U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 391,807 times

Advertisements

I’d do it just to see who the hell it is. Then you can decide what if anything to do about it but at least you’d know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 01:07 PM

7,379 posts, read 2,921,799 times
I had a stalker at work and thought I could put a camera on my desk. My HR told me "due to trade secrets and other confidential information" we weren't even supposed to have our phones out, they have a camera.

Lucky for me they put one up instead.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Use something like a Wyze security cam with an SD card allowing for at least eight hours recording, and mount it to look like a webcam. They can be configured to turn off all indicator lights and look "dead."

But it's still a bad idea.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:28 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
Do it the old fashion way, get a dog and put it by the desk

at least the dog is less liability to the company and you might not be fired the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Video is not illegal as long as it's in a place where privacy is expected, such as bathroom.
she works for the government, depending on how "small" it is that she claims, it could be espionage charges...

Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM

1,779 posts, read 519,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's a bad idea on so many levels.

OP, does your desk not lock? Can it be made lockable? Is some kind of GOTCHA! like the buzzing envelope an option for identifying the snoop?

How about a sign in one drawer that reads, "Smile, pal... you're on Candid Camera!" Let 'em sweat.
I like this idea, but if the snooper calls her bluff and takes that sign, her situation could be made worse.

OP I agree with the other poster and see if your boss will agree to some sort of talk with the snooper to stay off your desk, and maybe disciplinary action if they persist. (If thats even possible)

Old 03-28-2019, 03:09 PM

20,534 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Video is not illegal as long as it's in a place where privacy is expected, such as bathroom.

Audio can be depending on the state. Some require only 1 party of the recording be aware, others require all involved in the recording be aware.

That said, it does not protect you from any employer actions if you're found to be recording in the office.

It is legal though to put it in without notifying someone, on property that isn't yours? That's the sticky part to me. Neither the desk nor building is owned by OP. For that matter, neither is the stapler, tape, notepads, etc.

What are you planning to do with the info? Go to higher ups waving your film and shouting "I have proof that John moved my stapler"?

I suspect the person is messing with you precisely because you're getting annoyed. It's like my mother used to say when I would complain about my older brother picking on me, "If you didn't react, he would stop doing it". Like Jim does to Dwight on the Office, putting his stapler in jello, lol.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,283,597 times
My take on this:

The OP works for a government agency. This means that almost everything on and in the desk is the property of that agency.

The OP says nothing about anything being stolen, so it sounds like it's just a rearranging job going on.

Overreaction may be precisely what the perpetrator is looking for. Someone who simply rearranges things on a desk has sent the OP scurrying to a public forum to ask about installing a security camera to monitor what is being moved and by whom - and it isn't even the OP's stuff.

Like others have said, I have no idea what the OP would do with the information even if he/she can identify the culprit. "Johnny moved my tape dispenser" doesn't sound like a terminatable offense. It sounds more like a grade school playground argument.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:27 PM

5,676 posts, read 6,772,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I like this idea, but if the snooper calls her bluff and takes that sign, her situation could be made worse.
Simpler, a note that just says "I'm watching you."

Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,192,310 times
Exploding ink packet.

Even better - a glitter bomb. It would trash your desk but totally worth it

https://www.thepackageguard.com/porc...nk-the-pirate/

https://gizmodo.com/former-nasa-engi...aHSTJ6x04SW9Z4

Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,350,218 times
"Is it illegal to put a small hidden cam at my desk?"
that depends upon your state's laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or