U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM

2,078 posts, read 606,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Not sure about the fixation on a 50k sign-on bonus? It seems like it would be chump change to you in NYC considering the value you feel you bring to this elderly ‘startup’, and I don’t see any reason to believe they are actually interested in offering this bonus anyway. Plus you are looking for a board advisory position at a company without a board or indeed any corporate structure at all? Add to that the very slight chance that a 6 year old company personally financed by a millionaire is even INTERESTED in giving up equity for your services, and I’m not sure this is a good fit for you.
The now age old question is...

If you want your product to be a success do you go cheap and "just enough"? Or do you get the best possible professional in the field, get to know them and buy them whole and use ALL of their talents/expertise to MLSFans point above?

This is why I have skepticism for most start ups because many can't seem to fathom that PEOPLE are often the key to whether a business model lives or dies. A terrible business model can be reworked by the right individual. But you can't pay a 20 year old salary expecting 30 year old wisdom and business acumen...

We'll see if they are open to just engaging with me as a contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:18 PM

10,071 posts, read 4,685,240 times
Do we find out on April first or second? Now I'm curious on how this plays out

Old 03-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
It depends if he follows up . I won't (need to gauge their true interest as not sure how many they've contacted or how serious they are about this project)
Could be as late as mid-April but I gave him several days and times to speak again on Monday and Friday of this week coming up.

Ball is in their court.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
OK so he got back to me last week and said we can do 75k on a 1099. I wasn't surprised because I already knew they couldn't pay my FT salary or even close to it. I am at double that on my current salary + bonus. I countered with the PT offer and informed him they will not be able to get the talent they really need on a 75k budget. (Seriously they won't.)

With 75k they will get a 25-26 year old (at best) with about 3-4 years solid corporate experience (at best) and no resources or contacts they can leverage. The learning curve for them will be HUGE. They will spend at least half of their day making mistakes or spending time doing research. I already have all the data on their target market, focus group requirements and the tech/platform which will be required to get started. I can do all of this myself in about 1/2 the time it would take the 75k less experienced person. Just a matter of putting pen to paper. No one with my exp level (almost 10 years) will work for 75k FT in NYC if they had a choice in the matter. Period...

If they need someone to talk to an investor and map out of the 5 year growth plan I can do it. I do not have an MBA but have prepared decks that have gotten feedback that they thought I was an MBA from a top school. Data visualization, statements of work , in general whatever is required I can do it. For a kid making 75k they will have to hold his/her hand guaranteed and teach them all of this.

It is the ultimate question do you want to go cheap and think you are saving money or pay what you need to in order to get the job done right the first time. FWIW the director of ops who I am communicating with also seems to be the head of finance btw...So it really comes down to him. He can try to find a younger version of me that will work for less. But me when I was making 75k could not make this project work. Sometimes there is no replacement for life experience and time served.

I actually prefer the PT so let's see. They can bring on a 75k kid later on if they want once I work through all the ambiguity and get them up and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or