U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 08:23 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,553,315 times

Advertisements

I’ve been at companies where 80 hours a week was the norm and it was awful for work life balance. But when you accept jobs at those companies you do your best and look for a new one in the meantime. I did 80-100 hours a week for 6 years when I first started my career and I have no regrets since it was great experience. However I wouldn’t do it now that I have children. The way I see it is if it’s a value add to the resume do it for a couple years and move on but if it’s not move on ASAP. The culture won’t change at the company
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:49 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,995,843 times
I disagree with you on your points. If wage and labor finds that he has been improperly reclassified, he will not need an atty at all -- the government will do all of the work. I have seen it happen. A solid case won't even go to court. The employer will attempt to settle for a lesser amount because they don't want to pay the full amount owed, and they don't want to pay to defend themselves in court against a case that they are going to lose. A termination would be retribution against a whistle blower, which is a separate and distinct law suit in itself. FLSA cases are commonly taken on a contingency basis.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:40 PM

3,772 posts, read 2,128,856 times
Factoring in the amount of hours worked you’re probably working close to minimum wage. Get out of there. Exploitation

Old 03-28-2019, 01:07 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I disagree with you on your points. If wage and labor finds that he has been improperly reclassified, he will not need an atty at all -- the government will do all of the work. I have seen it happen. A solid case won't even go to court. The employer will attempt to settle for a lesser amount because they don't want to pay the full amount owed, and they don't want to pay to defend themselves in court against a case that they are going to lose. A termination would be retribution against a whistle blower, which is a separate and distinct law suit in itself. FLSA cases are commonly taken on a contingency basis.
Yeah, I worked for a company that got in trouble for paying people exempt (salary) for non-exempt work years ago. There was no lawyer involved, the FLSA auditors came in themselves, I am assuming an employee called. OP can probably just call the FLSA and they will make a discreet visit to the employer. Of course, employer for a small restaurant like this will find out who it is and punish employee, but then federal whistleblower laws come into effect. All depends how far OP wants to take it.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:12 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
A good waiter at a nice restaurant can earn $40k. $40k is not a lot of money. He can probably find something else in some other line of work making that.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:52 AM

12,538 posts, read 4,238,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maustin01 View Post
My husband is a chef at a local country club. They moved him to salary last summer which forced him to take a pay cut because he was getting so much overtime pay. He has been regularly working 12 hour days and on his days off the general manager schedules caterings and events last minute that he has to work, pushing him to working 70+ hour weeks and not getting days off. The restaurant is understaffed, and they refuse to hire anyone to lighten his load. The general manager is also on salary but regularly works 30 hour weeks which forces my husband to pick up the manager's work load.

He can't go to the owners because the manager is best buds and they have let a lot of inappropriate behavior slide already. We live in a small town with very few job opportunities. There is nothing around that would pay him close to what he is making now.

Is there anyway for him to be protected from working such crazy hours?

Side note: We live in Oklahoma.
Find another job.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM

2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Find another job.
See my other thread "Bad Job..." on why that is no longer a viable solution for many.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM

78,817 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A good waiter at a nice restaurant can earn $40k. $40k is not a lot of money. He can probably find something else in some other line of work making that.
Good point. He's not getting benefits, anyway, so he may as well work for tips, and have more control over his hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment