Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM

270 posts, read 626,128 times

Advertisements

Think that's bad, reveiw the visa and unaqualified americans thread ion this Section. How about the importation of foreign workers we dont have qualified Americans to fill the positions anf that includes teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 PM

37,580 posts, read 45,935,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
I can not believe it but our company is hiring people in its Accounting and IT Department who live out of State and are selected and screened only through phone interviews. They will move out here and start work without even meeting their boss and coworkers face to face, see what their work place and office will look like, get a feel for the commute, community or company culture. Would you accept a job without meeting the boss face to face first?
I've worked in IT for years. Never have any of my employers hired someone without an interview. Never. But, I am sure it happens. IT is extremely short in competent resources these days.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,803,123 times
It like so many things these days;networking to get a trusted view of the person's capabilties.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 AM

295 posts, read 1,178,710 times
When I was moving from Texas to Oregon about 3 years ago, I accepted a contract position based solely on the phone interview. It was nice to have a job to go to.

Would I do it again? Depending on the job, etc....yes I would.

I have to say too that this is becoming more and more prevalent in the work place. Working in the staffing arena, I am seeing this happening almost daily.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,144 times
With websites like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc. it's becoming easier and easier for employers to "get to know" candidates better than they would in an in-person interview. Not saying it's the best approach, but some people do it.

Personally, I'd never take a job without having met my future co-workers and boss.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,553,544 times
Quote:
I can not believe it but our company is hiring people in its Accounting and IT Department who live out of State and are selected and screened only through phone interviews. They will move out here and start work without even meeting their boss and coworkers face to face, see what their work place and office will look like, get a feel for the commute, community or company culture. Would you accept a job without meeting the boss face to face first?
What state are you in?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,115,112 times
Quote:
If the money was good and the work was something I wanted to do. Yeah. My boss is located about 1200 miles from me and I have never met him once. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-10-2015, 06:40 AM

457 posts, read 645,284 times
Quote:
I'd love to but every time that happens, when they DO see me face-to-face they get bat-crap racist and either change their minds about my qualifications, or let me work anyway and just sabotage me on the job.

I'd gladly take something like what Sandra Bullock's character does on "The Net" meaning the reason she becomes a victim of identity theft is because no one's ever SEEN her. And yet she works remotely from home and makes a good enough living to keep a house and all her computer equipment, now doesn't she?!

No, really, I'd LOVE something like that but only if I had a guarantee they'd KEEP me on the job even if they did happen to SEE me. All my problems start when people see me after they've read my bio or C.V. and talked with me over the telephone.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 AM

8,043 posts, read 12,755,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Agreed!

As for the employer. I don't understand the logic of management. What if this person has a tatoo on there face (extreme, but possible)? What are they gonna do?
They could do a skype interview.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,417,063 times
The Fed does this a lot and it works for them. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what they can get out of an interview. They think they are Arron Hotchner from Criminal Minds and can psychologically profile people and predict their performance or it turn into a big BSing talent show and then they are disappointing in who they hire based on a selection system that does not include competence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment