Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:23 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times

Advertisements

So I have an offer from a company and their rating is 2.0. This seems horrendous, even for a call center.
70% of the reviews are negative and 30% seem good
With call centers, this is expected. But the companies rating is worse than most other call centers
I'm talking with them about a business analyst role

So how much stock do you put in Glassdoor when considering a job offer?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-24-2019 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Second thread on same topic merged with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
I worked at a place that had a 3.7 rating....God what a lousy place to work. Bored out of my mind...Terrible management and lousy benefits (After min wage was raised) so not everything is always rosy...

So I'd not put too much confidence in the rating. Remember, what is your hell, might be someones paradise.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
It should be treated as nothing more than a data point amongst many other data points and factors. It should be a small factor in your decision making process.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
I am in a business/marketing/project management capacity and won't look at a tech company that has consistent negative reviews from their software developers over the past 2 years.

Bottom line if the devs aren't happy I'm not getting anything done and guess who they will point the finger at first when nothing moves?

The more specific the reviews the more heavily you should weight it. For example I look for key phrases like "technical debt" and "dinosaur stack", "legacy", "old school" etc. Once I see that too many times I don't even bother applying for the job.

As a Business Analyst you need to be looking at SaaS companies. Forget about the call centers eventually they keep downsizing those in favor of chat/e-mail and a lot of companies are slimming down that function. The ones that are left are pressure cookers that break. I'm confident at this point they just bake in the loss of customers from the domino effect in the books for the year. This means they just assume call center will operate at a loss indefinitely which means your job function isn't valued if it has anything to do with improving retention or upsell of any kind.

Move to B2B SaaS as quickly as you can, if it requires learning a new software language do it as soon as possible. When it comes to B2C, your career will be in the toilet.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 AM

41 posts, read 24,115 times
I worked at a job that was full of bullying supervisors and a lot of that stuff filtered down to the employees. It was one of those jobs where no one ever smiled or seemed happy.

On Glassdoor, there were seven positive reviews written a month or two apart from each other, and all of them were written in the same style and had grammatical errors. It was obvious that they were all written by the same person.

I don't trust Glassdoor reviews.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Glassdoor is the echo chamber of bitter former employees.

People mostly post if they have a negative to say. Read the reviews and think to yourself that it's as bad as it can get? You can deal with it if that's all.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Fe...ws-E236635.htm 3.8

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Wa...views-E715.htm 3.2

Fed gov vs Walmart review, guess being a Fed is only slightly better than working at Walmart right?

Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
It’s interesting, I have found a lot of accuracy in them. One company I was interviewing for had a review about the CEO cancelling a video interview by email minutes before it was supposed to start. The person had put a presentation together and everything. The exact same thing happened to me.

Another company brought me across country for an in person interview, then ghosted me. Two reviews were posted on Glassdoor with the same scenario.

I look at reviews of my current company and my former company, mostly accurate.

I take them with a grain of salt, but look for significant warning signs.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:16 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
For a large company, a lot. Smaller companies can have things skewed greatly by an unhappy employee or too. Most places I've worked at - Glassdoor has been accurate for.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:21 AM

732 posts, read 968,975 times
I have seen plenty of places where the highly skilled technical, engineering, science and medical staff are treated like garbage, yet the vast majority of reviews on glassdoor are by administrative, housekeeping, data entry, paperwork, and other basic staff who outnumber the technical skilled staff but had fairly decent defined treatment and benefits. In this case the glassdoor review was a high positive yet if you were one of the few technical and other highly skilled employees the glassdoor review was just not exactly what you would think. I think that happens lots where the highly skilled are few, and the paperpushers are many. Which happens to be the trend in the USA unfortunately. I'm retired now so don't look much at glassdoor anymore, but I would say it wasn't working for the more skilled.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Look at the comments and find a trend. If the overall feedback is negative, chances are its true. Hundreds of people can't be "wrong". If 90 percent of the comments are "Management sucks and couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag".. Yea most likely management sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment