U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 AM

856 posts, read 474,200 times

Advertisements

i dont think it's an issue. better to cancel if you change your mind or find other employment than waste everyone's time interviewing for a job you have no intention on accepting. And yes, I do interviewing and hiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 AM

6,981 posts, read 7,399,832 times
Wow. Talk of candidates wasting a company’s time by interviewing for a job the candidate already knows he or she doesn’t want to. In my opinion that’s a laugh. What happens more often? A candidate interviewing for a job he or she knows he or she doesn’t want and knows going in that he or she is wasting his or her own time? Or a company or hiring official wasting a candidate’s time?

If we could get companies and hiring officials to stop wasting candidates time when they know with enough certainty that they’re going to hire from within, then that would be real progress!

Old 08-10-2019, 06:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 2,343,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkash3 View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Last November, I applied at a company and passed the phone interview. I cancelled my scheduled interview with this company because two days prior, I received an offer from a different company which eventually underwent a hiring freeze and the offer fell through, so I reached back out to the company I cancelled with and informed them of my situation. They said they thought I would have been a great fit for their position but unfortunately the job had been filled. Soon afterwards, the company re-posted the job again in February of this year; being that I already passed their phone screen, I thought I had a good chance at securing an interview. I applied and never heard anything. Recently, in May, they reposted the job again. I applied for a third time and never heard anything.

They recently reposted the job again this week. Is there any point in applying again or have I been blacklisted permanently for cancelling their interview? It just seems odd that they said I would have been a great fit based on my phone screen but seemingly do not want anything to do with me after cancelling the interview.
They posted the same position three times in seven months? If that’s the case, you might consider yourself lucky you didn’t take it the first time. I wouldn't continue to waste your time with this company.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:24 PM

856 posts, read 474,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Wow. Talk of candidates wasting a company’s time by interviewing for a job the candidate already knows he or she doesn’t want to. In my opinion that’s a laugh. What happens more often? A candidate interviewing for a job he or she knows he or she doesn’t want and knows going in that he or she is wasting his or her own time? Or a company or hiring official wasting a candidate’s time?

If we could get companies and hiring officials to stop wasting candidates time when they know with enough certainty that they’re going to hire from within, then that would be real progress!
Wow. it's a 2 way street. I dont believe in wasting candidates' time and money either.

companies should not interview for the sake of interviewing unless there's a reason why, sometimes union rules and whatnot force companies to interview externally, even though they already have someone lined up for the position. but overall, interviewing a bunch of 10 people knowing you'll hire internally is dumb and a waste of time and money. Not something I do.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
It would be nice. I once followed-up after an interview only to be told they were hiring one of the manager's friends for the role. I always believed it was a done deal right from the get go.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 438,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
It would be nice. I once followed-up after an interview only to be told they were hiring one of the manager's friends for the role. I always believed it was a done deal right from the get go.
What size company? How many employees?

In large companies they wouldn't tell you who the hired, if they tell you much of anything at all. Most of the time they said they are no longer accepting applicants or the job is closed. Both of those things could mean they decided not to fill the position.

Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
What size company? How many employees?

In large companies they wouldn't tell you who the hired, if they tell you much of anything at all. Most of the time they said they are no longer accepting applicants or the job is closed. Both of those things could mean they decided not to fill the position.
Oh man, this was years ago. It was a small dental office. I also noticed afterwards that they reposted the same job every three months online which made me a bit suspicious.

Old Today, 01:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 3,875,055 times
Quote:
I also noticed afterwards that they reposted the same job every three months online which made me a bit suspicious.
I saw similar issues when job searching and eventually stopped contacting those businesses Reposting the same job ad for years, in some cases. I knew not to apply at those places.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

5,581 posts, read 1,396,488 times
I doubt it. Unless you are some really high level recruit, I doubt they would even remember.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

17 posts, read 134 times
Quote:
Can cancelling a job interview harm your chances at future opportunities with a prospective employer? Will some hiring managers/interviewers take it personal and blacklist you from their company even if you have a good explanation and conduct yourself in a professional manner?
Unlikely. The mindset of the hiring manager is usually "I need to fill this position and you may be able to do it...I don't care if you cancelled, I don't care if you smoke pot, I don't care if you have long hair, I don't care if...I NEED you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or