U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:36 PM

780 posts, read 204,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Every phone, tablet, laptop, computer and other device connected to a network has a unique MAC address. Every company these days has access to plenty of automated tools that monitor their network. If they want to see how much time any device is connected to Facebook or Citydata for instance it's as easy as writing an automated script to monitor that. It takes literally no time/effort to monitor these things because it's all done with software and AI. Just assume everything you are doing online is being tracked because it is. If not by your work's IT department then by your ISP or phone carrier and of course by the government (anyone read the Edward Snowden reports?).

Sure most people are doing boring stuff that nobody cares about. But say you underperforming at work and they are looking for justification to fire you and they can just pull a report that says you are surfing Facebook for 8 hours a day at work then they have just cause now.
Yeah, but unless you are are required to login to the guest WiFi, all they have is a miscellaneous address tied to nothing they can trace. And since they don't have the legal authority to seize personal property to figure out whose device is whose, they still have nothing. Obviously, if you're logging into a company's WiFi with personal credentials, then of course browse cautiously.

But if they are trying to fire you for poor performance, they're not going to go through the trouble of asking the IT department to run a report on your browsing history. They will just write you a bad performance review and put you on a PIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 PM

6,356 posts, read 3,479,084 times
I still would use a VPN on anything other than my home network.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM

2,213 posts, read 934,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
The new company I work for tells everyone we can be on their WiFi (they used to have us use the Employee one but now we are told to log on to the guest one). Iím just wondering if they can check what websites you are on from your personal phone? Like can they check if you are on FB on your iPhone? Not that I have time to be on my phone much but if I use Spotify on my phone to listen to music will that slow down the network?
Of course they can monitor the sites you are visiting. You should have zero expectations of privacy while on such a network. If you are visiting non work related sites during assigned work hours it can come back to bite you big time. My advice...use the cell phone web access you are already paying for if privacy is a concern for you.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:58 AM

4,084 posts, read 2,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Every phone, tablet, laptop, computer and other device connected to a network has a unique MAC address. Every company these days has access to plenty of automated tools that monitor their network. If they want to see how much time any device is connected to Facebook or Citydata for instance it's as easy as writing an automated script to monitor that. It takes literally no time/effort to monitor these things because it's all done with software and AI. Just assume everything you are doing online is being tracked because it is. If not by your work's IT department then by your ISP or phone carrier and of course by the government (anyone read the Edward Snowden reports?).

Sure most people are doing boring stuff that nobody cares about. But say you underperforming at work and they are looking for justification to fire you and they can just pull a report that says you are surfing Facebook for 8 hours a day at work then they have just cause now.
I just don't think this is realistic. What if you had your phone on, connected to their Wifi and had a browser open to Facebook for the entire day but weren't actively surfing the 'net? That might falsely show you were online for the entire day but you weren't actually browsing. Or how about on an app? Again, while I realize that it CAN be done, I do not think this WOULD be done in very many circumstances.

Would you want to be on an adult site at work? No. Dating site? No. ESPN.com? Sure, not going to hurt you for a few minutes here at there.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 AM

12,250 posts, read 18,005,453 times
Can they see what I'm googling/ searching as well?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can they see what I'm googling/ searching as well?
Yes, but as has been mentioned, they may or may not have a way to know who you are.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM

4,084 posts, read 2,949,672 times
I would just basically assume that anything/everything you're doing on your cellphone while connected at an office wifi will be tracked. Best to always err on the side of safety. While I firmly believe 99.9% of the time you'd be safe, I wouldn't want to be that one person who gets nabbed for being on Tinder for 4 hours one afternoon.

If you absolutely HAD to be on some website that you think might get you flagged, turn off the wifi and go over cell towers while going "incognito" on your phone.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
turn off the wifi and go over cell towers while going "incognito" on your phone.
Incognito mode only protects you from yourself and anyone with complete access to your phone.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:37 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The only reason I would join the guest Wifi is if the cell service is so bad there as to be unusable.
That's a great point. If you're concerned, and can use your regular service, why go the wifi route?

Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 AM

10,063 posts, read 4,668,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's a great point. If you're concerned, and can use your regular service, why go the wifi route?
Too cheap to buy a larger data package?

Seems like Op's post history on here is paranoia about his employment, he should really work on that and not worry about junk

No one cares to monitor anything until it is time to get rid of someone, then they pull logs and pile on the justifications to get rid of him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment