Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:33 AM

41 posts, read 24,111 times

Advertisements

For the past several months, I've been eating breakfast on Saturdays at a certain popular chain restaurant, and occasionally I've visited during the week. Something I had noticed is that the waiters are always different. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone working there more than once. Well, this place has two big "now hiring servers" signs in the front window, and one day I learned why they are always hiring.

This behemoth of a woman who smelled like cigarette smoke and quite frankly looked like "trailer trash" came out of an office and started screaming at the guy who had waited on my table, in front of me and all of the other customers over a simple mistake. I forget what he did, but it was something simple like maybe serving someone the wrong food. He was a young, clean cut looking guy who was probably in his late teens or early 20s, and we had struck up a small conversation where he told me that he was going to college. He was very polite and professional when he waited on my table. He reacted calmly and handled the situation much better than I would have. Restaurant jobs are a dime a dozen. If it were me, I would have told her to stick it where the Sun doesn't shine and walk out the door.

That restaurant lost a customer on that day (me), and possibly others who were disgusted by her treatment of a young man just doing his job.

I also thought about how that guy will probably go on to have a decent career while that moron will be stuck managing chain restaurants and experiencing periods of unemployment. I can't imagine that her higher ups are impressed with the constant turnover at the location that she is managing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Yup, there was a restaurant in my old neighborhood that was similar to this. She would yell at staff and customers all the time. It was widely known and a lot of people boycotted the place. No idea how they are still open, no one I know will go there.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
As I'm thinking back throughout the yrs, not really. I haven't discovered about bad treatment first-hand personally, except reading reviews on YELP, which I do read quite often & am a YELP reviewer on there myself (written just about 800 reviews on establishments). The closest I've gotten to this is not even going to a certain place for the 1st time if it doesn't seem worth it OR is bad for legit reasons, etc.

I don't think most people think about this kind of thing because if the staff is being treated badly, it's up to them to quit, but I can definitely appreciate the customer loyalty & staff support! In fact, more people should do it, so bad bosses can think about their actions & how they appear to the public.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
There was a place that eventually closed and it had a number of reviews where people complained about how the owner/manager spoke to the other employees.

Actually, I went to a diner and the way the owner (or manager, not sure) spoke to another employee and then turned around and spoke to the patrons in this fake, nice voice was a real turnoff. I haven't been there since.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It was widely known and a lot of people boycotted the place. No idea how they are still open, no one I know will go there.
They own the land and the business is just used to pay property tax, the rest is pure profit.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:19 PM

130,179 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Yes, a woman we knew, who we visited a few times a week, got fired ( for no good reason, we also knew the owner, she's nuts) so we stopped going to that place, & instead, went to her new location.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Stormed out of a sh*thole Denny's in Santa Cruz after the 25yo manager raged and berated his grossly overworked floor staff for half an hour. Half the restaurant followed us.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
No, but I would!

Old 03-31-2019, 01:28 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
If these are restaurant chains, then why aren't any of you contacting the corporate office about this abuse?

I once took my grandmother out to a popular "garden". While we were there, I heard someone yelling and swearing at someone else all the way over to the other side. We promptly left but on the way out, I went over to give an earful to the person doing the ranting and to my surprise, it was the owner berating an employee. Not only did I tell him (in front of his employee) that we were leaving and why, but that I would tell everyone I know what had happened.

I was an employee of a convenience store for four years and even there we didn't allow screaming and swearing from anyone, especially in front of the customers.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If these are restaurant chains, then why aren't any of you contacting the corporate office about this abuse?
Because it often doesn't do any good. Abusive/toxic management is endlessly tolerated if the store is profitable.

In my example, it's the Denny's that you reach after 15 miles of Highway 17 to Santa Cruz. It's the first place to stop, it's convenient to reach, and it's going to catch a huge percentage of traffic with hungry kids etc.

The manager was someone who should have been locked up.

We stormed out and headed back up 17 to Scott's Valley, where we had the choice of a small, slightly grimy looking Mom'n'Pop... or another Denny's. We chose the latter. It was clean and quiet and the older man who waited on us was exceptional, so I told him how we'd gotten there. He sank into a chair opposite us and laughed until he had to wipe his eyes, then told us the story. The Santa Cruz store was something like #3,400 out of 3.400 stores in ratings... and the second or third most profitable store in the chain. It caught nearly every first-time visitor coming in to town... not a one who ever came back, but it didn't matter.

Toxic management was allowed to reign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment