U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 AM

4,727 posts, read 2,329,710 times

Advertisements

Can cancelling a job interview harm your chances at future opportunities with a prospective employer? Will some hiring managers/interviewers take it personal and blacklist you from their company even if you have a good explanation and conduct yourself in a professional manner?

I know the golden rule is to never stop applying for jobs until you receive a written offer in hand. Unfortunately, some places are just very disorganized and/or operate at a snail's pace. In the past, I've had to cancel interviews that were set for a week out after receiving a job offer. I just didn't want to waste their time, especially since it wasn't my preferred choice. However, since I've never re-applied to those places over the years, I've always wondered if they would hold it against me if I ever applied to them again. I've read lots of interesting stories online on other websites.

If you've ever cancelled a job interview due to receiving another job offer or any other reason (changed mind/lack of interest, unexpected situation come up, illness, etc.), have you had any luck when you re-applied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 AM

1,905 posts, read 739,438 times
There is nothing wrong in telling a prospective employer that you are taking another job and won't be coming in for an interview. This happens all the time. Employers don't have any problems telling job candidates that they went with another candidate. It is the same with job candidates. They can tell prospective employers that they went with another employer.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 AM

12,255 posts, read 10,496,827 times
I'd imagine it would create a black mark at some companies but don't let it stop you from trying again. In general, I don't think most would see this as a negative if you were timely and polite about it.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:12 AM

680 posts, read 258,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
There is nothing wrong in telling a prospective employer that you are taking another job and won't be coming in for an interview. This happens all the time. Employers don't have any problems telling job candidates that they went with another candidate. It is the same with job candidates. They can tell prospective employers that they went with another employer.
Exactly.
Job interviewing is a two-way street. Any company that blacklists you for such a thing is a place not worth working at in the first place, as they may have an unrealistic thought that "everyone who's applying/interviewing here should ONLY want to work for me! How dare they look at other companies!"

Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 2,227,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd imagine it would create a black mark at some companies but don't let it stop you from trying again. In general, I don't think most would see this as a negative if you were timely and polite about it.
Black mark?

If that's the case, then definitely not a company I'd want to work for. I've canceled interviews because I ended up accepting an offer elsewhere. If that causes me to get a black mark, then not really sure what to say.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 AM

12,255 posts, read 10,496,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Black mark?

If that's the case, then definitely not a company I'd want to work for. I've canceled interviews because I ended up accepting an offer elsewhere. If that causes me to get a black mark, then not really sure what to say.
I definitely agree with you but don't you think there's at least some crappy companies out there where this happens? That's all I'm saying.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 AM

4,727 posts, read 2,329,710 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with you but don't you think there's at least some crappy companies out there where this happens? That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. It would really suck if you cancel an interview for a job offer which unfortunately fell through (hiring freeze etc) and when you try reaching back out to the other company, they just ignore you. Or tell you that the position has been filled (when it's still posted online or just freshly reposted again).

Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 5,224,801 times
Well, it's better than not showing up to the interview at all and/or possibly wasting the time of both you and the prospective employer. Some companies will feel slighted for every little thing---what can you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Black mark?

Agreed.

Quote:
Sure---and there are some crappy companies that have awful working conditions, some that will give you a hard time about calling out or taking off, some that will give you a negative reference if you leave because they are offended. You never know but if you can avoid them to begin with because they're hurt you canceled an interview, why not?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 4,740,954 times
Why cancel it because you got a job offer elsewhere? Or even if you got a job already, go interview and see what is out there.

Interviews don't cost much, plus you don't know if they would offer something better or if the current offer will turn out well.

You can always turn down the job after the interview, but it's hard to get it offered without one

I reschedule mine for medical/illness but not out right cancel it, no reason to reject an interview without knowing how it will play out. Most I've done is withdrawn myself from application process after the interview because I choose a different job. but I went through the interview with the intention of working if the offer is what I wanted

Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM

2,119 posts, read 624,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You can always turn down the job after the interview, but it's hard to get it offered without one
But the problem is if you reject the offer at some places you can be blacklisted for that too. And even more of a chance of that happening of the perception that you "wasted their time" (vs dropping out from an early interview phase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or