U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 1,079 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere on how to handle changing your mind after accepting a job offer. However, as the title suggests, what happens if shortly afterwards you realize you made a mistake in changing your mind and that you really want to work there after all? It's not quite the same as initially declining the job outright and regretting it later. I would assume the former would look a lot worse than the latter.

Has anyone ever had this experience? What ended up being the outcome?

Last edited by sakata8242; 03-28-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM

531 posts, read 620,077 times
I've been there once. It's life though. Not all choices we make in life are the right ones every day.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,468,567 times
As long as you aren't stuck geographically in a small town, there is plenty of fish in the sea. Keep applying and look for the next one.

A declined offer is great for increasing your market rate also. If I know that that one guy can pay me $XXk, I will ask for the same or slightly more from the next job offers.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 1,079 times
Geographically the area is large...the main consideration is that the job market in the area has little to offer in terms of choice. In the field I'm in you primarily work for one of three large institutions that essentially monopolize the work force in my field...or you work for one of a handful of small independent contractors that are at risk of being bought up or absorbed.

The initial offer I had was with one of these smaller contractors that paid a little more (less than 10%) and offered a slightly better benefits package (nothing that would significantly change our quality of life), which I at first accepted but then declined when I got an offer from one of the large institutions. The main reasons for the decision were due to a shorter commute (about 1hr vs. 30 min), more flexibility with regards to which neighborhoods my family and I could move to in the future and keep that commute about the same, and overall job stability as there would be no risk of negative changes from a take-over or buy out. But working for the larger institution means more stress at work and less work life balance.

What I'm struggling with is should I re-approach the smaller contractor now (knowing full well how bad this makes me look since I declined their offer about 10 days ago), or give the big institution a chance for 6 months to a year, let the dust settle, and try again with the smaller group if I still feel the same.

I think I parted ways the smaller group on good terms; the guy who I was in contact with did say that if I were to ever change my mind they would see what they could do...but he was a little hard to read and the entire situation in general has left me with a bad taste and I'm sure the people at the group I declined feel the same way, and they would have some input on whether or not they would extend another offer to me.

Last edited by sakata8242; 03-28-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,662,763 times
10 days? I thought it would be 10 years that you thought about this

what do you know about the new company after only 10 days?

plus who knows if the smaller company will go under a year or two from now and get bought out by the larger company. Then you will be back working for the larger company without all the time put in now and gained experience

Old 03-28-2019, 01:51 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
With there being relatively few players, it does make it tough, especially if they won't interview previous candidates again.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:05 PM

6,880 posts, read 7,281,254 times
You've listed the pros and cons of the decision you made, but....
Why exactly do you regret turning down the smaller company?
Why exactly do you regret going with the larger company?

The reasons you chose as you did still exist, so what's changed?

Sure, you could go back to the first (smaller) company and say, "I changed my mind," but they have likely hired their second choice candidate by now. Maybe they will keep you in mind for others gigs. However, don't be surprised if that ship has sailed. But you won't know if you don't ask. Maybe -- maybe -- you impressed them enough -- and you can massage-and schmooze them enough so that even if the gig you applied for is filled, they'll still want you when the next gig opens up.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,468,567 times
Why don't you go out and interview with other small contractors similar to the rejected company?

Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM

1,550 posts, read 402,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakata8242 View Post
There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere on how to handle changing your mind after accepting a job offer. However, as the title suggests, what happens if shortly afterwards you realize you made a mistake in changing your mind and that you really want to work there after all? It's not quite the same as initially declining the job outright and regretting it later. I would assume the former would look a lot worse than the latter.

Has anyone ever had this experience? What ended up being the outcome?
I do investing and I can only go by the information I have at the time to make a choice. Most of the time, the choices made worked out fine, but not always. You can't expect to be 100% correct in all choices in life. The best you can do, is see if you can take the experience to move forward to improve to make a better choice next time. Same goes with job situations. Like the investing, you just move forward.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:49 PM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
How do you know the bigger company means more stress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or