Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times

Advertisements

I was in an middle school once to give a lecture and got stopped in the hallway by a teacher thinking that I was a student roaming the hall. Of course, when I turned around, I got an apology!

Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I can't believe you are wasting your time with this and giving me strange advice when you haven't even seen me. I've said what I've said, and I stand by it. You can believe me or not believe me. I don't care. I don't get paid to post my views on this site and try to foist those views on others.

People are aware of my age because I live in a retirement community where you have to be 55 or over. I routinely get mistaken for a visitor such as the son of a retiree, except by the people that know me. In school, the students are frequently interested in getting to know me. They frequently think and tell me that I am a young teacher just starting out. I have to correct them by telling them I am a retiree with a 35 year IT career behind me. I don't advertise my age or flaunt my youth or ask people how young I look. I live and let live. This issue just keeps coming up. It doesn't happen every day.

But as you've said, my information doesn't ring true, so why am I wasting my time explaining this to someone who doesn't have an open mind and won't believe me anyway?

I am a retiree with an active lifestyle and I don't want to take the time to keep posting on this thread. As I've said, believe or don't believe. The world isn't going to spin any faster or slower whether this is true or not. I simply feel blessed to look and feel young and am enjoying my life to its fullest, something I couldn't do when I was still working in the IT field.

Thank you for your advice, but I don't need it. Goodbye and best wishes.
Lol. I'm more curious why you keep telling us this instead of "my retirement community often thinks I'm visiting my dad".

Old 04-02-2019, 03:57 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just let it go BMIT. Words will fail in both directions, and no one is going to change his/her views. It's just a shame that the original thread got swallowed up in this distraction.

Embrace your "youth", and as Spock said, long-live and prosper.
Thank you!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I get carded every time I buy booze or spray paint, but it's not because I look so young...even on a great day, I can't pass for 40 anymore.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-02-2019 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I know we've blasted this poor, delusional fellow enough but one more observation........you're claiming people are mistaking you for someone 40+ years younger than you. That would be like someone mistaking me (in my mid 40s) for a 5 year old.

Enough said.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I know we've blasted this poor, delusional fellow enough but one more observation........you're claiming people are mistaking you for someone 40+ years younger than you. That would be like someone mistaking me (in my mid 40s) for a 5 year old.

Enough said.
LMAOOOO

I have never not once in my entire LIFE (spent in big metropolitan cities including 23 years in Palm Beach where everyone is gorgeous) seen anyone 60s who looks 20s.
I HAVE seen 50s who look 30s and 70s who look 50s.

How is it possible that guy is THE ONLY PERSON EVER SEEN to look 40 years younger? Unless many chime in to state they have seen folks like that aplenty we must surmise no one has as it is so patently ridiculous.

He must be the object of much ridicule; he probably wears millenial style clothes and jewelry and uses "hip" slang.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:18 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
This is pretty common. Over the years, there have been several people I have worked with who were in their 40s and could pass for being straight out of college. Depending on your job, it can be a little challenging initially from a respect standpoint (being taken seriously), but it is all about how you carry yourself. If you dress well, are confident, and know your stuff, after the initial meeting they won’t even notice.

If you are in a consulting/legal/ public accounting environment where you go out to eat/ happy hours a lot, it can be a little embarrassing if your junior staff aren’t getting carded and you are (or if your clients initially mistake you for a junior staff person which undermines the respect your junior staff had for you), but again, it will only be short term embarrassment. If you carry yourself with confidence, that is how they will treat you.

A CPA friend I had faced the same challenge, and it got so bad for her psychologically that she got out of the public accounting/consulting industry. Don’t let it affect you that badly!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:47 AM

801 posts, read 615,344 times
My father and step-father are both in their mid-60s. (My mom sure could pick 'em, I guess!) They run marathons and do triathlons and are obsessed with their appearances. Both have full heads of gorgeous, dark hair. No coloring. No wrinkles. Washboard abs, both of them. (Neither one can hold their drink, btw... when they're partnered, they're banned from drinking because they turn into who they REALLY ARE then.) My friends, growing up and STILL, say how hot they are. (No- it's not a competition - they've never met each other. My bio dad is a psychopath while my step-dad is just a narcissist - entirely manageable.)

They look, at BEST, in their mid-40s. Those who are in their spells - the people who circulate in their orb of self-interest - are vastly wrong when THEY tell me that he (whichever he) doesn't look a day over 30. The only people who are optional to them - the ones they keep around - are those people with poor age-deducing skills... because those people tell them what they want to hear. An old man at the gas station, the other day, kept telling the clerk how old he was... by the end of it, the clerk was in awe. "Can you believe that guy is 74?! He doesn't look a day over 40!" Yeah, bruh. I can. He looks like a guy who loves himself a LOT. My dad is the same - self-interest keeps you on your toes. He looked younger than his age... I'd put gas-station Boaster in his mid to late 60s.

I'm almost 36 and on days I try to look nice (well-dressed with mascara and lipstick, no foundation or concealer ever because I like not having pimples), people SAY(people who WOULD say things complimentary in the first place, without prompting) I look like I just graduated college. That's ridiculous. On days I don't try, I look every bit my age and sometimes more. Mascara and lipstick aren't reducing my age by 20 years. I simply have good teeth and look clean and fresh. I look my age either way, I assure you. I've been through some sh**. At 28, after yet another traumatic experience, people FINALLY stopped treating me like a babysitter or teen mom around our children. That's when I stopped smiling as a default face. That's the only reason.

They hear they look SO YOUNG from people with poor skills at determining age... and there's simply a void of EVERYONE ELSE, who are NOT - of course - telling them that they look their age. That would be considered rude... and they're not going to interrupt and say, "Dude. You totally look about that age." They're pleased with themselves, smiling always, and only hear and accept the input of the naive/ignorant.

eta: On the flip side, my husband has looked like he could be 40 since he was 20. On our first date, the waiter asked him if his daughter wanted a wine glass for the carafe as well (is she old enough to drink? Hint: I was not.) 16 years later, he still looks 40. The men in his family look older sooner... but look 40 or 50 until they die in their 60s or 70s.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking. We have a 62 year old man that is walking around in skinny jeans, a man bun or undercut hairstyle, and a neckbeard that clapsback at all the retirees in his age restricted community that don't think his youthful appearance is fire.
I'd bet money has owns either a red Corvette convertible or a Harley or both.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
I got home after work and decided to do some chest work (always train early am but did not get my chest work out in) and my mind drifted to this thread for whatever reason. I cracked up and it messed up my presses.

IT made an offhanded comment for whatever reason about his age and this thread has been hijacked like an atomic bomb. OP got lost in the sauce. And another thread was created in the fashion section as a result of it. IT wants to remain anonymous but now everyone has an image of him wearing a man bun, hipster clothes, etc. Funny. I think I recall him having relatively sound/reasonable advice in most of his posts. Now he is far from anonymous in cd posters minds.

No worries IT. It is just City Data. Folks really don't care - it is amusing and people have their own real issues to deal with. A funny distraction for all really....this is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment