U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 PM

528 posts, read 617,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Sometimes I think some company may have connection with or relative who works at Glassdoor and/or Indeed, then that person could help to remove the negative reviews.
Companies can be a paid member of Glassdoor and get reviews removed. It's a good model...have random people generate the content and then get companies to pay as members for revenue and have comments deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 PM

595 posts, read 691,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I have seen plenty of places where the highly skilled technical, engineering, science and medical staff are treated like garbage, yet the vast majority of reviews on glassdoor are by administrative, housekeeping, data entry, paperwork, and other basic staff who outnumber the technical skilled staff but had fairly decent defined treatment and benefits. In this case the glassdoor review was a high positive yet if you were one of the few technical and other highly skilled employees the glassdoor review was just not exactly what you would think. I think that happens lots where the highly skilled are few, and the paperpushers are many. Which happens to be the trend in the USA unfortunately. I'm retired now so don't look much at glassdoor anymore, but I would say it wasn't working for the more skilled.
I absolutely agree with this, especially the bolded parts. I'm a research chemist and many of the companies I'm interested in are too small or "boutique" to have any information on Glassdoor. If there is information on a company, the reviews are dominated by people whose job functions and duties have nothing in common with mine. I don't care that an HR person gave the place a bad review because one of their coworkers keep track of how long people spend in the bathroom, I want to know about insurance or what their reward structure for patents is.

The website is a pretty good clearinghouse for open positions but if I want hard data on pay rates or what it's like to work at a place I have to do some creative searching or lean on my network.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:59 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,543,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

So I'd not put too much confidence in the rating. Remember, what is your hell, might be someones paradise.
This.....

Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM

6,252 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Companies can be a paid member of Glassdoor and get reviews removed. It's a good model...have random people generate the content and then get companies to pay as members for revenue and have comments deleted.
Yet they state this...

“Can employers pay Glassdoor to remove reviews? Updated 30 August, 2018

No! We take this policy very seriously. So much so that we make our clients who purchase our recruiting solutions explicitly agree to this in their contracts with us.

We do not allow anyone to pay us to remove reviews simply because it's the right thing to do. It's important for our business that we don't. If we gave clients control over what reviews to display, we'd lose credibility and job seekers would stop using Glassdoor to research employers and apply for jobs. If that happened, the employers who pay our bills would stop buying our services. It simply doesn't make sense for us to do that. So we don't.”

So either they lie or tell the truth in a roundabout way - meaning that companies don’t pay to remove reviews...they pay for something else and in doing so get a way to remove reviews.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:15 AM

125 posts, read 72,727 times
I think you can always find a common theme for many e.g. poor life/work balance, micromanagement, high turnover, etc. for my company, there are SO MANY negative reviews and they are all true; however, they somehow magically disappear and new “great place to work” appears. I always filter by negative to see if there is a common theme and then go from there

Old 04-01-2019, 06:28 AM

4,646 posts, read 2,287,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If its a high quantity of reviews, I would avoid working for any corp with bad ratings.
Same here.

What I really hate is when you view a prospective employer's Google or Yelp page and see reviews (or 5-star ratings) submitted by people who work there. I don't have an issue with people liking who they work for, but it's very dishonest to make it seem like you're a 'customer' of the company. At least disclose to the public that you're employed by them!

A good company shouldn't ask their own employees to write glowing reviews.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 AM

343 posts, read 357,558 times
Just use critical thinking. Are the 5 star reviews mostly one or 2 liners from current employees? Also, I tend to be wary of the 'engaged employers' who answer most reviews. If thy are managing that end of the reviews, you can be assured that they are managing the other end as well. And of course put more weight in those reviews which are more recent and in a similar role / division where you would be working. A call center agent's experience is going to be very different from a finance director's. Determining the reliability of the Glassdoor presence is definitely more of an art than a science.

Also bear in mind that the same companies which game the 'best places to work in XYZ' also game the Glassdoor ratings.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,272,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
So I have an offer from a company and their rating is 2.0. This seems horrendous, even for a call center.
70% of the reviews are negative and 30% seem good
With call centers, this is expected. But the companies rating is worse than most other call centers
I'm talking with them about a business analyst role

So how much stock do you put in Glassdoor when considering a job offer?
Sounds like your job is to improve the operations department.

Unfortunately, Glassdoor fails to segment the overall review of any company. You are not gunna be making phone calls 24/7 to random people. You are a pencil pusher. Therefore, just focus on the reviews that come from the analyst.

Problem, companies that have call centers tend to create fake reviews so pretty unreliable.

IMO if you need a job and it pays more I'd take it. If you don't want to be dealing with iunno "how can I make call center more efficient" pass.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM

5,247 posts, read 5,166,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For a large company, a lot. Smaller companies can have things skewed greatly by an unhappy employee or too. Most places I've worked at - Glassdoor has been accurate for.
It's hard to tell, so I will read through a lot of them. Sometimes I can barely find any for my field in the companies and there's a lot of disorganization in terms of how data is displayed. And sometimes the reviews are skewed in such a departmental way.

So I just went to read the reviews for the company my husband's company. His office is a 3.6 and the other offices are between 3.0-3.6. The reviews are seemingly balanced and make sense---and they seem pretty true based on what he's told me.

Now if I try to read the reviews for my organization that is enormous? Forget it. We have so many sites, so many employees, every type of employee you can think of in every capacity---one place could be a crap show, the next one might be fantastic.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:01 PM

356 posts, read 108,881 times
Definitely it's a case of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". People post on there because they want to warn people about the problems they experienced. The people who love it there (IF there are any) are not likely to post unless they really love it! Which is unlikely.

So it's like on Amazon, you know some people are going to complain. And often times the product they review and hate, it's their own fault. They didn't read the instructions, ordered the wrong product, etc. But if a product has a LOT of bad reviews (I'd say 25% or more) it's probably because it's a lousy product.

With Glassdoor if numerous people are posting how bad the place is to work, it probably is, that's my take on it.

I posted on there after I quit a job where there was lots of favoritism, an "old boys" network type environment, and they treated employees like expendable trash. I did it not to "get back at them" but to warn others away from it.

So I think you have to read what people say and decide if you are dealing with a bad company or only a bad employee who hated it there due to his own fault(s). Use this as just more info you have in deciding if it's a good fit for you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or