U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all, I have posted here before about my boss (idk how to link an old thread) but the TL;DR of it is: make sexual harassment complaints about boss to HR; Boss then started putting a bunch of unnecessary work on my plate and having me work 10+ hour days for no reason and no compensation for (basically) doing new jobs than just my job now.

Now, for the new stuff.

For the past 2 weeks, my boss has CONSISTENTLY been screwing up. Double-booking meetings, saying the wrong things to candidates or C-level executives, as well as just generally saying the wrong things.

After every wrong then, he'll look at me and be like, "well I messed up again. This is why I need you to pick up my slack and check everything I do" (?? I am sorry but occasionally, sure, but he is a 40 year old man expecting to never take the fall for his screw-ups and to drag me down).

Or he will physically get PO'd and then say, "I need you to overlook everything I am doing because it is making me look bad".... Knowing that I literally had nothing to do with what he screwed up on.

Now it is just getting to the point where it honestly just seems like I have to babysit my boss and then take the blame for all of his screw ups because he can't seem to do his job right.

I have been applying for jobs, but because I live in a high COL city, most jobs I am seeing pay lower than what I get.

What am I supposed to do now? I really don't want his downfall to be my downfall. I don't know if he is genuinely just screwing up, or still "punishing" me for going to HR about him.

You haven't acted on the previous advice in your other threads, why would you listen to anybody now? Nothing will change, unless you change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 PM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
You already know your boss is trying to push you out, get you fired, or get you to quit -- because of your sexual harassment complaint to HR.

So yes, expect more of what's been happening since then.
I didn't say roll over and accept it, but just expect more of it.

I'm sure others will have more advice.
MAYBE, just maybe if you inform HR that you consider his latest behavior to be retaliation for your complaint.....they MIGHT get him to lay off. When you think about it, it really isn't smart to retaliate against people.....because then they're violating even more employment laws than not addressing the initial complaint.

You've said you're looking for a new job. I hope you're looking like your livelihood depends on it. Because it does.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:26 PM

2,066 posts, read 598,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Understood - sincerely - but you may well be told it's part of your job, and may honk off your boss and his superior by whining about it.

Best to talk to your boss about the issues, remaining calm and saying you're committed to doing a good job, but you need organization and understanding to be his effective EA/AA. If he continues to be erratic and demanding and accusatory, it's unlikely there's any solution short of a new job.
Why do people think it's a good idea to try and talk rationally to individuals like this?

OP's boss has proven himself to be a blithering idiot and the first thing you suggest is to level with him?

As GWB Jr. said.... WE DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS!!!!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM

817 posts, read 1,431,865 times
It's really important to know who your boss will be when you sign up for a job. If he was hired later, you kind of have to roll with it. Either upper management is already on to this guy and trying to get rid of him or they love him and will just get rid of you. Either way, you will really have no impact on the situation. If I were in that situation I would do everything to make that boss happy, within reason, and try to look for another job. You want to leave a job with decent references.

I was in a managerial position and while most of the people under me thought I did a fantastic job, there were always a few disgruntled workers who thought they would get somewhere by going to upper management. The problem is that upper management believed in me 100% and I kept them informed about those I managed. By the time a complaint reached them, they already knew who the worker was and the whole situation. Most of the time upper management would push me to get rid of that person.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM

213 posts, read 83,752 times
Default Feels like my company keeps setting me up for failure

I've posted on here before about my company (you're welcome to look at the other posts).

So I am a Recruiter, and part of my job is to find people for certain, niche positions. A big help is LinkedIn Recruiter, because it gives me more detail than just normal recruiter.

I've been at the company for 6 months now, and my company has not bought me the LinkedIn Recruiter 'seat' yet. It has been discussed many times, but keeps not happening due to the price (it's about 9k a year for the full, but for the 'lite' version, which is all I'd really need, is like $120 a month)... Mind you, this company spends money on their travel and food often, but not much on recruiting.

Today and yesterday, I had/have been basically yelled at for not doing my job and finding people via-LinkedIn Recruiter... Because I don't have it... Because my company still has not bought it for me.

So at this point, it honestly feels like they are just setting me up for failure and I am unable to do my job correctly.

What am I supposed to do here?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 AM

140 posts, read 87,138 times
What is their response when you remind them that you first need the LinkedIn Recruiter up and running? Then you'd be happy to recruit via-LinkedIn. Not possible otherwise, only the normal recruiter is available.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM

213 posts, read 83,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyWren View Post
What is their response when you remind them that you first need the LinkedIn Recruiter up and running? Then you'd be happy to recruit via-LinkedIn. Not possible otherwise, only the normal recruiter is available.
"Go talk to 'Amy' (CFO) about it"... So myself or my supervisor will bring it up again, and they'll say, 'Oh yeah, let's get it for you' and then it doesn't happen... This has happened about 5 times now

Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM

140 posts, read 87,138 times
Perhaps your boss and Amy need to chat.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM

2,066 posts, read 598,252 times
Thanks, now I can tell my friend why he doesn't get inquiries on LinkedIN anymore

Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Could you buy it yourself and then just have the co reimburse you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or