U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 PM

18,839 posts, read 7,324,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You might be able to force compliance (at a cost), but you can't force respect, and you're not going to get the latter until you're perceived better.
Great point.

From OP's first post "At my previous job as a supervisor, I disciplined employees with attitudes and this type of behavior early on without hesitation."

Smart managers hesitate, as they try alternative means which build teams up, not add friction. In doing so, they improve the culture, and EARN respect.

Respect is not about title. Its about character. Managers must EARN it. Fear is not a valuable commodity for a manager. It destroys morale, alienates the keepers and the losers.

Work on earning respect, and you will not find a constant "need" to "discipline".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,111,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Unfortunately, you have a boss who doesn't like difficult conversations. I would meet with the boss and tell him that everyone is not happy, and that ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. Reiterate expectations to the employee, document and, if the boss won't support you, look for a new job.
Agree. and if the OP does anything other than what he boss has suggested then he/she looks like the insubordinate one. I just don't see how this can turn out good for the OP. I totally understand him wanting to address the lead early on though. OTOH, this is a case of pick your battle or let it ride.
Unfortunately, I'm in a similar situation now where I have responsibility w/o authority, a manager who's a people pleaser, and I have no support as an outsider. It gets old after awhile.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 AM

325 posts, read 394,519 times
I've seen resentment and hostility even with internal promotions, probably as much as bringing in outsiders to fill a management position. Let's face it... a lot of people are simply petty and think too highly of themselves to consider the fact that they can't manage a team. Or at the very least they can't handle that fact that someone else may be better for the role. Of course, the natural instinct is to lash out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thatís why management positions suck. And why I feel most management positions should be filled from inside the company. This is the type of nonsense that happens when you bring in all your management from outside and donít promote internally. Resentment, hostility, turnover, disengaged workforce etc. Iíve seen too companies go to hell with outside hiring of management and disregarding promotions of current employees

Old 04-05-2019, 09:33 AM

3,934 posts, read 3,257,479 times
I've worked for many different personality types and the worst was the guy who came from the Navy officer ranks and expected that same level of subservience from us civilian employees. The OP's lament sounds like a case of a boss wanting to "make his mark" by demonstrating the power he has over the woman in question. Establishing the dominant position is an all too often primary task for many in the ranks of supervision, productivity suffers, but the boss establishes himself as the Alpha and that's what floats his boat.

It takes a whole lot of ingenuity to be a good lead person, "helping" rather than dictating to fellow workers. Supervision, on the other hand mostly requires the boss to exercise his authority, right, or wrong. The Team-work approach has replaced much of the need for supervision, most people don't need a supervisor in the workplace anyway and this example may be one that is a ripe candidate for the self directed Team concept as a way to support and challenge the employees.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:14 PM

684 posts, read 248,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Simple solution: Give this lady more work and harder work. Give her the worst assignments. Drive her out with a smile on your face every single day.
That sounds like bullying and unfair if that lady had had quite some workload on her plate already. That's very mean and abusive. It's very wrong. You cannot do like that.

Being a manager does not mean you can use your position and "power" to punish any employee because you simply feel that person is "insubordinate" (insubordinate can be subjective). Sometime it maybe is your own feeling to like or dislike someone because someone is "afraid" of you and/or flatter you, and someone else is just who she is, works hard for the company, not very socializing and does not come to you to mingle and sweet talk with you to make you feel good, and she dares to speak up for herself.

I knew a manager who treated employees based on how she liked or disliked them and gave more work, harder work and heavier work to the ones she did not like and favoured the ones she liked. She created lots of conflicts and friction among employees and employees and herself. That was exactly how she teared down the team; and she had gotten herself into lots of troubles also. And the ones who were treated unfairly by that manager reported her to the higher up. The higher up investigated and saw what she did was wrong, and they stopped her.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 04-05-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or