U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I am serious. For real. Many of my students think that I am a young teacher just starting out, rather than a tired old retiree enjoying a last gasp vanity career.
I work with a lot of people in their late teens and early twenties. A good many of them are VERY bad at telling the age of anyone who is approximately more than ten years older than they are. The fact that your students think you're younger isn't an indication of anything except that they aren't good at recognizing the stages of aging.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 AM

12,249 posts, read 17,999,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Okay, here's a picture. Not the best, but all I have. Two women. One is early 30's and one is mid-60's.

Which one is which?
The blond wig, is mid 30s....
But she also appears black or Hispanic and in my experience they have a tendency to look younger.
The other girl is just hard to tell as you can't really get a good look. But if she is in her 30s..she looks older.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 AM

12,249 posts, read 17,999,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
My wife believes she looks like she's 25. I've learned just to go along with it.
Lol. I just talked to my husband about this. I asked him how my skin looked, he answered what I wanted to hear..haha

Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 AM

1,862 posts, read 717,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I work with a lot of people in their late teens and early twenties. A good many of them are VERY bad at telling the age of anyone who is approximately more than ten years older than they are. The fact that your students think you're younger isn't an indication of anything except that they aren't good at recognizing the stages of aging.
You forgot to address why my neighbors who are over 55 also think that I look young. There are dozens of them here in my retirement community. Also, I see teachers who are from their mid-20s through their mid-60s. They say the same.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:17 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
You forgot to address why my neighbors who are over 55 also think that I look young. There are dozens of them here in my retirement community. Also, I see teachers who are from their mid-20s through their mid-60s. They say the same.
I'm sorry but you are either lying or delusional. No one outside of Benjamin Button is in their 60s and looks like they are in their 20s. NO ONE.

If you are hearing this from people then they are very likely making fun of you for a comment you made about your youthful appearance. "Here comes Mr. 25 year old! (chuckle)" is probably the gist of their comments.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 AM

780 posts, read 203,923 times
Enjoy it, OP!

Early on in your career, it's frustrating, because nobody wants to take the 'kid' seriously.

By the time you hit your 30s, you'll start appreciating it because you'll be given a lot more leeway, as people will still assume you're fresh out of college and learning the ropes.

By the time you hit your 40s, you'll appreciate it more because you'll look great for your age, and you'll look very successful for your perceived age.

By the time you hit your 50s, you'll appreciate it due to age discrimination.

By the time you hit your 60s, you'll be enjoying all the perks of still looking like you're in your 40s and 50s in retirement.

It's amazing what good genetics and taking care of yourself can do for the human body. Lots of our elders took pretty poor care of themselves (smoking, excessive drinking, hard drugs), hence the big discrepancy in how people who take care of themselves look in comparison. I can always tell the smokers from everyone else because of close to death they look (droopy, sad faces) compared to everyone else their age.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM

690 posts, read 251,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
My wife believes she looks like she's 25. I've learned just to go along with it.
LOL. That's smart.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:10 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,785,778 times
Quote:
Do people randomly come up to you and say "oh, I guess you are in your 20s, right?"

Or do you set up situations where you ask people how old they think you are? Or tell people that you are in your 60s but people assume you are in your 20s all the time and ask if they agree with that?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM

2,524 posts, read 995,939 times
Quote:
I am 62 but can still pass for someone in their 20s. However, if I tried to go back into software development I doubt that I would succeed. Documentation and information readily obtainable on me would give me away. So no matter how young you may look, the employer will know who you are or could easily find out without much effort. If anyone does an Internet search on me, one of the first pieces of information on me would be:

(my name), Age 62

And the same for anyone else.

Tough luck, old chum.
LMAOOOOO You are 62 and think you appear to be 20s? And "dozens" of people tell you so?

You surely realize how nutty that makes you sound, right?

I'm dead. RIP.

#delusional

Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 AM

1,862 posts, read 717,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do people randomly come up to you and say "oh, I guess you are in your 20s, right?"

Or do you set up situations where you ask people how old they think you are? Or tell people that you are in your 60s but people assume you are in your 20s all the time and ask if they agree with that?
All of you posters that are making derogatory remarks about me are wasting their time. Either believe or don't believe. I don't care if you believe me or not. But by making conjectures you are showing that you are obsessed by this. Feel free to comment more, but it won't change anything. The fact that one old person looks old or doesn't look old is a minor event in the scheme of things. LOL!

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 04-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: More info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or