOVE throwing more work on to their employees frees of charge
You're paid for 8 hours of work per day, work hard for 8 hours/day. Volunteer for extra during that time, try to do more. That's how you get promoted out of that crappy, low end job, and that's how you get experience to be hired other places. People with the attitude of just 'coasting' get stuck in dead end jobs for years, and can't get hired anywhere else because they have resumes showing they don't know how to move forward in a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:07 PM
 
3,771 posts, read 5,470,027 times
Reputation: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're paid for 8 hours of work per day, work hard for 8 hours/day. Volunteer for extra during that time, try to do more. That's how you get promoted out of that crappy, low end job, and that's how you get experience to be hired other places. People with the attitude of just 'coasting' get stuck in dead end jobs for years, and can't get hired anywhere else because they have resumes showing they don't know how to move forward in a career.

I didn't realize you had been referring to crappy low end jobs specifically. Was anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:20 PM
 
325 posts, read 394,663 times
Reputation: 671
Did you read the original post nor read the article in it. It's about getting to mid-level and being content and therefore "coast" at that point, which a lot of people that responded can relate to. I don't think any of us are coasting at McDonald's.

Last year I literally told my current boss that I was very happy being in my role (Manager of a process and not of people), and he told me that it was perfectly fine. I then went on to give him quality work for the year--not perfect, of course, but far from crap either--and guess what, I got an unsolicited (some even say unwanted) promotion to Senior Manager earlier this month. So coasting isn't being lazy, it's being content with where you're at and your current role and you can still be a good enough employee to get a promotion.

Regardless, not everyone want to pretend to "give it their all" for 8 hours every day. Let's not kid ourselves here, no one can keep up that pace for that long. And most people stall out at mid-management because there's simply not enough Director or above level jobs even if we are all the very best of employees. Eventually, people settle into their role, realize that it's either not worth it due to competitions or sacrifices, and just "coasts".

There is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're paid for 8 hours of work per day, work hard for 8 hours/day. Volunteer for extra during that time, try to do more. That's how you get promoted out of that crappy, low end job, and that's how you get experience to be hired other places. People with the attitude of just 'coasting' get stuck in dead end jobs for years, and can't get hired anywhere else because they have resumes showing they don't know how to move forward in a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 PM
 
780 posts, read 202,959 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're paid for 8 hours of work per day, work hard for 8 hours/day. Volunteer for extra during that time, try to do more. That's how you get promoted out of that crappy, low end job, and that's how you get experience to be hired other places. People with the attitude of just 'coasting' get stuck in dead end jobs for years, and can't get hired anywhere else because they have resumes showing they don't know how to move forward in a career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I didn't realize you had been referring to crappy low end jobs specifically. Was anyone else?
I get the impression he’s referring to lower end jobs that mostly pay hourly. Salaried workers do not get paid to work 8 hours a day. They get paid to work until their job is done. Sometimes that might mean 12 hour days, or sometimes it might mean 6 hours. You’re paid based on performance, not clocking in hours. So I was a little confused with that as well.

And having been salaried for more than 10 years, it’s not so simple to run around and volunteer for work. Some people actually feel threatened when you want to stick your nose in their business. Sometimes they don’t even like that you’re intruding on them in their department. And most of the time, all the extra work that you take on doesn’t lead to anything other than you being expected to do it and you eventually being burnt out. Someone else mentioned having a strict meritocracy, and these rarely exist due to the human element. Humans are biased, fallible, and not reliable to be completely objective judges of character and work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:26 PM
 
780 posts, read 202,959 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Did you read the original post nor read the article in it. It's about getting to mid-level and being content and therefore "coast" at that point, which a lot of people that responded can relate to. I don't think any of us are coasting at McDonald's.

Last year I literally told my current boss that I was very happy being in my role (Manager of a process and not of people), and he told me that it was perfectly fine. I then went on to give him quality work for the year--not perfect, of course, but far from crap either--and guess what, I got an unsolicited (some even say unwanted) promotion to Senior Manager earlier this month. So coasting isn't being lazy, it's being content with where you're at and your current role and you can still be a good enough employee to get a promotion.

Regardless, not everyone want to pretend to "give it their all" for 8 hours every day. Let's not kid ourselves here, no one can keep up that pace for that long. And most people stall out at mid-management because there's simply not enough Director or above level jobs even if we are all the very best of employees. Eventually, people settle into their role, realize that it's either not worth it due to competitions or sacrifices, and just "coasts".

There is nothing wrong with that.
OP is in their 40s or 50s I believe. At that point, it pretty much is just aboiut surviving until retirement. Retired in Place (RIP) is a real thing. I’ve witnessed at just about every company I’ve ever worked at. I’m in my early to mid 30s now and make pretty good coin. There’s not a whole lot of incentive for me to be all gung-ho about moving up the ladder any further. I’ve always wanted to hit the six figure mark and I’m just about there. So I’ll perform my duties proficiently and in a timely manner, and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 PM
 
3,754 posts, read 2,120,792 times
Reputation: 10254
Another problem this incessant need to "move up" on the company ladder is generally that route is strictly now directed toward management roles. Screw that. Not everyone wants to be a manager nor everyone SHOULD be. Im one of them. I can't even get my dog to listen to me (never mind miserable employees with low morale) nor would I want to be responsible for the failure/success of others. I can do a good enough job, but I can't make others do one. Thats not even to mention the crap you have to endure from upper management and the workers below you.

Alot of these "senior technical whatever" jobs are being slowly (or quickly) phased out. So the only position to move to is into babysitter role. Companies now look at knowledgeable, industry specialists as more useless people to phase out while loading up he countless layers of babysitter positions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 PM
 
1,668 posts, read 548,866 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I didn't realize you had been referring to crappy low end jobs specifically. Was anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Did you read the original post nor read the article in it. It's about getting to mid-level and being content and therefore "coast" at that point, which a lot of people that responded can relate to. I don't think any of us are coasting at McDonald's.
I wasn't talking about only low end jobs. I'm referring to *any* job. The comfortable job turns into the bad job if you 'coast' and start to ease up. Keep building skills or you wake up five years later with the comfortable job turning into a mediocre or poor one.

Coasting is taking an easy way out now at the expense of your future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I get the impression he’s referring to lower end jobs that mostly pay hourly. Salaried workers do not get paid to work 8 hours a day. They get paid to work until their job is done. Sometimes that might mean 12 hour days, or sometimes it might mean 6 hours. You’re paid based on performance, not clocking in hours. So I was a little confused with that as well.
No, not at all. There are agreed upon hours for salaried jobs. Most salaried workers do not regularly work more than 40 hours/week. If you get your work done in six hours, you find something more to do for the other two.

You won't find many salaried jobs at any level that don't have written assumptions on how many hours to work.

Last edited by Lekrii; 03-27-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top