Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 07:09 PM

13 posts, read 12,220 times

Advertisements

I been working retail for over 3 years. A new location is going to open up in Fall 2019. It is not far from me about the same distance as the current location I work in only in the opposite direction.

I have the most experience in the Womens department. I also worked in the Home, Mens and Childrens, Fitting Room and did Cashier. Always on time never late and I barely call out. I used to get 5 days of work part time but because I took on a full time job elsewhere (i needed insurance as I just recently got taken off my parents) i reduced my days and work 2 (i work 4 days a week for 40 hours at my full time job. That is how I am able to do my part time jobj

I really despise my full time for a number of reasons. I would love to leave but I cannot for now. Even if I do leave my fiancé has the same job (different department) so I can go on the insurance once we get married in October. He even agreed with me and said he rather me find a job where I dontt have to wake up at 5:45am (sometimes 4am if I need to get the bus) ans come home in such pain (we work in a factory and I never been in such pain in my life. I really want to quit so bad but with me getting married and moving soon i keep telling myself I need to stay. I need the insurance until october. it even is great pay. I am trying to keep positive but it has been hard for me latelY. My fiancé has been seeing me stressed out and not being myself because of how I am feeling about this full time job)

I would not need to take the insurance if I get full time at my retail job. I would be covered on my fiancés like i mentioned above (well would be husband by then

What are the chances I can obtain full time at my part time retail job if I transfer to the new location opening up in the fall in your opinion? Would it be worth it? I would also get a small part time on the side to make up for the loss of money like a once/twice a week job. Any advice would be appericated.

This is in NYC if that changes anything in your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Are you popular with management?
What is the retail chain?
Do you speak a second language (or is your native language something other than English? )
Age/Race?
Do you tend to get along with 90% of other Women?

Based on my past retail experience all of this will determine whether you can get additional hours at the new location. Retail is a Sorority environment where you need to pledge your mind, body and soul to the local management clique and please Corporate at the same time. But identity politics is over 50% of the game (and not Sales results)

Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
ur story is um heartbreaking oO

wait a sec you are in NYC?????

If your husband will support you/ absolutely sure he'll marry you/ quit find new job. Skimmed story thought in rural town like West Virginia. Keep mentioning it so I think insurance is your biggest concern medical issues? Just freaking out? Cuz if just turned 26 check to see if health plan covers you till the end of the year. If it doesn't, you should be eligible for ACA so yeah and you live in NYC?

You both can find a job here where you don't have to travel what 2 3 4 hours by bus and wake up at 4 AM

Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
No one can answer your question about your chances of getting the full time job; there are simply too many unknown variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment