U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 AM

662 posts, read 223,450 times

Advertisements

Spent time revamping my resume to reflect my retail management experierince. Explained my interest in the position. Applied for an admin position that read like a FULL TIME position supporting the store manager at a major chain department store. Besides admin type duties there were bullet points about assisting with HR duties as in onboarding tasks, etc. Interviewr explained that the position was part time with emphasis working on the sales floor filling in where and when needed. Huh? No where was the “floater” position was even described in the lengthy job description. Interview concluded within ten minutes. I felt like I was “ghosted” except I met with the ghost! WTHeck! Ya gotta laugh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 04:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Sounds like a perfunctory interview. Maybe they determined quickly they didn't want you? I've experienced those. Best to quickly move on to the next opportunity. If it's any consolation, perfunctory interviews have more to do with preferring the other candidates in the pool than anything you could control.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:31 AM

Thanks Bo. I did not lose sleep over it. Thought it was ridicilous frankly.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:44 AM

1,862 posts, read 717,074 times
Bait and switch? Unprofessional behaviour at the very least.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM

Such BS.....this was the automated rejection email..lol!

We have carefully reviewed your skills and qualifications. Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,940,630 times
An interview has a limited amount of time for both the prospective employer and the prospective hire. The prospective employer should be specific which position is being filled and if it is the right fit for the hire. The prospective hire must meet and exceed the employer's preferences and qualifications.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:51 AM

30 minutes was the time slot. The job was advertised as full-time..interviewer mis-represented the position entirely. My resume was very detailed...they did NOT have to invite me to interview if they were not interested in speaking with me . My time is valuable too. I was boldface lied to. Not shopping there anymore. No problem ....moved on.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 AM

531 posts, read 620,077 times
We were not there but usually this is just a way a person says thanks but no thanks. I've had this happen a few times over the last decade. All you can do is move on. Find something great!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 AM

935 posts, read 257,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Sounds like a perfunctory interview. Maybe they determined quickly they didn't want you? I've experienced those. Best to quickly move on to the next opportunity. If it's any consolation, perfunctory interviews have more to do with preferring the other candidates in the pool than anything you could control.
Nah, sounds like a bait-and-switch to me. I've heard of it happening before with sales jobs, because they know no one wants them...

Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM

5,029 posts, read 3,216,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Spent time revamping my resume to reflect my retail management experierince. Explained my interest in the position. Applied for an admin position that read like a FULL TIME position supporting the store manager at a major chain department store. Besides admin type duties there were bullet points about assisting with HR duties as in onboarding tasks, etc. Interviewr explained that the position was part time with emphasis working on the sales floor filling in where and when needed. Huh? No where was the “floater” position was even described in the lengthy job description. Interview concluded within ten minutes. I felt like I was “ghosted” except I met with the ghost! WTHeck! Ya gotta laugh....
Not surprised. Applied for a few jobs with HD and Lowe's got a call for an interview and waited. they called and said "This is for a cashier position PART TIME" I said "Oh, no I was applying for assembly or hardware and full time"....One beat, two beats "So you don't want to have an interview?" ""If this is the job you're offering I'd be crazy to waste my time, so no thanks anyway I guess" and hung up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment