Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 PM

112 posts, read 285,646 times

Advertisements

In 2018 I worked the night shift and was responsible for time cards. During a certain period towards the end of the year we got extra workers, and then at the beginning of January 2019, they were gone.

One of the extra workers and I got into a friendly banter, or at least I thought it was friendly because the other person was smiling and slightly laughing while were bantering. The next day my boss asks me about, but I wasn't in trouble. Either that day or the next I saw the person and apologized to them if my bantering came off as anything but having fun. I explained I have a strange sense of humor and I mean no harm to anyone. I apologized again for how the person might have taken it. The person said they understood my sense of humor now and they accepted my apology.

Today, (mind you, we're three to four months past when they left the job) I get a call from HR saying that this person filed a case with the labor board (the place we work is Union, so not sure why they waited to go to the labor board) saying I altered their time card in retaliation of them ratting me out. I told HR exactly what happened last year and how I avoided this person after everything went down, even me apologizing. I also told HR that I had someone else do this person's time card because I didn't want this person accusing me of doing something with their time card as they are doing now.

HR knew that during this particular time period it can be a blur due to how busy we are. I did my best to give a timeline, but again, reiterated that I had someone else do this person's time card. HR asked if this person ever came to me about their hours being short to which I replied, I don't remember, which I don't. I don't remember yesterday, how am I going to remember three to four months ago.

My thing is why is this person waiting three months to bring this up and going to the labor board instead of the Union? Also, what does this all mean?

Thanks for the feedback.

Signed//
Confused and Mad in Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Just stick to your story. If you dint remember you dint remember.
I used to turn everybody’s time. They did their time sheets and had to sign them. I would talk to your boss and tell him they should jake a policy where every employee is responsible for turning their time sheet in to you. Where you review it and pass it on.

If someone came to you with a timesheet that was wrong you would of remembered that.

Bes5 thing I can tell you is get a memo book. Write yourself a daily report as to what happened. Just highlights. You d8nt need to go minute by minute. This will jog your memory later.

The guy is being a jerk. Is he saying he stayed and worked ot? If he got paid fir a full day spend everyone’s timesheet was identical I d8nt see how it was altered

You are not a manager and truthfully I doubt anything is gonna happen.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 PM

This place pays people weekly, so if there was an issue with their time sheet, they would have known that week and an adjustment would have been done. There's only one time I've done a time card wrong and not giving someone the hours they worked and that was because I wasn't trained on how to do this one particular person's time card. After I was showed, they never had an issue with their pay. The person that went to the labor board had a time card that's straight forward regardless of which position they worked during this particular time period.

No, the person is not saying he stayed and worked over. They worked straight hours and I was there when they came back to the building because I had to wait for everyone to come in to close out time cards for the night. And yes, I agree this person is being a jerk. It sounds like they have a miserable life and want others to be miserable.

No, I'm not management at all. I'm a supervisor but not with any powers really. I can't write anyone up, have a wall to wall with them or anything like that. I'm low on the totem pole, and I'm OK with that.

At first, I thought it was the amount of time it took the labor board to get to this, but three months is a long time to wait. And as mentioned, the place I work is Union so why not file a grievance against me while they were there?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
This place pays people weekly, so if there was an issue with their time sheet, they would have known that week and an adjustment would have been done. There's only one time I've done a time card wrong and not giving someone the hours they worked and that was because I wasn't trained on how to do this one particular person's time card. After I was showed, they never had an issue with their pay. The person that went to the labor board had a time card that's straight forward regardless of which position they worked during this particular time period.

No, the person is not saying he stayed and worked over. They worked straight hours and I was there when they came back to the building because I had to wait for everyone to come in to close out time cards for the night. And yes, I agree this person is being a jerk. It sounds like they have a miserable life and want others to be miserable.

No, I'm not management at all. I'm a supervisor but not with any powers really. I can't write anyone up, have a wall to wall with them or anything like that. I'm low on the totem pole, and I'm OK with that.

At first, I thought it was the amount of time it took the labor board to get to this, but three months is a long time to wait. And as mentioned, the place I work is Union so why not file a grievance against me while they were there?
Have you told HR what you told us here? That if there was a problem, it should have surfaced within the timeframe that the former employee, temp employee, was still on duty? And if he'd raised the problem back then, it wouldn't have gone to you, the person you'd requested to do his card would have been answerable.

Interesting.

Sounds like he misunderstood your sense of humor, taking it wrong, but pretended to be amused, because you were a supervisor, so he felt he couldn't confront you.

You never know about people. Misunderstandings happen, and some people have weird complexes, that cause them to misconstrue things completely, project stuff onto people that isn't there, and so on.

Sounds like you've handled it well so far. That was really smart, to have someone else do his card. You just saved your butt with that, I think.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you told HR what you told us here? That if there was a problem, it should have surfaced within the timeframe that the former employee, temp employee, was still on duty? And if he'd raised the problem back then, it wouldn't have gone to you, the person you'd requested to do his card would have been answerable.
HR knows the time frame is three to four months ago. HR also knows things back then are blur because it there was so much going on and even said so.

Interesting.

Sounds like he misunderstood your sense of humor, taking it wrong, but pretended to be amused, because you were a supervisor, so he felt he couldn't confront you.[/quote]

We're not their direct supervisor. As mentioned we can't write them up or have wall to walls with them. We can only instruct them where to go and what needs to be done there, and that's it.

You never know about people. Misunderstandings happen, and some people have weird complexes, that cause them to misconstrue things completely, project stuff onto people that isn't there, and so on.

Sounds like you've handled it well so far. That was really smart, to have someone else do his card. You just saved your butt with that, I think. [/quote]

Not to toot my horn, but yes I made a smart move by having someone else do their time card. Thank you for that Ruth4Truth (love the name by the way).

I knew this person was trouble when they complained about me after smiling and laughing during our bantering. This is why I wanted someone else to do their time card, and I explained to the person why I wanted them to do their time card and they completely agreed. I think I did this person's time card once or twice after the incident because the other person wasn't there and wasn't going to be in for the rest of the day. We always made copies of time cards we did that came from paper, but the company throws those away after a month, back then. Now we keep two months plus the current month time sheets.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,081 times
my 1st job involved time cards yeah ppl get real anal about that even if good employee

just a line don't cross or mess up

Old 03-30-2019, 12:19 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Because, if the alleged alteration of the time card resulted in a discrepancy over pay or reported hours worked, the individual has a RIGHT to file a complaint with the appropriate state agency. Your employer may be forced under the union contract to handle any action they take over this with you in a specific manner, but the can't bar a person from contacting the state over an alleged violation of wage and hour regulations.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
We're not their direct supervisor. As mentioned we can't write them up or have wall to walls with them. We can only instruct them where to go and what needs to be done there, and that's it.

…

Something is very confused here. You approve their time cards, yet aren't their supervisor? Approving time cards is a classic supervisory duty. In that role you can't have "friendly banter" with someone because you have authority of their most important thing -- their pay. You have to accept the fact that you aren't one of the guys. You may think of yourself as low on the totem pole, but to them you are management.

With that out of the way, it should be straight forward for HR to go back into the records and pull whoever approved the time card for that week. If they can't do that, then they have a bigger problem coming than just one person's time card.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:09 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Today, (mind you, we're three to four months past when they left the job) I get a call from HR saying that this person filed a case with the labor board (the place we work is Union, so not sure why they waited to go to the labor board) saying I altered their time card in retaliation of them ratting me out.
"No, I didn't. They're wrong. They're confused or lying. Go ask them for proof. When they can't produce it, figure out how to deal with their issue without involving me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment