Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,426,125 times

Advertisements

I'm telling you bud (IT) - you shouldn't a done it. Whether you look 20 or not - you should have kept it to yourself and stayed content knowing the secret only you can know and gave the OP some warm and fuzzies or advice instead (can't remember what his issue was w/looking young). Anytime we are unbelievably cool, funny, rich, hot whatever - we need to keep that our own little secret unless we are willing to show the proof to whomever we are addressing.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,868,327 times
pretty sure everybody looks 10 or 20 years younger than they really are

Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,426,125 times
It's global warming. Everyone is looking young nowadays.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,003,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I'm telling you bud (IT) - you shouldn't a done it. Whether you look 20 or not - you should have kept it to yourself and stayed content knowing the secret only you can know and gave the OP some warm and fuzzies or advice instead (can't remember what his issue was w/looking young). Anytime we are unbelievably cool, funny, rich, hot whatever - we need to keep that our own little secret unless we are willing to show the proof to whomever we are addressing.
Very well said, and great advice! Regardless of what we think - real or illusionary - we should keep it to ourselves.

What we think is one 'reality', but how the many around see us follows a pattern of its own, oftentimes more real than we're comfortable with. It's humbling and healthy to drop our own perceptions, and value the consensus of those around us.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM

10,337 posts, read 5,822,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
pretty sure everybody looks 10 or 20 years younger than they really are
I sometimes look like a giant toddler. Same outfit, anyway.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:37 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,927,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But by making conjectures you are showing that you are obsessed by this.
A few throw away comments made on a message board is obsession?

Old 04-02-2019, 12:42 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
62 year olds don't look like they are in their 20s, the whole idea is absurd.

Even with sick amounts of plastic surgery and/or life long perfect health and skin care with top 1% genetics they do not look like they're in their 20s. Delusion at its finest.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,038,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
All of you posters that are making derogatory remarks about me are wasting their time. Either believe or don't believe. I don't care if you believe me or not. But by making conjectures you are showing that you are obsessed by this. Feel free to comment more, but it won't change anything. The fact that one old person looks old or doesn't look old is a minor event in the scheme of things. LOL!
How is asking a couple of questions making derogatory remarks?

And I'm not obsessed with this issue, just very amused by it. I appreciate the diversion in an otherwise humdrum day.

And I can't help noticing you didn't answer any of my questions. I am genuinely curious about how so many people are apparently routinely a) aware of your age despite you not looking it and b) motivated to comment on that.

Fact is, it doesn't ring true. If you really look like you are in your 20s, then people assume you are and don't say wow, you look so young for your age. And if you are the one bringing up the subject and they are simply agreeing with you, well, that's far more likely to be someone humoring you than sincerely believing you are the one person who looks 4 decades younger than they really are.

Here's a hint - next time, try claiming that people say you look 10 years younger, maybe even 15. Some people will remain skeptical but a least a few people will be willing to buy it.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM

4,846 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How is asking a couple of questions making derogatory remarks?

And I'm not obsessed with this issue, just very amused by it. I appreciate the diversion in an otherwise humdrum day.

And I can't help noticing you didn't answer any of my questions. I am genuinely curious about how so many people are apparently routinely a) aware of your age despite you not looking it and b) motivated to comment on that.

Fact is, it doesn't ring true. If you really look like you are in your 20s, then people assume you are and don't say wow, you look so young for your age. And if you are the one bringing up the subject and they are simply agreeing with you, well, that's far more likely to be someone humoring you than sincerely believing you are the one person who looks 4 decades younger than they really are.

Here's a hint - next time, try claiming that people say you look 10 years younger, maybe even 15. Some people will remain skeptical but a least a few people will be willing to buy it.
I can't believe you are wasting your time with this and giving me strange advice when you haven't even seen me. I've said what I've said, and I stand by it. You can believe me or not believe me. I don't care. I don't get paid to post my views on this site and try to foist those views on others.

People are aware of my age because I live in a retirement community where you have to be 55 or over. I routinely get mistaken for a visitor such as the son of a retiree, except by the people that know me. In school, the students are frequently interested in getting to know me. They frequently think and tell me that I am a young teacher just starting out. I have to correct them by telling them I am a retiree with a 35 year IT career behind me. I don't advertise my age or flaunt my youth or ask people how young I look. I live and let live. This issue just keeps coming up. It doesn't happen every day.

But as you've said, my information doesn't ring true, so why am I wasting my time explaining this to someone who doesn't have an open mind and won't believe me anyway?

I am a retiree with an active lifestyle and I don't want to take the time to keep posting on this thread. As I've said, believe or don't believe. The world isn't going to spin any faster or slower whether this is true or not. I simply feel blessed to look and feel young and am enjoying my life to its fullest, something I couldn't do when I was still working in the IT field.

Thank you for your advice, but I don't need it. Goodbye and best wishes.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:33 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,003,155 times
Just let it go BMIT. Words will fail in both directions, and no one is going to change his/her views. It's just a shame that the original thread got swallowed up in this distraction.

Embrace your "youth", and as Spock said, long-live and prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment