U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,887,085 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I left my last job 2 months ago. It was part-time and I was being paid a 1.25 at the time over minimum wage.

I was denied a promotion into full-time and that's when I left. I was at that place for a year.

I have a year of experience at a non-profit working with low-income students. I applied for a bunch of other jobs and only had one job come back. The rent in my area is pretty high. Lowest for a room is about $750 per mont and highest is $850 per room.

I'm 28 and been out of college four years now and I have a sociology degree and I don't feel it's a completely useless degree. I like working at non-profits and the type of field I am in. I know poverty, drug addiction, and mental illness aren't going away and my profession helping those people won't disappear.

The only job interested in me is where I interned at the end of college at the homeless shelter. I applied for the $15-$16/hr job because I figure I have a degree, steady work history, and even a year at a non profit.

The wanted to pay me $13/hr. A dollar more than minimum wage full-time. I just felt like that wasn't valuing me right and it seemed they didnt care who they got for that position.

It feels like right now the places I am applying for only want high school diploma level or people with 4 years+ experience or a master's degree.

After being denied full-time at my last job, I feel like I've been burned out by the belief of "work hard and you can move up the ladder"

This just doesn't seem true. So now I feel like I need to get something, so even if Im not moved up that I at least can survive where I start off at.

So can some one tell me with a degree and a year of experience, how much over the min range should I be paid? I need help!

Thank you,

the city

Old 03-29-2019, 12:10 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
You need a long term career plan. That should inform the choices you need to make. Once you have a path in mind, you'll know where you can enter and for how much minimum pay.

No one here can tell you how much you should make.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 AM

33 posts, read 9,541 times
Ref salaries, it also depends on the state / city you’re in. Google the average salary on Glassdoor for your location and job title to get comparable stats. I agree with the poster above. Figure out what your goal is and what specific skillsets or experience you’ll ultimately need to land X position. And carve out the steps to get there. I would say if the offer is still on the table, accept it, so that you’re at least making some money while you continue to apply for other roles more in line with your goals. You’ll get there!

Old 03-29-2019, 05:36 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
You walked out on job because you thought being there for a year entitled you to a promotion.... Sounds like you were valued correctly

Somehow you put together that they want 4+ years of experience but decide to quit without getting the years was a good thing

Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
You not getting the full time job does not mean the company made a mistake. Regardless of what you think of yourself, it sounds like you have a spotty work history. There are people with MSWs, or BA/BSs in social work, who have significant work history that are making $15 or $16 an hour.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:00 AM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
Non-profit is a grind and it will forever be undervalued. Unfortunately I see a lot of younger Millennials/Older Gen Zers still haven't woken up.

The world sucks, you can't be a "dreamer" (not referring to the recent movement either) or idealist. Since 10,000 B.C. natural capitalism and survival of the fittest has been the modus operandi.

There is no place for compassion/empathy AND putting food on the table. Before worrying about caring for the homeless find a profitable career and make sure YOU don't end up homeless.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 AM

242 posts, read 87,967 times
As stated upthread, if you want to stay in your current profession, look at Glass Door, Salary.com, and as many other sites as you can find for your area and profession. If someone with 4 years of experience is making $15/16 per hour, you're not at a $13 per hour place yet. Your part time hours would likely be 6-9 months of full time hours, not a year.

There are other areas where you can use your degree. Have you looked at other jobs? Sometimes just having a degree can get you in a door. I know two people who have social work degrees who work in corporate jobs. One is in HR and the other is in Corporate Education. Maybe it's time to widen your job search?

Old 03-29-2019, 03:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 928,712 times
Unfortunately for you the degree you chose is not going to provide the income you desire. Either lower your salary expectations or find a new career path.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:33 PM

40,200 posts, read 15,171,485 times
This thread quickly devolved into a mess. Several posts have been deleted and the thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or