Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:58 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times

Advertisements

According to this article, "Interviewers are increasingly making absurd demands on applicants’ time..."

As time goes on, hiring practices are only going to get worse. It's hard to imagine what the future in 'human procurement' (talent "acquisition, they call their trade) will look like.

Even now, the combination of these things has made things much more difficult than it was 20 years ago:

* Technology - ATSs and online application processes that enforce responses
* Job boards that give employers increasingly powerful tools to weed the crop of candidates
* Irrational, unjust, entrenched primitive biases that have become best practices
* Virtual networking and sharing intelligence on applicants between recruiters
* Increasing use of personality tests that alienate intelligent, insightful candidates.
(There is an example of one large employer in my city forcing applicants to take their test within the online application under the guise of assessing candidate's values to theirs, but the test is really a risk assessment tool to identify applicants who are more likely to file discrimination complaints)
* Miscellaneous other onerous processes

...But I haven't heard about an emerging practice of giving candidates actual work to do as part of the selection process. So some of them must be getting burned by their presumptions of competence for certain applicants, presumptions of incompetence for "diverse" candidates, over-confidence in interviewing, hiring by referrals, gut checks for "cultural fit", etc. So now this lunacy:

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...ree-labor.html

This makes me think wonder what recruiters will being doing 5 - 10 years from now that would shock us today. I wonder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 06:19 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times
There were Dilbert cartoons about getting work product from applicants some 20 years ago.

When my father applied for a welding job at Coors long ago, they had him take an all-day welding test. But, he said, they paid you for the day if you passed the test, regardless of whether you were hired.

I can see why employers have applicants take tests. I've had applicants tell me they were perfect for a job requiring college-level English skills when they couldn't spell three-letter words. But having someone spend hours on a test (without paying them for their work) is a bit much.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
The one time I was asked to write sample copy as part of an interview, I was given a real client page and paid a decent hourly rate for the three items I wrote.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:28 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Liz Ryan nailed it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan.../#46413a9749b9

Old 03-31-2019, 12:14 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Someone can demand anything they want in an interview. If you don't like it, don't work for those companies.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Someone can demand anything they want in an interview. If you don't like it, don't work for those companies.
Can I get a paycheck first, to test if the company checks bounce or not during the interview?

Old 03-31-2019, 04:54 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Can I get a paycheck first, to test if the company checks bounce or not during the interview?
Sure, many people do get signing bonuses.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:07 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'd immediately walk out.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:01 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
This has been going on in the consulting business for years. 25 years ago when my business was new, I had a guy at Banco Popular string me along. He made a big deal of putting my business card with the IBM reps card, like that was supposed to show how highly he thought of me.

After a couple of sales calls, I felt it was time to get a committment, I'd shared enough. I sent him a proposal. Once $$ were put down on paper, I never heard from him again. There are sleaze balls all over.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,786 times
I was recently asked to write 5 different types of social media posts for an interview. Took me about 2 hours to make it perfect, and I didn't get paid for that. It did land me an interview but I didn't get the job either. Honestly was a blessing in disguise from what I've heard and the commute would have been awful anyway, but it annoyed me at the time. I don't think I'd do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment