U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 826,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
This is "you're working at a job you hate (accounting, finance) for a few years, learning how to do this RIGHT at night, building up an awesome portfolio before you even THINK of jumping ship" kind of thing.
This, 100%.

Quote:
I get on better with techy or artsy people, can't see eye to eye with other business/Economics/Accounting grads...
Ok, but do you actually have talent in that techy/artsy space? A lot of people admire design but don't actually have the talent to sustain a career working professionally in the creative space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM

407 posts, read 146,339 times
Just took some HTML refreshment course. Oh the nostalgia. I remember the first websites I did. And my first HTML course. The first tech book I bought. Tears and goosebumps I never got from any natural language or business/Economics subject. Unlike a natural foreign language, HTML, JS etc. have some logic. Once you gasp it, you can do it all. Now PHP and C++ look less friendly to me. Any useful alternatives to them? I am refreshed in HTML5, now at CSS refreshing and started to learn/write some very beginner JavaScript. What to follow JS with? Btw I do it just as a hobby for now but you bet I'll start going to techie meetings. After all the reason why I never followed that path was that back then I couldn't meet any fellow geeky ppl. I didn't have Internet access yet when I first started writing web pages.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:19 PM

2,169 posts, read 531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Hi, I have a Bachelor degree in Business. A MSc in Communication. I have basic HTML and CSS knowledge. So far I've worked in accounting and analytics jobs. I need something more creative. ... I am more of a creative rather than an accounting type.... Not interested one bit in finance, accounting and Economics.
How about Tax? Tax can get quite creative.

For more on the creative side, how about product management or product marketing?

Old 03-29-2019, 03:34 PM

^boring. Tax would put me in an office surrounded with beancounters. I'd rather check code for errors. Ideally contribute to writing it as well. But yeah, if you ask me to chose between becoming the best accountant or economist or an average coder or a QA. I'll chose the second. I basically did it for fun as a teen. I realize real life work is less fun and more stressful. Marketing jobs are totally over here. Marketing degree holders work at call centers or McD here.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,654,843 times
Quote:
^boring. Tax would put me in an office surrounded with beancounters. I'd rather check code for errors. Ideally contribute to writing it as well. But yeah, if you ask me to chose between becoming the best accountant or economist or an average coder or a QA. I'll chose the second. I basically did it for fun as a teen. I realize real life work is less fun and more stressful. Marketing jobs are totally over here. Marketing degree holders work at call centers or McD here.
No one is asking you to choose, this is your decision...

whether you crash and burn along the way, and so what? It might be the best thing that happened for you depending how you deal with the failure

if you want to do it, go do it. But EU is over ran with a bunch of unemployed college grads because no/low tuition meant nearly everyone and their pets has a degree Feel free to compete/play with the same batch of kids
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/un....htm?view_full
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...cent_graduates
recent EU college grad unemployment around 20% and around 2% in the US...

If you are entering a new field with no experience/skills, that's the competition you're facing over there. Unless Bulgaria kicks the EU trend but I didn't see it being too different by a large margin

Old 03-29-2019, 04:24 PM

^I don't know about other countries but a degree in CS rarely teaches any relevant skills like programming here. It's usually more Mathematics-heavy. The reality is they still have to take extra time to pick up programming. Btw you can suck at Match but have a strong logical thinking and still get the logic of programming. And vice-versa, a great mathematician =/= a great programmer.

You can always get experience at a start up or small business. I failed both Statistics and Accounting at uni, yet those two top 500 corps hired me to do just that. Too bad that typecast me. Should I write I find Accounting soul-crushing on my resume? No wonder I hated it. Now I process health policies.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:38 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,543,979 times
Web Development is not saturated. Quite the opposite, there are tons of jobs out there for FULL STACK developers

You should concentrate on mastering a base language. Either JavaScript or React. Figure out whether you prefer front end (UI) or back end (server side).

Start working on a portfolio. Get your resume together. Get a membership to leetcode & hankerrank and start prepping for interviews.

sh*tload of $$$$ to be made.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 PM

4,637 posts, read 3,697,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Web Development is not saturated. Quite the opposite, there are tons of jobs out there for FULL STACK developers
I wrote:

Quote:
Yep, it's saturated at the low end, ... You need a specialty ... to compete today - just "knowing some HTML and CSS" isn't enough
There are tons of jobs for those who have the expertise to land them.

Quote:
You should concentrate on mastering a base language. Either JavaScript or React. Figure out whether you prefer front end (UI) or back end (server side).
React is a Javascript library like JQuery, not a separate language.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM

4,637 posts, read 3,697,792 times
Quote:
ow PHP and C++ look less friendly to me. Any useful alternatives to them? I am refreshed in HTML5, now at CSS refreshing and started to learn/write some very beginner JavaScript. What to follow JS with? Btw I do it just as a hobby for now but you bet I'll start going to techie meetings. After all the reason why I never followed that path was that back then I couldn't meet any fellow geeky ppl. I didn't have Internet access yet when I first started writing web pages.
To be a web developer, you need to know both front end (user interface) and backend (server) stuff. JS, CSS, HTML are processed on the front end, in the browser. For the back end, which language you learn depends on whether you're going to work in Unix or Windows environments. For Unix/Linux servers, you should learn PHP and MySQL. For Windows servers, you should learn ASP.NET. Which should you learn? Last time I checked, 80% of the websites out there run on Unix servers which means PHP. Mostly you'll run into Windows servers in corporate environments, like the bank I used to work for.

On the front end, work on your JS skills and then learn the libraries JQuery and REACT; they're used all over the internet. There are other JS libraries out there, too. C++ is used on servers mainly in networking applications, if you're developing websites you don't need to worry about it. All this stuff can be learned on Lynda.com; a subscription is well worth the investment (and you can cancel at any time).

You'll also hear Ruby on Rails mentioned as an alternative to PHP. My recommendation would be learn PHP first and learn Ruby on Rails later if you feel the urge to do so. It's not as common or popular as PHP.

Install XAMPP on your laptop or desktop and you can build and test PHP programs and websites:

https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

Old 03-30-2019, 02:24 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,543,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

React is a Javascript library like JQuery, not a separate language.
Bottom line is there are a ton of jobs in web development. Full stack engineers are in high demand. OP...get the html and css and JavaScript down. Build out 3-4 projects. Hop on leetcode and start prepping for coding interviews. I say 4-6 months of study will get you where you need.

Supplement that with some study on react, redux, mysql, and maybe one or two AWS services like S3 or elastic beanstalk. Youll be well prepared to hit ground running.

Would not go near ASP.NET unless your ready to learn C#. PHP neither. Stick with JS.

Last edited by usamathman; 03-30-2019 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or