U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM

203 posts, read 53,074 times

Advertisements

well then it's stupid to put that in the range and then ask someone what their salary expectations is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,359,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
well then it's stupid to put that in the range and then ask someone what their salary expectations is.
Just realize that this is standard for job hunting. If you ask for the top, you will outbid yourself usually.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM

then other advice i've seen is that you shouldnt sell yourself short. Hard to win these days

Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,468,567 times
Some employers never find workers, due to the low salary. The same role will pop up repeatedly.

If you see 10 postings from different employers, you can bet 7 of them will be below market. I work in corporate and tend to stick to the Fortune 100 companies. Some of the smaller companies can pay as well. In most cases, they say they can't offer the same salary as the larger company.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-26-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,945,731 times
If possible try and give a broad range instead, ie: "Low 70s to mid 80s" and then if and when you get a formal offer you can try and negotiate it up a bit. I try not to lock myself into a hard and fast number if I can help it. I agree the whole song and dance is a bit ridiculous but you unfortunately have to play the game if you want an offer.

Keep in mind salary is only one component, people often overlook great benefits like a company matched 401K plan or a good health insurance plan where the employer covers most of the cost.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,359,091 times
Quote:
then other advice i've seen is that you shouldnt sell yourself short. Hard to win these days
Having been in corporate America for many years, a lot of the companies with huge ranges like this will pay around 10% less than the midpoint to start . It's obviously industry and company specific but I found it to be generally in this ballpark.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,990,870 times
Quote:
I applied for a job over the weekend and heard from the hiring manager this morning. He thanked me for applying and said based on my past experience he thinks this could be a strong fit. He asked me to complete a survey that asked a number of questions mostly about the type of culture I'm looking for and what I want out of my next job. The salary was also listed as 55k-90k and i put I'd be looking for 85k (there was a questions that asked about salary)

I heard back from him at 4pm and he just said, 'Thanks so much McBridge.'

um ok...and??
Did they just leave a message or was this via email? Why didn't you ask what the next step was if you were present? If you weren't present, you can still follow-up ...no?

Or are you expecting them to hold your hand through the entire process?

Quote:

I'm telling you...looking for a job is the worst. I have no idea if he is no longer interested or what.

I also had a job interview on thursday where i met with 4 different people, hiring manager really seemed to like me...i sent a thank you that afternoon and she said it was great meeting with me and she'd be in touch next week. Heard nothing today so I'm not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure my salary requirements are too high. She asked what they were in the in person and i just had a feeling. I wish she had asked for them before i came in, could have saved me a trip.

To me if a few days go by and you have not heard next steps then it's not a good sign. If they want you, they'll make plans quickly.
Nothing is stopping you from asking what their range is or providing your requirement before you meet.
And of course it's hard - you're asking people to part with their money. It's call business development. You're basically a one man company looking to sell your skills.

Quote:
I also think it's BS to list a range of 55k-90k and THEN ask someone what their expectations are and not move forward when they choose 85k. This is BOSTON, it's expensive. No one unless they are desperate (which i guess some are) will pick the low end of that based on the job description.
So, you're assuming they balked at your stated price and nothing else....? Perhaps someone just as qualified quoted a lower rate? Maybe they didn't think your background commanded that price? And I don't mean to say that you aren't worth it - but they may not be informed enough to know.

In the end, understand that for any job you are applying for, there are probably 10 others that are also applying. When it comes back that you don't have enough experience, are asking too much, or don't fit the criteria - these aren't absolutes, but relative to the others that are applying.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:53 AM

well he said thank you very much to my responses....normally at that point HE would schedule next steps based on whether he liked my responses. If he didnt like my responses why respond at all. Ugh.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM

8,958 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If possible try and give a broad range instead, ie: "Low 70s to mid 80s" and then if and when you get a formal offer you can try and negotiate it up a bit. I try not to lock myself into a hard and fast number if I can help it. I agree the whole song and dance is a bit ridiculous but you unfortunately have to play the game if you want an offer.

Keep in mind salary is only one component, people often overlook great benefits like a company matched 401K plan or a good health insurance plan where the employer covers most of the cost.
Terrible idea. As an employer, I now know that I can pay you low 70s, because you told me so. Why would I offer you mid 80s?

As much as people donít like it, typically the best thing to do is determine what salary you want and throw it out there. If you are well informed about your industry and area, you should be in the ballpark,and if you are honest about your needs, you save time by excluding companies that will low all you.

Throwing out a range is simply a tactic to delay the conversation, and it isnít the best tactic by far.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM

so i followed up with the guy who just said, thanks so much McBridge. I just asked if he thought there'd still be fit. HE said yes there might be but apparently what has him second guessing me is this:

One thing I wanted to call out is that you shared you're looking to maintain ~40 hours a week in your next role. I would say that most folks take 45-55 hours a week to meet their goals, and generally closer to 50-55 hours for the first 6 months while onboarding. With that in mind, is this still an opportunity you want to pursue?

I am used to working 40 hours in my current role now and then doing more work at home. not sure if i'd want to job where the expectation is to put in 50-55 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment