U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:42 PM

1,091 posts, read 628,317 times

Advertisements

On paper my job is to file electronic reports, prepare buildings for routine visits and send information to various professionals. However, due to the amazing incompetence of management, our software is barely possible to use. This means in order to do simple filing or basic coordination, the user must undertake complex problem-solving.

Everything is dependent on our records. However there is no consensus on what it is, what it looks like, when it was made, or even if it exists. We get dozens of reports every day and it can take hours to file just one of them. Not only that but our corporate process is to generate multiple references for the same task which represent each stage of development. Trying to understand what is happening in reality is completely encrypted. Our contractors and clients don't understand it, and we can barely use it ourselves.

Last week I was tasked with sorting out a huge mess of orders and invoices with a contractor going back 3 years. This week my focus was dealing with a massive catalog of errors our company has made with another contractor's paperwork stretching back the last 18 months. These tasks require significant exploration, experience, precision, and patience, with a little judgement and decision-making thrown in.

My question is, how much of the above sounds reasonable to you as a basic office job. Am I whining like a baby or being exploited like a fool. In a perfect world of course there wouldn't be any problems, but this isn't a perfect world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Problem solving is why most office jobs exist.

Document what you're doing, measure how much time the company is saving due to the improved processes you are creating, estimate how much money the company is saving based on those time savings. Present that to your boss at your next annual review. That's how you get raises and promotions.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:57 PM

1,798 posts, read 521,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post

Document what you're doing, measure how much time the company is saving due to the improved processes you are creating, estimate how much money the company is saving based on those time savings. Present that to your boss at your next annual review. That's how you get raises and promotions.
Yep, this is your opportunity to show them that you can outdo their incompetence. If it doesnt work for your review, it will work on your resume for the next job interview.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:00 PM

8,596 posts, read 3,026,483 times
Quote:
And the only reason most haven't been replaced with AI, yet. The routine stuff can be done by the electronic equivalent of monkeys... so going beyond is the way to succeed.

Quote:
On the other hand, I had a contract-to-hire position where they kept giving me about a half-hour's work and expecting me to take two days with it, so I filled the time fixing a lot of functional problems and hurdles they had. One was to develop a very complex macro-driven Excel sheet that converted one antique system's data output to a modern, parsed one easy to import into reports, quotes etc.

It was one thing listed as an example of how I'd been wasting time instead of doing what I was told.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
All this inefficiency means there is opportunity for you to shine. Identify one report or process you can improve or eliminate. Have time and cost saving metrics to back you up. Pitch to management and see what they say. You could come out looking like a rock star and have a great project to list on your resume.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:

How do I get to this place where working hard and being smart pays off? As should be evident in my post, my company couldn't give a damn what's efficient or not, and presenting any method superior to them would be threatening. I'm sorry, but do people live in the real world?

Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times
You said in your OP that part of your job is to send information to various professionals. Typically sending information implies generating or collecting it as well.

That is all that is is being asked of you here. Maybe your company is horribly inefficient, and the process of gathering information is difficult. Even if that is true, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.

The penalty is paid for by your company, which has decided that hiring additional people to do the work, or suffering a lag in information, or lost revenue or opportunity because of archaic processes, is better than investing in data automation. They may be correct, although I doubt it, it might be cheaper to pay you rather than invest in tech.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You said in your OP that part of your job is to send information to various professionals. Typically sending information implies generating or collecting it as well.

That is all that is is being asked of you here. Maybe your company is horribly inefficient, and the process of gathering information is difficult. Even if that is true, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.

The penalty is paid for by your company, which has decided that hiring additional people to do the work, or suffering a lag in information, or lost revenue or opportunity because of archaic processes, is better than investing in data automation. They may be correct, although I doubt it, it might be cheaper to pay you rather than invest in tech.
Thanks for your post and the dose of sanity. Everyone here is right. They're also wrong, and it's hard to communicate what I'm saying. Basically I work for a dirtbag company and that's that.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:00 PM

1,680 posts, read 551,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
How do I get to this place where working hard and being smart pays off? As should be evident in my post, my company couldn't give a damn what's efficient or not, and presenting any method superior to them would be threatening. I'm sorry, but do people live in the real world?
Quantify how much money you are saving them, and present it in an easy, non technical way for them to understand that doesn't make their management staff seem incompetent.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:06 PM

18,873 posts, read 7,336,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
. Basically I work for a dirtbag company and that's that.
So quit, if you prefer that option.

USA Employment At Will allows employees to quit anytime they wish, assuming they did not sign a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment