U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM

780 posts, read 203,746 times

Advertisements

It takes me 10 minutes to eat. I spend the rest of the time going on walks. It gets me out of the cubicle farm, in the sun, and feeling more productive upon return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,771,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Was just wondering what others opinion is on taking an hour lunch if entitled to it? I am allowed to take an hour but I usually just take 10 minutes. I bring my lunch and eat at my desk and do my work. I am very social it's just that's always work to do. I work with some people who take the full hour( even go home if the live 5 minutes away) but for some reason I can;t bring myself to do it. We work 40 hour week so that 9 hours a day with hour lunch. I still work the full 9 without taking lunch so yes it's actually OT but I'm salary. It seems to me if you take the hour lunch your not that busy...IDK...just an issue I have. Wonder what % people actually take an hour lunch who are salary!!?? Thanks
The State of California requires that we take at least a half hour lunch. We have to clock out and then clock back in. If we worked during lunch or clock in before the half hour is up then we have to submit a form and the Hospital has to pay us time and a half for the time we worked. Since the hospital does not want to pay time and a half for time we should be at lunch we have to take the lunch.

Your comment on not being that busy amuses me.

I know people that can get a lot done in 6 hours. I know others that need the full 8 hours to get the same amount of work completed that the 6 hour people complete. I know others that would need to work 10 or more hours to complete what the first group completes in 6 hours.

Where we work our time is accounted for. In my department we have to account for all 8 hours of time or OT if you work additional hours. The Hospital wants to make sure that they are getting the production that they are paying for. I can look at the department and see who is producing and who is just taking up space. I can also see when some just are having a bad day. Others that may have worked additional shifts and they are wiped out. I get that.

On the average though, the work gets done. Those that do more are rewarded for it. We see to that. Those that slack wonder why they never move up.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,078,278 times
No, I do whatever I want for that hour. Almost everybody leaves on their lunch break. Sometimes I go to the gym which helps get me energized to finish the day

Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,785,778 times
I typically work through lunch. On the other hand, I leave early when I need to, such as attending events of my kid's school or going to volunteer things I do a few times a month, not to mention the stuff like doctor or dentist appts, etc.

I'm not watching the clock in either direction and neither is my boss. If the work is getting done, it's all good. Working through lunch helps me accomplish that while maintaining flexibility for non-work obligations. Now if I didn't have enough work to keep me busy but was expected to be parked in a chair 40 hours per week, then yeah, I'd be more inclined to make sure I did get out for that hour.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 972,469 times
I'm salary. My goal is to work as little as necessary to get the job done. Don't get me wrong- I work very hard when I'm working and make a lot of money. However, I know that hours in the chair don't correlate to value created for the company.

Most weeks, I'll go downstairs for lunch with coworkers, which usually means anywhere from 30 to 75 minutes of general BSing, sometimes about work and most of the time not. But some days or weeks, I'll skip it to get something done. Similarly, I do my best to always leave the office before 6, but sometimes I'll stay past 7 and sometimes I'll leave 5:30 or earlier. None has an impact on the value I create for the company.

You should get over your notion of "not looking busy". I do my best to be less busy than others- the "busiest" people tend to be the ones doing the lowest value work, like processing spreadsheets or doing project management. I'm a thinker, and get paid accordingly. You should be too!

Old 03-28-2019, 01:56 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
I need the hour to decompress. Unless there's something critical, I never work through it.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:44 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times
If an hour is designated, then people should be free to do with it as they choose. Eat the entire time, eat half of the time and read or walk the rest, eat some of time and work the rest, whatever.

Workaholics can do their thing, food lovers can do theirs, nature people can get out and get fresh air, readers can get in some quality time with a book, etc. Happiness motivates and improves working conditions, and we all have different preferences, so it would be counterproductive to tinker with that time to fit one mindset.

This should be about freedom rather than pettiness.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-28-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,718,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm salary. My goal is to work as little as necessary to get the job done. Don't get me wrong- I work very hard when I'm working and make a lot of money. However, I know that hours in the chair don't correlate to value created for the company.

Most weeks, I'll go downstairs for lunch with coworkers, which usually means anywhere from 30 to 75 minutes of general BSing, sometimes about work and most of the time not. But some days or weeks, I'll skip it to get something done. Similarly, I do my best to always leave the office before 6, but sometimes I'll stay past 7 and sometimes I'll leave 5:30 or earlier. None has an impact on the value I create for the company.

You should get over your notion of "not looking busy". I do my best to be less busy than others- the "busiest" people tend to be the ones doing the lowest value work, like processing spreadsheets or doing project management. I'm a thinker, and get paid accordingly. You should be too!
Slight sidebar -- one of the most frustrating things to me is working in an environment where it's more important to look busy than accomplish results. I've worked for managers like that and it's so time consuming trying to "look" busy compared to actually doing what I'm paid to do, which is think.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 PM

482 posts, read 345,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Slight sidebar -- one of the most frustrating things to me is working in an environment where it's more important to look busy than accomplish results. I've worked for managers like that and it's so time consuming trying to "look" busy compared to actually doing what I'm paid to do, which is think.
Agree....that's just plain stupidity to spend "time" looking busy. Accountability??

Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 PM

8,947 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you want to work for free (and more importantly work yourself to death), keep working at your lunch break. In WA, people are also entitled to two 15-minite paid breaks every 4 hours (not sure how it is in other states), so that means you work 7.5 hours, but get paid for 8.
Close. In WA you are entitled to a 10 minute break, not 15, in every 4 hours worked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or