U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:13 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,392,162 times

Advertisements

Maybe they were just looking for a pen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,714,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
My take on this:

The OP works for a government agency. This means that almost everything on and in the desk is the property of that agency.

The OP says nothing about anything being stolen, so it sounds like it's just a rearranging job going on.

Overreaction may be precisely what the perpetrator is looking for. Someone who simply rearranges things on a desk has sent the OP scurrying to a public forum to ask about installing a security camera to monitor what is being moved and by whom - and it isn't even the OP's stuff.

Like others have said, I have no idea what the OP would do with the information even if he/she can identify the culprit. "Johnny moved my tape dispenser" doesn't sound like a terminatable offense. It sounds more like a grade school playground argument.
There could be several ways to look at it if this is a government agency (assuming state or local). On the one hand it could well be the supervisor or security searching for contraband, evident, etc. On the other hand, though in some places, someone being a snoop can be grounds for termination. Even without considering classified material, government agencies handle all sorts of sensitive material, private information, company proprietary information, bids, etc. Some, like medical or taxpayer information is protected by law. Others by policy. The point being it's on a need to know basis. Someone who snoops around in other's desks, even as a prank, can be considered a security risk and terminated on that basis.

As a supervisor, if I caught someone snooping around, even as a prank, there would be some serious kimchee over whether that person could be trusted.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 PM

9,143 posts, read 3,000,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Rather than go out and spend big bucks on a tiny/hidden camera that may or may not tell you anything, why not ask a trusted co-worker to keep an eye out for you?
One of those "trusted" co-workers is probably the culprit.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 PM

2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
OK, let's say someone is coming to your desk and "moving things around"

You get camera footage.

You're going to do.....what?

"Hey boss, I caught so-and-so snooping around my desk, just moving around my stuff!"

You're expecting.....what?

"That person is fired!"

If they're a crony, they're not going to have anything happen to them.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 AM

3,432 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Could it be an OCD "rearranger"? Some people compulsively move and align objects to satisfy their inner neatness demon. I've seen them do it. Square up the edges, etc.

Or, they might just be trying to freak you out.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 AM

9,660 posts, read 4,553,619 times
What about a cleaning service?

Or maybe it's your boss checking up on you. Or just thinks it's amusing how you come to him and describe it.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 AM

4,248 posts, read 1,569,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Is it illegal to put a small hidden cam at my desk?"
that depends upon your state's laws.
It also depends on the job being done. If OP is dealing with client personal information, putting up a recording device could lead to termination. I'm starting a job next week that will involve dealing with health insurance, so I'm not even allowed to have my cell phone sitting on my desk. The company has very strict confidentiality policies.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 AM

4,248 posts, read 1,569,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There could be several ways to look at it if this is a government agency (assuming state or local). On the one hand it could well be the supervisor or security searching for contraband, evident, etc. On the other hand, though in some places, someone being a snoop can be grounds for termination. Even without considering classified material, government agencies handle all sorts of sensitive material, private information, company proprietary information, bids, etc. Some, like medical or taxpayer information is protected by law. Others by policy. The point being it's on a need to know basis. Someone who snoops around in other's desks, even as a prank, can be considered a security risk and terminated on that basis.

As a supervisor, if I caught someone snooping around, even as a prank, there would be some serious kimchee over whether that person could be trusted.
I would be more worried about someone bringing in a personal recording device., especially when there are confidentiality policies in place, like no cell phones allowed. You don't know where that footage could end up.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:39 AM

9,660 posts, read 4,553,619 times
What if you set up a hidden cam and next morning your stuff is moved around and the cam is gone?

Old 03-29-2019, 08:52 AM

6,560 posts, read 2,365,882 times
I figure if your boss suggested locks, then at the end of the day, you put your stuff in your drawer, and lock up the drawer.

OR just plain ask your boss if you can install a small camera. Maybe your boss won't care.

But seems easier to just lock your stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or