Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:34 AM

400 posts, read 366,047 times

Advertisements

I work for local government and this week someone and I have no clue who it could be has been going to my desk and moving things around. For example, they are going in my desk and moving things around. The last time I placed a little note on top of my desk compartment and this person placed items underneath the note and still moved my stuff. I don't keep anything valuable at my desk but I am getting rather annoyed and don't know why someone would do this. I pretty much mind my own business. Maybe this is stupid but I did go to my boss who suggested that I get locks put on. We don't have a policy about surveillance but I am just wonder how I should go about doing this and if I catch the person how to approach from there. This is very awkward and I have never had this happen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Put an envelope buzzer in a drawer instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Count-Fake-Ra.../dp/B00OSCI74W

Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM

400 posts, read 366,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Put an envelope buzzer in a drawer instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Count-Fake-Ra.../dp/B00OSCI74W
lol

Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Video is not illegal as long as it's in a place where privacy is expected, such as bathroom.

Audio can be depending on the state. Some require only 1 party of the recording be aware, others require all involved in the recording be aware.

That said, it does not protect you from any employer actions if you're found to be recording in the office.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I work for local government and this week someone and I have no clue who it could be has been going to my desk and moving things around. For example, they are going in my desk and moving things around. The last time I placed a little note on top of my desk compartment and this person placed items underneath the note and still moved my stuff. I don't keep anything valuable at my desk but I am getting rather annoyed and don't know why someone would do this. I pretty much mind my own business. Maybe this is stupid but I did go to my boss who suggested that I get locks put on. We don't have a policy about surveillance but I am just wonder how I should go about doing this and if I catch the person how to approach from there. This is very awkward and I have never had this happen before.
If you have no policy, I would say you are free to do it if you wish. might want to post a very small sign to CYA.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You've already discussed it with your boss, so the logical thing to do would be to ask your boss if it is OK to place the video camera on your desk.

If you do get a video of the snooper, what are you going to do with it? You can't do anything. Your boss can, but he is going to be more receptive to the idea if he already knows about the camera.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
May depend on what the laws of your state are. It might be wiser to use the camera but not tell anyone, then confront the person and ask them if they did the theft. Without telling them you used a camera. Who knows what kind of hot water it could get you into if you place hidden cameras at work.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Rather than go out and spend big bucks on a tiny/hidden camera that may or may not tell you anything, why not ask a trusted co-worker to keep an eye out for you?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It may not be illegal, but it's probably terminable.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:58 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It may not be illegal, but it's probably terminable.
It's a bad idea on so many levels.

OP, does your desk not lock? Can it be made lockable? Is some kind of GOTCHA! like the buzzing envelope an option for identifying the snoop?

How about a sign in one drawer that reads, "Smile, pal... you're on Candid Camera!" Let 'em sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment