Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's no way to tell. Some people will see it as a personal snub and reject people. Others will view it as simply business. As long as you provide as much notice as you can and don't ghost them, it's all you can do.
Who really bothers to blacklist people anyways? From what CD says, everyone has such a high turnover rate that it doesn't matter. 5-10-20 years from now, are they even going to be there to keep their snub going?

the only place I can think where blacklisting happens are low level jobs where people play favorites anyhow. You'd be thrown under the bus sooner than later at the job so what do you lose with the blacklist? Maybe if you slept with the boss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 01:17 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,354,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Can cancelling a job interview harm your chances at future opportunities with a prospective employer? Will some hiring managers/interviewers take it personal and blacklist you from their company even if you have a good explanation and conduct yourself in a professional manner?

I know the golden rule is to never stop applying for jobs until you receive a written offer in hand. Unfortunately, some places are just very disorganized and/or operate at a snail's pace. In the past, I've had to cancel interviews that were set for a week out after receiving a job offer. I just didn't want to waste their time, especially since it wasn't my preferred choice. However, since I've never re-applied to those places over the years, I've always wondered if they would hold it against me if I ever applied to them again. I've read lots of interesting stories online on other websites.

If you've ever cancelled a job interview due to receiving another job offer or any other reason (changed mind/lack of interest, unexpected situation come up, illness, etc.), have you had any luck when you re-applied?
A company doesn't track this kind of information for them to know the outcome of each applicant for a job. The reason they don't, is because they don't care. The only actual blacklist is if someone is a former employee and their employment record is flagged as not being available for rehire.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
OP doesn't know how to negotiate.

I always kept interviewing. Last month, I had 3 job offers lined up. I turned down one guy, because they were $10k below the other two. The other two companies to raise their offers by $4k and $5k. They were so close in total salary, that it was essentially a tie.

When I worked at a smaller company, it happened a few times. We couldn't pay the same salaries as the Fortune 100 guys for corporate work.

They were always welcome back, if it didn't work out. My manager wouldn't blacklist people. He might not be there in a year or two. They are working on their career and looking at other companies also.
In tech, companies are rescinding offers for "asking for time to think about it" because the job market has tightened up a bit to where they don't have to be flexible on offers at all. If they extend an offer before you have a chance to interview with another company, you can automatically cross them off the list.

Unless you want to fight back and "accept" but continue to interview if the start date is pushed out far enough to hear from other companies.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
OP doesn't know how to negotiate.

I always kept interviewing. Last month, I had 3 job offers lined up. I turned down one guy, because they were $10k below the other two. The other two companies to raise their offers by $4k and $5k. They were so close in total salary, that it was essentially a tie.

When I worked at a smaller company, it happened a few times. We couldn't pay the same salaries as the Fortune 100 guys for corporate work.

They were always welcome back, if it didn't work out. My manager wouldn't blacklist people. He might not be there in a year or two. They are working on their career and looking at other companies also.
Not every field gives you the ability to negotiate. If you are in a field where they typically take a month to decide and you have to start the new job two days after you get the interview (or possibly after you’ve already interviewed), why take the interview? It makes no sense. It is one thing if companies are able to offer jobs quickly, but in some fields/sectors, it moves at a sloth’s pace and you don’t have that luxury. You are given a couple of days to make a decision and maybe a few weeks to give notice and start.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,221,334 times
If you are serious about the job, I would say never cancel an interview. Really. Do not do this.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 8,269 times
If they do, they are not worth working for.

Same with recruiters. If a company has recruiters who can get you interviews and they blackblist you for that, they are not worth using.

I had a few who obviously blacklisted me. I do not care. Obviously they not worth working for. I can count on one hand for both recruiter and jobs combined.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
A company doesn't track this kind of information for them to know the outcome of each applicant for a job. The reason they don't, is because they don't care. The only actual blacklist is if someone is a former employee and their employment record is flagged as not being available for rehire.
I don't agree with this at all. Last November, I applied at a company and passed the phone interview. I cancelled my scheduled interview with this company because two days prior, I received an offer from a different company which eventually underwent a hiring freeze and the offer fell through, so I reached back out to the company I cancelled with and informed them of my situation. They said they thought I would have been a great fit for their position but unfortunately the job had been filled. Soon afterwards, the company re-posted the job again in February of this year; being that I already passed their phone screen, I thought I had a good chance at securing an interview. I applied and never heard anything. Recently, in May, they reposted the job again. I applied for a third time and never heard anything.

They recently reposted the job again this week. Is there any point in applying again or have I been blacklisted permanently for cancelling their interview? It just seems odd that they said I would have been a great fit based on my phone screen but seemingly do not want anything to do with me after cancelling the interview.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkash3 View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Last November, I applied at a company and passed the phone interview. I cancelled my scheduled interview with this company because two days prior, I received an offer from a different company which eventually underwent a hiring freeze and the offer fell through, so I reached back out to the company I cancelled with and informed them of my situation. They said they thought I would have been a great fit for their position but unfortunately the job had been filled. Soon afterwards, the company re-posted the job again in February of this year; being that I already passed their phone screen, I thought I had a good chance at securing an interview. I applied and never heard anything. Recently, in May, they reposted the job again. I applied for a third time and never heard anything.

They recently reposted the job again this week. Is there any point in applying again or have I been blacklisted permanently for cancelling their interview? It just seems odd that they said I would have been a great fit based on my phone screen but seemingly do not want anything to do with me after cancelling the interview.
You are dealing with people. The same hiring manager saw your application again and realized they wanted a different skill set. Don't mistake passing through hoops and as being certified for the position. HR and hiring managers don't run on an exact science. Their needs can change quickly.

There is no blacklist and your experience here isn't convincing that one exists. HR routinely re-posts the same jobs and they start the hiring process all over again with new people applying for the job.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:01 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,062,327 times
Mkash3, you're wondering about this makes perfect sense to me.

Can't be proven either way. But I wouldn't doubt it.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Mkash3, you're wondering about this makes perfect sense to me.

Can't be proven either way. But I wouldn't doubt it.
Of course it can be proven. You think if there was a real blacklist database in a company, they could keep that a secret? Interns who work in HR wouldn't tell anyone about it? Those who retired from the company wouldn't reveal this?

I can tell you as a hiring manager, when people have canceled a scheduled interview we simply move on to other candidates. There is no drama about this as if it was some sort of unconscionable behavior. We don't even discuss it. There is no tracking to blacklist someone for doing this, it would serve no purpose.

Thank about this. We scheduled an interview and the person cancels it. Fine, better than ghosting on us. If they changed their mind for whatever reason, I'm glad they figured it out now instead of after they accepted the job. We are running a business, we don't feel slighted when circumstances change.

I think people are confusing dating with job interviewing. Sure, if you ask someone to the dance and they say no, you might not want to ask them again, we understand this. But this is a business. A vendor gives us a proposal which costs more than someone else, we don't ban the higher cost vendor from the approved vendor list. That would be silly. Someone gets promoted with another job offer, we wish them well and they leave. If they apply for a job with us again, we don't hold it against them that "you snubbed us!" and never to be allowed back in again, because that would also be silly. Someone goes and works for the competition and wants to come back after a promotion they are more valuable than before.

I know job searching is hard, but there aren't evil forces work against you the way people think they are.

Yes, if you are rude or simply unimpressive during the job screening and interview process, and they find someone better or cheaper from the talent pool that is available at the time, that individual may remember you. But to think there is a blacklist database run by the company that once someone cancels an interview or has declined an offer or whatever the imaginary infraction might be, you are entered into the blacklist is nothing more than a paranoid conspiracy. I can't imagine any good company doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment