U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:23 PM

1,687 posts, read 553,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When I was in my 20s entering corporate work, now I am in my early 40s. I was the typical self-righteous lad that wants to get things done if things look wrong. People loved my motivation and bosses praise my work. Then one day, my co-worker pulled me over. He was in his late 50s and he said to me that I will never forget even til this day.

"So you think you're being a doing the right thing they are gonna reward you?"

He explained to me that things are broken or not working because there are people with arrangement to prop their existence and they like to keep it that way. If you upset the food chain they will do marginalize you or push you out. Unless you become the boss.

Now I am independent consultant and I get paid to pinpoint problems and I get more attention than being brushed aside in the past as being an instigator.
Learning how to get things done, and how to motivate people to get things done in spite of those political and bureaucratic issues is problem solving, and those are the more difficult problems. "Doing the right thing" is subjective, depending on a person's point of view. It's not that simple (if I ask four different people what the 'right thing' is, I will get four very different answers). Learn to manage people to solve the true problems in most companies.

I understand what you're saying, but it's wrong to say "there's no such thing as problem solving" due to bureaucracy and politics. Managing problems through bureaucracy and politics (which are just labels for when people happen to have different opinions and goals) IS problem solving that's extremely needed.

It IS true that there is no such thing as pure TECHNICAL problem solving, because no one works in a vacuum, no one works independently, and everyone has to take other people's thoughts and opinions into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Thanks for your post and the dose of sanity. Everyone here is right. They're also wrong, and it's hard to communicate what I'm saying. Basically I work for a dirtbag company and that's that.
Well that's makes more sense than what you are originally stating in your opening post! Bottom line, you are not happy with your employer, not the job itself!

A typical "office job" can consist of many different jobs and hats. You should have discussed your actual role when you fist interviewed for the position. With that said, if you are an Office Clerk/Secretary, that job can change constantly to the need of the company with no real defining role. Again, to me it sounds like you just are not happy with your employer and therefore maybe you need to find a new job.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,794 posts, read 54,455,776 times
For some people, like me, problem solving is what makes the job fun, and provides satisfaction in actually accomplishing something. I took the job knowing that it would involve a lot of work “putting out fires” and they are paying me well for it. If you were hired without that being part of the duties listed and you don’t like it, then you should start looking for another job. On the other hand you could embrace it, document and use it to enhance your performance reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment