Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 10:56 AM

288 posts, read 201,626 times

Advertisements

I was given the silent treatment today at lunch when I sat with some colleagues because I reported 1 of them to their line manager as instructed by the IT manager for not doing their job properly. Their line manager was there too ignoring me. It got me down they ignored me as I have done so much for their team and got no support. I had to report them for not doing their job properly as I was having to correct their mistakes as they were purposely not inputting crucial data to the system and they had also been told by someone else to input the data but chose to ignore them. I asked IT if they could put in a mandatory field and they said no because it is a training issue to be reported to the line manager and not an IT issue. This data is vital and will cause long term issues to the business.

There is another issue now where the same person is not amending the status on a case and they do another part of the task and leave it then. I have to then go and change the status on the system as it is still showing as active on the system which is time consuming. Again not my job. This person was shown multiple times by myself and her line manager how to do this but has chosen not to. I don't know who I can report this issue to and might need to speak to my line manager.

This person wants to me to apply for a job in their team and they would be my line manager. I have far more experience than them but chose not to apply for the their job due to the unrealistic workload and former colleagues had burnt out from the role. I find them abrupt and approachable.

A while back she invited me to her house as part of her manipulation tactics and said I should apply for a job there. When I got the job I found out that she had manipulated the manager to get me to do her work. I was always batting the work back and the issue only got resolved when we split teams so we no longer worked together and she had to do it. Since then she never invited me to her house which was all part of her plan, used and discarded.

I am even still covering some tasks for her team until they recruit for a vacant post. It is not my job to do but no-one else in the organisation knows how to do it. I will definitely train the new person as they will need to do this. Why am I being ignored and treated badly because I am following the company policy and procedures and this person thinks it's ok to not follow the procedures and pass their work on. I don't think I can learn anything from her if I got the job as I know more than she does and I would get bad anxiety knowing she would try and pass her work on. She would also expect me to cover her on annual leave and I had to do this for the previous person but I got no extra pay even though the role pays more.

Am I best to just avoid going in the office the days the days they don't go in? This person make me feel on edge. Ex colleagues said when they were leaving she was toxic as she would gossip about people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 06:20 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Decisions/judgements you make won't always be popular with everyone. Some of this drama seems rather petty. If you can't get your concerns addressed employee to employee and the other line manager isn't listening to you (why would they exactly? You aren't their report, right?) maybe this is something to elevate through YOUR line manager and be prepared to provide evidence to back up your report. They don't have time to run down non-specifics. Let line managers deal between others at their level. Are you certain of your ground in making the report? Report the problem in terms of how it hurts the company's efficiency and bottom line, not because you don't like it. Leave the personal cra*p out of it. If you're sure of your ground, ignore the silent ones and stick to what you know is pertinent. I'd be careful about reporting what could be construed as gossip. That won't endear you to anyone at any level.

As for the interpersonal stuff, you need to grow a thicker hide OP and learn how to co-exist with co-workers (well, people) you don't like. Not going into the office just to avoid colleagues you don't happen to feel comfortable around is juvenile. You're going to work around types like this so better get used to it. Plus, it takes power away from you and hands it over to them. A lot has been written about how to get along with co-workers you don't like and how to resist manipulation. I'd suggest you read some of it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-15-2023 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 06:58 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
why are you complaining about the work performance of other people to their manager?

Old 11-16-2023, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
why are you complaining about the work performance of other people to their manager?
Because I am having to correct their mistakes as it affects my work tasks I need to complete and it is not my job. Next time I will go through their line manager.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You aren't their report, right?) maybe this is something to elevate through YOUR line manager and be prepared to provide evidence to back up your report. They don't have time to run down non-specifics. Let line managers deal between others at their level.
You are right, that was bad advice I was told to go to their line manager. I should have gone through my line manager and he could have gone to that line manager.

Quote:
Are you certain of your ground in making the report? Report the problem in terms of how it hurts the company's efficiency and bottom line, not because you don't like it. Leave the personal cra*p out of it. If you're sure of your ground, ignore the silent ones and stick to what you know is pertinent. I'd be careful about reporting what could be construed as gossip. That won't endear you to anyone at any level.
This is good advice. Talk about the company effiency affected and not own personal feelings

Quote:
A lot has been written about how to get along with co-workers you don't like and how to resist manipulation. I'd suggest you read some of it.
I will read up on getting along with difficult co-workers and manipulation.

Thanks for replying to my long post.

Last edited by Grace84; 11-16-2023 at 02:27 AM..

Old 11-16-2023, 06:56 AM

376 posts, read 320,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
Because I am having to correct their mistakes as it affects my work tasks I need to complete and it is not my job. Next time I will go through their line manager.
You report this to your manager and let them know it’s affecting your ability to do your job and the overall productivity of the team and don’t correct their errors. They should be correcting their errors and that’s for your manager and that employee’s manager to resolve. Do not correct someone else’s errors.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:06 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, far too often, this is the situation. Most of modern work depends on others to do their part at the right time. If someone else does shoddy work, or delivers late, it impacts you. You have to redo their work or do extra to work around their mistakes. And if they're late, it puts you in a time crunch, especially if your phase of the work occurs toward the end of the process.

I've often seen management put all the pressure & blame on the last person/team in a process when in reality all the problems and delay happened before it ever got to you.

Compounding things, many managers aren't willing to confront their counterparts even though their team is the one taking the blame.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:12 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Quote:
I was given the silent treatment today at lunch when I sat with some colleagues because I reported 1 of them to their line manager as instructed by the IT manager for not doing their job properly. Their line manager was there too ignoring me. It got me down they ignored me as I have done so much for their team and got no support. I had to report them for not doing their job properly as I was having to correct their mistakes as they were purposely not inputting crucial data to the system and they had also been told by someone else to input the data but chose to ignore them. I asked IT if they could put in a mandatory field and they said no because it is a training issue to be reported to the line manager and not an IT issue. This data is vital and will cause long term issues to the business.

There is another issue now where the same person is not amending the status on a case and they do another part of the task and leave it then. I have to then go and change the status on the system as it is still showing as active on the system which is time consuming. Again not my job. This person was shown multiple times by myself and her line manager how to do this but has chosen not to. I don't know who I can report this issue to and might need to speak to my line manager.

This person wants to me to apply for a job in their team and they would be my line manager. I have far more experience than them but chose not to apply for the their job due to the unrealistic workload and former colleagues had burnt out from the role. I find them abrupt and approachable.

A while back she invited me to her house as part of her manipulation tactics and said I should apply for a job there. When I got the job I found out that she had manipulated the manager to get me to do her work. I was always batting the work back and the issue only got resolved when we split teams so we no longer worked together and she had to do it. Since then she never invited me to her house which was all part of her plan, used and discarded.

I am even still covering some tasks for her team until they recruit for a vacant post. It is not my job to do but no-one else in the organisation knows how to do it. I will definitely train the new person as they will need to do this. Why am I being ignored and treated badly because I am following the company policy and procedures and this person thinks it's ok to not follow the procedures and pass their work on. I don't think I can learn anything from her if I got the job as I know more than she does and I would get bad anxiety knowing she would try and pass her work on. She would also expect me to cover her on annual leave and I had to do this for the previous person but I got no extra pay even though the role pays more.

Am I best to just avoid going in the office the days the days they don't go in? This person make me feel on edge. Ex colleagues said when they were leaving she was toxic as she would gossip about people too.
Do not take direction from another department about what you should do. Maybe it is a training issue or maybe IT should make it a mandatory field. You should have presented the issue to your manager that the field is not getting inputted and you requested IT make it a mandatory field and their response. Let your manager decide the best way to fix the problem.

You did try to problem solve the issue the right way with IT but should have escalated it from that point to your manager for resolution. Always avoid fault finding and let your manager handle performance issues.

It appears you are not aware of office politics. What is done is done. Just keep you head low and do your job. Hopefully when a new person joins the organization, you will have someone for comradery.

Last edited by Maddie104; 11-16-2023 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-16-2023, 07:49 AM

1,880 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
I was given the silent treatment today at lunch when I sat with some colleagues because I reported 1 of them
A while back she invited me to her house...Since then she never invited me to her house
Am I best to just avoid going in the office the days the days they don't go in? This person make me feel on edge.

You seem to have a knack for getting "too close" to your coworkers and expecting them to be friends with you. This isn't the first time you have come here complaining about your colleagues as they pertain to your social life, e.g., you friended some on social media and then didn't know how to untangle yourself from them. I'm friends with a lot of my coworkers, even former ones, but I only do so with people I am proud to say I worked with them, not ones who I am constantly having to go behind.

Also, since when is it OK to just not go into work because you feel uncomfortable being around a worker you chose to report? If you're going to talk the talk, you best walk the walk.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
You report this to your manager and let them know it’s affecting your ability to do your job and the overall productivity of the team and don’t correct their errors. They should be correcting their errors and that’s for your manager and that employee’s manager to resolve. Do not correct someone else’s errors.
In hindsight I should have gone to my line manager who would have sorted it. You are right I should not be correcting others errors and the time lost impacts our team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment