U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 PM

718 posts, read 1,454,942 times

Advertisements

This has to be the most frustrating job hiring process I've ever been through. I currently have a full time job, but was hired for part time work doing home health/transitional care type of work (I'm an RN). Applied for said position on company website, never received a call. I called their HR and asked if there were still any openings, I was told yes and she acted surprised I was never called. One hour later I get a call from an administrator asking if I would like to come in for an interview. Interview goes well, basically hired and was send a packet of paperwork to fill out and mail in. Paperwork mailed in 3 days or so later and I sit for a week. After a week call the same admin asking if they had received packet, magically it came that day or the day before.

Was sent for physical and urine drug screen which I completed within a week, called same admin and was told I would get a phone call about an orientation date "by the end of the week" (referring to last week). To no shock, said phone call never occurred. So here I sit, nearing the end of Monday and no call, no email, nothing. A potential employer who asked me to fill orientation paperwork out and take off early for a physical/UDS and no contact. I think I have called them four time to their one in this whole process

At this point I'm ready to start looking for other side work. Only things I can think of is: they found someone after my interview they really wanted. Or, I magically failed a drug test. If so, I guess they better tell my employer (federal govt) that I'm a druggie (I'm not, just over this already).

Do I give up, or make another phone call and get to the point? And, why would an employer waste time and money to string someone along? Seems like physicals and the like would be rather expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM

3,771 posts, read 5,478,352 times
Most people will tell you that the hiring process will be a predictor of how the company is managed. So if you get this job, you will have to deal with a lot of disorganization and lack of communication. I would keep on looking, until you are actually working at the job and it's going well.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM

15,030 posts, read 21,758,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Most people will tell you that the hiring process will be a predictor of how the company is managed. So if you get this job, you will have to deal with a lot of disorganization and lack of communication. I would keep on looking, until you are actually working at the job and it's going well.
Agreed. Sounds like they are either very disorganized or very understaffed. I would look elsewhere. I don't think they would have gone to such great lengths to just hire someone else.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 PM

3,771 posts, read 5,478,352 times
Also, you can't look at their actions in terms of "what makes sense" or "what you would do, if you were hiring". Some businesses are chaotically managed, so nothing will make sense.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:44 PM

17,318 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Why keep doing this to yourself?

After the first time, that should have been a clue that this organization is disorganized and not some place to extend any more effort towards. The bottom line is that one should never have to keep asking and prodding along a company to see where you are in the hiring process.

Save your remaining self respect and move on. IF they happen to contact you back, fine, at least you didn't wait around aimlessly.

(fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...).

Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 PM

2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
This is precisely what I mean when I say the job market is over-hyped.

Supposedly facilities are supposed to be chomping at the bit for RNs. Especially one who potentially has clearances and working for the Fed.

Where are all the "Economy is great/Job market is great" posters now?

I'd love to just say "Move on" but unfortunately this seems to be the norm now. At my own current employer I feel like the door was slammed shut after I was hired. We have 2 open requisitions for 3 months now and nobody has been interviewed or even looked at This is a F100 Company.

All I can say is nobody cares anymore and it's always someone else's problem. I could never work in healthcare. All the corporate political BS + you have people's lives in your hands. No thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:06 PM

2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The bottom line is that one should never have to keep asking and prodding along a company to see where you are in the hiring process.
In what industry/location is this NOT required?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 PM

718 posts, read 1,454,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why keep doing this to yourself?

After the first time, that should have been a clue that this organization is disorganized and not some place to extend any more effort towards. The bottom line is that one should never have to keep asking and prodding along a company to see where you are in the hiring process.

Save your remaining self respect and move on. IF they happen to contact you back, fine, at least you didn't wait around aimlessly.

(fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...).
Yea, just a bummer. The extra pay was to be used for expenses and a trip to see our son, whom is stationed in Texas. Now itís back to the drawing board I guess.

Thing that kills meóif you pump someone up about a job, do the right thing and let them know: 1. Thereís a delay. 2. We had to pass on hiring anyone.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Remember the rule: How a company treats their candidates is how they will treat their employees.

So if they're treating you crappy now, imagine how crappy you'll be treated when you're actually working for them.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM

11 posts, read 2,521 times
I came to the conclusion (aka personal opinion) that you can tell how a place is run by their hiring.

When I got my job, they literally hired anyone who came thru the door because they are that understaffed. They literally can’t get anyone to come in for interviews. So I was happy thinking I got my first job from college. I havent been thru that before so I had no clue. When I started I saw they were understaffed, staff is cranky and have some screws loose from being overworked, the staff complains, they are overworked, etc. Now, I think they might be taking advantage of me. They want me to be full time so bad but wont let me leave my position to go to new position. They want me in same position doing full time work. But my position only is capable of being part time.

Yours is the same. If they want you so darn bad, why do you have to go surfing for info? They should be doing the fishing. They obviously do not want you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or