Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

I think my job is taking advantage of me but Im not sure.

I work part time. They were trying to get me to full time because they said they liked me enough to do full time. Friday they told me about a position that opened up and wanted me to apply. They emailed over a job description and they already said I got position unless theres a reason why like it depends who else applies. I applied on Friday.

Today they said since I already work there they can interview me today. I had interview. The part that I did not like is that they said they are going to hire me for the full time position but they do not want me to do new position, just old position.

My job that I have now I do a few jobs in one, including a little of what new position would be. Instead of just doing new job. Plus part time to full time with an extra $2/hr. Thats fine with me. I should be full time. But I feel like they threw a bombshell on me because they made it seem like I was transferring from current position to new position. I never got explanation on why they do not want me to transfer to new position except that they want me full time and thats only way to do it.

So thats why I think that they are taking advantage or something else that Im not seeing.

Before I overreact, I need some opinions to see what others make of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1157 View Post
I think my job is taking advantage of me but Im not sure.
Start with the assumption that they are... and that ALL jobs will do this to some degree.
What you have to determine is to what degree it is happening to YOU. Currently.

Then refine how you define the term to align with the practical realities of life.
iow... don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

If you want more/better out of things (this job or anything else in life)...
it's up to YOU to make that happen.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Maybe they did find someone else for the job. Is the extra money reasonable for what they want from you?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
This might sound crazy, but you could ask your employer what happened.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
This might sound crazy, but you could ask your employer what happened.
I tried asking but all I got was that they didn’t want me to move positions, just keep doing what Im doing. But they will put me under the new position just to get me to full time.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Maybe they did find someone else for the job. Is the extra money reasonable for what they want from you?
To start out with yes. But at some point after a certain time it goes up more (I know from other people in the department).

Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Sounds like current boss didn't want to lose you so he made an offer to his boss to hire you as full time

What's wrong with going full time at current position? Was new position a promotion? What difference does it make at the end of the day?

You get paid more and get full time job with current position, and you think something is wrong? Go ahead and stay part time if you don't want to work more hours

Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1157 View Post
To start out with yes. But at some point after a certain time it goes up more (I know from other people in the department).
Then it doesn't sound like they are taking advantage of you.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
The employer gets two employees for the price of one. If you want a different FT position, look elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Sounds like current boss didn't want to lose you so he made an offer to his boss to hire you as full time

What's wrong with going full time at current position? Was new position a promotion? What difference does it make at the end of the day?

You get paid more and get full time job with current position, and you think something is wrong? Go ahead and stay part time if you don't want to work more hours
No I do not think something is wrong at current position. What I was trying to say is my position is only part time. So thats why I applied to the full time position. But this whole time they kept saying Im going to be new position. But then out of clear blue during interview he wants to keep me at same position but put me listed under full time position and keep me at part time hours / part time. Thats why I think they are taking advantage. They wont let me do new position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment