U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,017,913 times

Advertisements

Fish is right. I live in WA
Some employers will gracefully give you 15 mins I instead of 10. When I go on indeed to research a company one of the biggest gripes were the short 10 min breaks, I hated 10 mins too. I worked in a manufacturing plant once with 10 min breaks, by the time you washed you hands, restroom, ate something and walked back the stupid break was over. Felt so unappreciated and a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you want to work for free (and more importantly work yourself to death), keep working at your lunch break. In WA, people are also entitled to two 15-minite paid breaks every 4 hours (not sure how it is in other states), so that means you work 7.5 hours, but get paid for 8.
Professionals don't count hours or minutes. They work till the job is done. If there is no work they relax and take a three hour lunch or take the afternoon off. If there is a lot of work they stay late----- no big deal.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 PM

230 posts, read 253,499 times
I work at a college admissions office that is unionized. I take my hour, but don't take breaks, so technically, I'm putting 30 minutes of OT, but that balances out on Friday, when we only work 5 hours. Working through lunch is not allowed.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 PM

2,216 posts, read 935,111 times
I spent nearly 30 years working for a company that gave us 30 minutes for lunch. As an hourly employee I took the whole 30 minutes. When I moved to salary, especially when I got to a higher level, I sometimes took only 10-15 minutes because I was just too busy. Looking back, that was detrimental on so many levels.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:41 PM

959 posts, read 363,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Was just wondering what others opinion is on taking an hour lunch if entitled to it? I am allowed to take an hour but I usually just take 10 minutes. I bring my lunch and eat at my desk and do my work. I am very social it's just that's always work to do. I work with some people who take the full hour( even go home if the live 5 minutes away) but for some reason I can;t bring myself to do it. We work 40 hour week so that 9 hours a day with hour lunch. I still work the full 9 without taking lunch so yes it's actually OT but I'm salary. It seems to me if you take the hour lunch your not that busy...IDK...just an issue I have. Wonder what % people actually take an hour lunch who are salary!!?? Thanks
I would take my full hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or