U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:43 PM

18,887 posts, read 7,346,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
For the past several months, I've been eating breakfast on Saturdays at a certain popular chain restaurant, and occasionally I've visited during the week. Something I had noticed is that the waiters are always different. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone working there more than once. Well, this place has two big "now hiring servers" signs in the front window, and one day I learned why they are always hiring.

This behemoth of a woman who smelled like cigarette smoke and quite frankly looked like "trailer trash" came out of an office and started screaming at the guy who had waited on my table, in front of me and all of the other customers over a simple mistake. I forget what he did, but it was something simple like maybe serving someone the wrong food. He was a young, clean cut looking guy who was probably in his late teens or early 20s, and we had struck up a small conversation where he told me that he was going to college. He was very polite and professional when he waited on my table. He reacted calmly and handled the situation much better than I would have. Restaurant jobs are a dime a dozen. If it were me, I would have told her to stick it where the Sun doesn't shine and walk out the door.

That restaurant lost a customer on that day (me), and possibly others who were disgusted by her treatment of a young man just doing his job.

I also thought about how that guy will probably go on to have a decent career while that moron will be stuck managing chain restaurants and experiencing periods of unemployment. I can't imagine that her higher ups are impressed with the constant turnover at the location that she is managing.
If the restaurant has a social media presence, please write what happened there, and your response. Over 15 years ago, I was managing a Finance department in Tn, stopped to get food at a local grocery store we had an account with. Horrible customer ahead of me was arguing with cashier on a pricing issue, and since I had shopped in same aisle, I knew she was correct. She was very polite, explaining it in detail, but manager (A Bubba idiot) gave customer unearned concession and yelled at her there. I paid for my items, put them in car, went back, knocked on managers door, reminded him how much my company spent annually, and told him he had two options, apologize to her in public at the register now, or lose our account, with my company telling the franchisee (who I knew) and the parent company, why they lost the account. He wisely apologized.

You need to go past walking out, and throw the manager under the bus using all available options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 02:01 PM

18,887 posts, read 7,346,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Because it often doesn't do any good. Abusive/toxic management is endlessly tolerated if the store is profitable.

In my example, it's the Denny's that you reach after 15 miles of Highway 17 to Santa Cruz. It's the first place to stop, it's convenient to reach, and it's going to catch a huge percentage of traffic with hungry kids etc.

The manager was someone who should have been locked up.

We stormed out and headed back up 17 to Scott's Valley, where we had the choice of a small, slightly grimy looking Mom'n'Pop... or another Denny's. We chose the latter. It was clean and quiet and the older man who waited on us was exceptional, so I told him how we'd gotten there. He sank into a chair opposite us and laughed until he had to wipe his eyes, then told us the story. The Santa Cruz store was something like #3,400 out of 3.400 stores in ratings... and the second or third most profitable store in the chain. It caught nearly every first-time visitor coming in to town... not a one who ever came back, but it didn't matter.

Toxic management was allowed to reign.
I'd still contact Dennys, and ask "Is this the type of employee you want representing you?"

The good location makes it less likely they would, as anyone can manage it to profitability. Good corp execs know that, so they may not be willing to sacrifice impressions when many others can manage it also.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:10 PM

8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'd still contact Dennys, and ask "Is this the type of employee you want representing you?"
I'm sure people did - as the second guy said, that store had the worst ratings in the whole chain.

This was, however, well over 20 years ago and on the far side of nearly all of Denny's stumbles and problems as a chain. I have no idea if the situation is resolved or if that store is even still there.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:05 PM

3,630 posts, read 7,242,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
They own the land and the business is just used to pay property tax, the rest is pure profit.
You've clearly never owned a restaurant.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Once. A local fish restaurant owner was notorious for poorly treating his staff to the point has was known as "fish Nazi" around town. I stopped going there.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM

8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yup, there was a restaurant in my old neighborhood that was similar to this. She would yell at staff and customers all the time. It was widely known and a lot of people boycotted the place. No idea how they are still open, no one I know will go there.
Not quite the thread topic, but we lived near a Japanese restaurant that was run by an absolute caricature of a dragon lady - tiny Asian woman around 50, who ran the place like something between an imperial kitchen and a prison mess hall. Never, ever addressed or acknowledged customers directly, and snapped orders to the terrified staff that I'm sure were as demeaning as possible.

We'd been there a few times, and then we went in one Saturday evening as a group of a about eight. We must have done something to offend Her Imperial Highness, because we got treatment I've only otherwise read about: we got ignored and ultra-slow-served while she stood in a corner and glared past us. After about forty-five minutes, one of us was still lacking a drink and two of us had been served salads. The staff were circling our table in utter embarrassment but clearly did not dare serve us properly. We finally got the point and left, throwing a ten on the table.

To this day, I have no idea what honked her off, but I later heard she did it routinely for groups she didn't think were adequately... adequate for her service. And make no mistake, this was a strip-mall Chinese place, about as pretentious as a Taco Bell, not some fine-dining Manchurian place. And we were well-enough dressed and behaved and so forth.

I always wanted to go back and drip a little butyl mercaptan on the sidewalk in front of her door. Walking up to a Chinese place that smelled like week-old dead goat would have set just the right tone.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:49 PM

9,395 posts, read 6,264,555 times
I would, most likely,contact the Regional Manager and the home office and report the manager

Old 04-01-2019, 08:02 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,335,087 times
Various things sometimes turn me off to restaurants. An a-hole manager dragging her knuckles around yelling at staff is one of them. There are so many restaurants with most of them all serving basically the same thing these days, there is no reason to keep going to one that something bothers you about. From my office, there are probably at least 30 or 40 restaurants within just a few miles. Just mark it off the list and move on.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM

2,075 posts, read 600,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
You've clearly never owned a restaurant.
Elaborate.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Yup.
Lots of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or