U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM

1,179 posts, read 581,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1157 View Post
I think my job is taking advantage of me but Im not sure.

I work part time. They were trying to get me to full time because they said they liked me enough to do full time. Friday they told me about a position that opened up and wanted me to apply. They emailed over a job description and they already said I got position unless theres a reason why like it depends who else applies. I applied on Friday.

Today they said since I already work there they can interview me today. I had interview. The part that I did not like is that they said they are going to hire me for the full time position but they do not want me to do new position, just old position.

My job that I have now I do a few jobs in one, including a little of what new position would be. Instead of just doing new job. Plus part time to full time with an extra $2/hr. Thats fine with me. I should be full time. But I feel like they threw a bombshell on me because they made it seem like I was transferring from current position to new position. I never got explanation on why they do not want me to transfer to new position except that they want me full time and thats only way to do it.

So thats why I think that they are taking advantage or something else that Im not seeing.

Before I overreact, I need some opinions to see what others make of the situation.
You're getting more hours, which you're OK with. You're getting a raise. You're still going to be doing a job that you didn't have any apparent objection to. I don't see how your employer (not your job) is taking advantage of you.

Someone more qualified might have applied for the other position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 05:53 PM

941 posts, read 258,949 times
Quote:
No I do not think something is wrong at current position. What I was trying to say is my position is only part time. So thats why I applied to the full time position. But this whole time they kept saying Im going to be new position. But then out of clear blue during interview he wants to keep me at same position but put me listed under full time position and keep me at part time hours / part time. Thats why I think they are taking advantage. They wont let me do new position.
Wait... so they told you that there was a new position (different job than you're doing now) that was full-time and that they were hiring you for it, but they're keeping you for the same job, still part-time? Then what changed? Just because they say a job is a different job at full-time doesn't mean it really is... I'm a bit confused. I thought you were saying earlier than they took your current job to full-time, but now you're saying that's not the case?

I don't think they're taking advantage of you-- how, by keeping you where you were?-- but I think they're not being honest with you and are reneging on what they told you would happen (and this is why, HR folks, you absolutely do NOT tell someone they have the job until you're presenting them with an offer letter. I've seen it happen too often that HR or the interviewer tells the person they have the job-- tells them explicitly and outright-- and then the person never hears from them again... It's both bad form and unprofessional).

Old 03-26-2019, 07:00 PM

11 posts, read 2,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Wait... so they told you that there was a new position (different job than you're doing now) that was full-time and that they were hiring you for it, but they're keeping you for the same job, still part-time? Then what changed? Just because they say a job is a different job at full-time doesn't mean it really is... I'm a bit confused. I thought you were saying earlier than they took your current job to full-time, but now you're saying that's not the case?

I don't think they're taking advantage of you-- how, by keeping you where you were?-- but I think they're not being honest with you and are reneging on what they told you would happen (and this is why, HR folks, you absolutely do NOT tell someone they have the job until you're presenting them with an offer letter. I've seen it happen too often that HR or the interviewer tells the person they have the job-- tells them explicitly and outright-- and then the person never hears from them again... It's both bad form and unprofessional).
Maybe you are right. Maybe they just were not honest with me.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 PM

2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
Quote:
My job that I have now I do a few jobs in one, including a little of what new position would be. Instead of just doing new job. Plus part time to full time with an extra $2/hr. Thats fine with me. I should be full time. But I feel like they threw a bombshell on me because they made it seem like I was transferring from current position to new position. I never got explanation on why they do not want me to transfer to new position except that they want me full time and thats only way to do it.

So thats why I think that they are taking advantage or something else that Im not seeing.

Before I overreact, I need some opinions to see what others make of the situation.
Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like you're getting a $2/hour raise and maybe some more extra hours. All for doing the same job you're doing now.

Doesn't look like they're taking advantage of you.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,407,863 times
I am also confused but this is how I am reading it....

Current job is A and is a part time position.
New job is B and is a full time position.

Employer wants the OP to work full time doing job A but cannot hire anyone full time into position A.
Employer has a full time position with job B but wants to fill that position but wants OP to do job A. Employer is substituting job descriptions to get around the mechanics of full/part time positions that are open-hiring on paper for B but employee actually does A.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:33 AM

11 posts, read 2,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I am also confused but this is how I am reading it....

Current job is A and is a part time position.
New job is B and is a full time position.

Employer wants the OP to work full time doing job A but cannot hire anyone full time into position A.
Employer has a full time position with job B but wants to fill that position but wants OP to do job A. Employer is substituting job descriptions to get around the mechanics of full/part time positions that are open-hiring on paper for B but employee actually does A.
Yeah thats whats happening. Plus adding that they promised switching positions so I didnt do old job anymore, just new job. Like we said / agreed. But once they hired me for new job, they then said they want me doing old job instead full time, not new job.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 AM

89 posts, read 28,336 times
Sounds like boss wants to keep you. You are getting more hours aplus extra 2 per hour? You are still coming out ahead if you want the full time pay and hours. Boss wanting to keep you is always a good thing.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,947,165 times
How do you know if your job is taking advantage of you?
  • Your responsibilities increase without notice. Whoever executed those responsibilities is doing less work or is dissociated with the company.
  • You work longer shifts and on your days off. Whoever was scheduled to work is out chronically or is dissociated with the company.
  • You exceed expectations constantly, but your increase in pay is minimal.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM

20,581 posts, read 16,637,575 times
Quote:
I tried asking but all I got was that they didn’t want me to move positions, just keep doing what Im doing. But they will put me under the new position just to get me to full time.
It sounds to me like they’re just calling it new position because they are taking short cuts to get you to full time. It is possible “corporate” doesn’t have your current position listed as having a full time opening so they are going through a back door just to be able to get you that full time position.

I think you’re assuming you will have a vastly increased workload but you know how good assumptions work out. Just ask them what your additional duties if any you will have once it goes through.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-27-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,485,141 times
I think I would play this one out and see where it goes. Don't assume they're up to no good until you KNOW that. It sounds like they may have misspoke about the new position, but they gave you a raise and are trying to figure something out for you. Remain the great employee they wanted to promote and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or