U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM

395 posts, read 152,773 times

Advertisements

The new company I work for tells everyone we can be on their WiFi (they used to have us use the Employee one but now we are told to log on to the guest one). I’m just wondering if they can check what websites you are on from your personal phone? Like can they check if you are on FB on your iPhone? Not that I have time to be on my phone much but if I use Spotify on my phone to listen to music will that slow down the network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Yes, they can see if they want.

http://money.com/money/4890303/employer-browsing-data/

Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 AM

23,998 posts, read 32,833,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
The new company I work for tells everyone we can be on their WiFi (they used to have us use the Employee one but now we are told to log on to the guest one). Iím just wondering if they can check what websites you are on from your personal phone? Like can they check if you are on FB on your iPhone? Not that I have time to be on my phone much but if I use Spotify on my phone to listen to music will that slow down the network?
Yes, they can see it.

You streaming Spotify likely won't impact the office's wifi. Hundreds of people streaming Spotify will be noticeable. How noticeable depends on their setup.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM

79 posts, read 43,231 times
you know im always paranoid about it as im pretty bad about browsing at work when I have some downtime.

but ive worked at 3 different fortune 500 companies now. and in all my years, I have not heard one person ever getting tracked from it.

ive heard it happen at other companies. but never one ive been at

Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 AM

4,349 posts, read 7,994,008 times
Absolutely - the owner of the network can pretty much add any tools they want to monitor the traffic flowing across their network. Whether or not they actually do it is another question.

In the end, most companies provide a guest wifi so that they don't have to worry about the traffic and the risks these personal devices bring on their internal network. Monitoring traffic isn't exactly easy or effortless, and most IT/security departments are busy enough trying to keep company data in and malicious actors out. The guest network is often not something they tend to worry about...as much.

If you are really concerned, use a VPN service. Albeit some places may actually block those.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
The only reason I would join the guest Wifi is if the cell service is so bad there as to be unusable.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM

780 posts, read 204,391 times
We have a guest WiFi, no login required. I suppose if you had a specific login that you had to use, then yes, they could track it to you. In our instance, I'm not sure how they'd track it to an individual unless they seized their personal property to get the network info. The vast majority of IT personnel I've spoken to on this matter don't really care about it unless you're clogging up their network bandwidth or is inappropriate for work. That's why services like Hulu and Netflix tend to be blocked. Ours still allows for YouTube and music streaming services, which is good because I use both while working. YouTube is a great resource for tutorials and disseminating information, so that's my guess for why they don't usually block that video content site.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:02 PM

4,084 posts, read 2,949,672 times
I can't imagine any company putting the time and cost into doing this. Let's say there are 1,000 employees in their building, plus guests, cleaning service employees, vendors, etc.......how are they going to pinpoint who's doing what? And why would they care or bother with such nonsense? It's not worth the time/effort to do something like this unless there was some child p.orn ring coming out of that location. You can safely Spotify/Facebook to your heart's content.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
I'm glad I rarely use my phone at work for calls. And even if they tracked them, the info. would be awfully boring and innocent.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,234,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I can't imagine any company putting the time and cost into doing this. Let's say there are 1,000 employees in their building, plus guests, cleaning service employees, vendors, etc.......how are they going to pinpoint who's doing what? And why would they care or bother with such nonsense? It's not worth the time/effort to do something like this unless there was some child p.orn ring coming out of that location. You can safely Spotify/Facebook to your heart's content.
Every phone, tablet, laptop, computer and other device connected to a network has a unique MAC address. Every company these days has access to plenty of automated tools that monitor their network. If they want to see how much time any device is connected to Facebook or Citydata for instance it's as easy as writing an automated script to monitor that. It takes literally no time/effort to monitor these things because it's all done with software and AI. Just assume everything you are doing online is being tracked because it is. If not by your work's IT department then by your ISP or phone carrier and of course by the government (anyone read the Edward Snowden reports?).

Sure most people are doing boring stuff that nobody cares about. But say you underperforming at work and they are looking for justification to fire you and they can just pull a report that says you are surfing Facebook for 8 hours a day at work then they have just cause now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment